SFW?

COLO3D

Very Active Member
Some of us are not residents of Utah, so please help us out and let us know who SFW is and why some many people think they are the devil.

They're a conservation group like the RMEF. They have their own ideas about how to manage big game and alot of people don't agree with them, think they stick their nose where it doesn't belong and think they know more than biologists with degrees in managing wildlife. Hit the search function like the previous post suggested for both good and bad comments about SFW. Their founder, Don Peay, posts here as well.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.sfwsfh.org/

Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife (SFW) is a non-profit wildlife conservation organization of sportsmen members who are interested in preserving and increasing healthy, populations of wildlife throughout the Western United States.
Healthy and abundant game populations require good habitat, protected winter range, aggressive predator management, a committed game and fish agency, and active federal land managers. All of these issues are controlled by politicians who make laws, set priorities and policies, and determine how sportsmen license dollars are spent. To produce large mature animals, there must also be reasonable control of hunter harvest.

SFW works with elected officials at all levels?from the community courthouse to the Whitehouse?to improve and protect quality hunting and fishing on our great public lands and waters. SFW members are active participants in wildlife conservation having successfully raised tens of millions of dollars for wildlife that now benefits multiple game species. We have been on the front lines, from the steps of Capitol Hill to the tallest mountain peaks, we are the few who fight for the many. We are sportsmen serving sportsmen and are motivated by our passion for hunting and fishing. We are committed to making every necessary policy and political change to benefit wildlife and sportsmen alike.

So, if you enjoy hunting elk, mule deer, moose, bighorn, antelope, bison, wild turkey, and other birds and fish, you need to join our ranks, become a member of SFW, and be part of wildlife?s future.

{"They're a conservation group like the RMEF. They have their own ideas about how to manage big game and alot of people don't agree with them, think they stick their nose where it doesn't belong and think they know more than biologists with degrees in managing wildlife."}

Boy sounds an awful lot like BOBCAT!!

JUst kidding don't start yelling at me!!!!

Have their own ideas... lots of people don't agree ... stick their noses where they don't belong and think they know more than those with the degrees...

Dude, you ain't talking about the SFW, you're talking about my Mother in Law!!

I didn't realize you knew her. Leave her out of this discussion if you don't mind. ;-)

Thanks.

JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST tp!!!

JUDAS!!!

THERES A DIFFERENCE!!!

I WASN'T BRAIN WASHED AT A SCHOOL/COLLEGE!!!

WHAT I'VE SEEN HAPPEN OVER THE YEARS WITH DWR TACTICS WITH WHO KNOWS HOW MANY BIOLOGISTS DON'T IMPRESS ME MUCH!!!

I'VE SEEN THE DEER HERDS SUFFER FOR MANY YEARS!!!

AFTER A FASHION OR IN THE LAST 30 FRICKEN YEARS DON'T YOU THINK WITH ALL THE "BIOLOGISTS WITH DEGREES" THE DEER HERDS OUGHT TO BE DOING A LITTLE BETTER THAN THEY ARE???

WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

AND YES I AM YELLING!!!

YOU GONNA FRICKEN LISTEN???

THE ONLY bobcat SUGGESTING YOU BOYS BETTER COWBOY-UP,IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY ORGANIZATIONS ARE HANDLING THINGS MAYBE YOU'D BETTER START YOUR OWN,AND DON'T START YOUR OPPORTUNIST BULL$HIT NIETHER!!!

RE: JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST tp!!!

>
>AFTER A FASHION OR IN THE
>LAST 30 FRICKEN YEARS DON'T
>YOU THINK WITH ALL THE
>"BIOLOGISTS WITH DEGREES" THE DEER
>HERDS OUGHT TO BE DOING
>A LITTLE BETTER THAN THEY
>ARE???
>
>WAKE THE HELL UP!!!
>
>AND YES I AM YELLING!!!
>
>YOU GONNA FRICKEN LISTEN???
>
>THE ONLY bobcat SUGGESTING YOU BOYS
>BETTER COWBOY-UP,IF YOU DON'T LIKE
>THE WAY ORGANIZATIONS ARE HANDLING
>THINGS MAYBE YOU'D BETTER START
>YOUR OWN,AND DON'T START YOUR
>OPPORTUNIST BULL$HIT NIETHER!!!

See...like I said...some like em'...some don't. I think we all know how Bobcat feels. LOL

The ONLY Jenn who likes it when Bobcat is fiesty and all fired up. Wondering what other hot buttons I can push w/the Cat today...... lol Calm down, Bobcat...I'll be right over with my quad and we can take a nice, relaxing drive through the forest, ok? ;-)

>Have their own ideas... lots
>of people don't agree ...
> stick their noses where
>they don't belong and think
>they know more than those
>with the degrees...
>
>Dude, you ain't talking about
>the SFW, you're talking about
>my Mother in Law!!
>
>I didn't realize you knew her.
>Leave her out of this
>discussion if you don't mind.
> ;-)
>
>Thanks.

LOL Got one of THOSE kind of MILs do ya? But hey...don't shoot the messenger on this one. I was just telling the guy why some people think they are the devil.

Don't know about the SFW in Utard and don't care. In Wyoming they've whored up with the outfitting and ranching industry. These are the same folks who introduced and bought legislation requiring guides for non residents in wilderness area's as well filed multiple lawsuits over the years trying to take a larger cut of available big game hunting licenses. Not too long ago, the SFW was pushing for license set asides at the expense of non resident license quota's. A legislative committee recognized their bullchit for what it was and slammed their tallywhackers right in the dirt. There are better conservation groups in these parts if you have some dollars to spend. I favor the Wyoming Wildlife Federation myself. Something to consider if you live in Wyoming...

RE: JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST tp!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-06 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]Oh Hell BESS you won

I really like the part about getting r done on your own if ya don't agree though.

You know where to send the check right???

Triple k I really don't know how BOBCAT feels. I never can understand his rants. Some times I think I see were they're going and then the next sentence throws me off.

SFW gets things done in Utah. Plain and simple. Do we have our own ideas...Yes. Do we try to make our ideas happen...Yes.
Always with good intentions.

The wealthy do benefit, as does everyone who hunts in Utah.

We take a bad wrap on lots of stuff, but that's part of the deal. Anytime a group is making things happen, it's going to cause some waves.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Where was the Wyoming Wildlife Federation last saturday and the last year working on elk feeding for all of western wyoming ?

Wyoming Game and Fish states that eliminating feedground causes a 40-60% reduction in Wyoming elk herds.

if you are not in that fight, you are not in the conservation game and hunting game in Wyoming.

SFW and WYOGA were the only ones to address this major issue for Wyoming elk and all the sportsmen who want to hunt elk in western wyoming.

Utah wildilfe management was a complete disaster 14 years ago, when SFW formed. Many in the DWR said, "we are going out of business and there is nothing we can do about it." That is why SFW was formed and it is Utah's largest sportsmen group with over 10,000 active and paid members.

Since then, over $100 million has been invested and here are just a few results.

Number of Trophy elk tags up 300%
More book bulls taken in Utah than all the other states combined since 2000. 16 public land bulls over 400 in 2006.
Efforts underway to increase elk from 60,000 to 85,000 head

General season deer population up 150%.
250,000 acres of deer habitat restored in last two years
goal of 1 million acres
several thousand acres of winter range acquired
264 inch monster buck taken on public land by draw hunter.
General season buck doe ratios up from 7 to 17 statewide ave.

Sheep tags up 500% for the average hunter
Number ONe bighorn killed in North America in Utah in 2006

Mt. Goat tags up 500% over the last 14 years. Moose populations are up 150% in Utah, Wyoming's are down, including loosing almost 100 tags around Cody and Jackson. where was the WWF on this one ?

Turkey tags up 400% over the last 14 years. NWTF has been the lead group, SFW has helped with funding.

Constitutional ammendment passed in general election, upheld in two court challanges including 10 to 1 vote in 1oth circuit court to protect Utah hunting from anti-hunting orgs.

The Governor just announced $20 Million in his budget to buy 28,000 acres of school trust lands so the average hunter doesn't get locked out, SFW will play key role in seeing that project become a reality, just as it was in acquiring the Wilcox Ranch that opened up 70,000 acres to the public land sportsmen on that deal.

SFW never backs away from the tough issues. SFW is all about having quality hunts on public lands for public hunters.

If you are a hunter who justs wants to kill lots of stuff every year, don't care about quality, and don't think it is going to take lots of money - hundreds of millions - to keep what we have in the west as the west grows like never before, you probably don't like SFW. Smaltz, like it or not, we live in America, and it is based on capitalism. It takes money to keep what we all love and that is wildlife and wild places.

If you want quality hunting on public lands, and want to see increased herds and bigger bucks, bulls and rams, you will want to be on the SFW team. If you are afraid to get into some of the nasty fights in this business, SFW is NOT the organization for you.

Don Peay
Founder, SFW

That is a very true post dkpeay.

It is no secret that I have always been one to challenge the whole SFW gig....

All the projects from the conservatin tag moneys are well accounted for at the DWR and there is an unbelieveable amount of $$ going on the ground in Utah.

Boone and Crocket and (more coming yearly) in Pope & Young clearly show the upper end of big bulls coming from Utah.

No I certainly 'aint' changing colors.... but when it is in black and white and well documented.... ya gotta believe...

Robb

Don - Although our oppinions vary at times, I appreciate all the countless hours put in to helping insure my kids will get to hunt in the future. When is the SFW banquet? Does the Hunting Expo in January take the place of the individual banquets?

It's always an adventure!!!

Awholelottabull,

i don't know the banquet DAtes, Ryan Foutz is in charge of all that, you can probably get it on the www.sfwsfh.org website.

The expo is really the national FNAWS convention, it happens to be in Utah, and there are two other parterners, and there is a whole lot more stuff to bring every sportsmen out to the party of the year.

SFW county banquets will never be replaced, as they are the backbone of the grass roots that makes it all happen.

The 500 member SFW Beaver County chapter has been worth tens of millions of dollars. Their state senator, Thom Hatch was very avid supporter, and he get tens of millions of dollars, including $3 million to build underpasses north of beaver on 1-15, annual coyote county bounty, $2 million a year habitat fund.

The reason SFW is effective is the large, local county grass roots membership, that can never be replaced.

don

TripleK!!!

hntnhrd HAS A HARD TIME COMPREHENDING WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY!!!

ITS KINDA SIMPLE!!!

YOU CAN'T TAKE MORE FROM A CROP THAN IS PRODUCED!!!

YOU CAN'T OVER HUNT UNITS & HAVE TROPHY UNITS!!!

YOU CAN'T LOWER THE AVERAGE AGE CLASS TO 3-4 YEAR OLD BULLS & PRODUCE TROPHY QUALITY!!!

YOU CAN'T & I REPEAT YOU CAN'T LET EVERY AVERAGE JOE BLOW HUNT TROPHY ELK EVERY YEAR OR IT WOULD BE OVER WITH IN ONE YEAR!!!

FOR YOU OPPORTUNISTS THAT DON'T LIKE WHAT I'VE JUST SAID YOU CAN KISS MY TAIL!!!

THE SFW DID HELP GET THE AGE OBJECTIVES BACK UP A LITTLE,I GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!!

THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHINNING ABOUT THE L.E. ELK UNITS TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO HUNT THEM,NOT EVERY TARD IN THE STATE CAN HUNT THEM BIG STINKY BULLS & THE L.E. UNITS WERE NEVER SET UP SO EVERY OPPORTUNIST IN THE STATE COULD HUNT THEM!!!

ITS KINDA FUNNY IN A WAY!!!

WHEN THE L.E. UNITS WERE FIRST SET UP THEY WERE NOT ALL THAT HOT,BUT AFTER SEVERAL YEARS,A LOT OF HARD WORK,$$$ & MANAGEMENT THEY COME ON STRONG!!!

AT FIRST THERE WASN'T MANY OPPORTUNISTS EVEN THINKING ABOUT THEM UNITS,THE BULLS WERE AVERAGE BULLS AT FIRST BUT BY GOD AFTER THEY BECAME TROPHY CLASS ALOT OF THE OPPORTUNISTS ALL OF A SUDDEN THINK THEY ARE OWED A HUNT,ALOT OF THEM NEVER EVEN PUT .10 OF EFFORT OR MONEY INTO ANY PART OF IT!!!

OH & BY THE WAY TripleK,NEVER UPON EVER SCREW AROUND WITH HoudDawgs MOTHER-IN-LAW!!!

YOU CAN MESS WITH THE OLE cat ANYTIME THOUGH!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WATCHING WITH HIS OWN EYES OVER THE YEARS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DEER HERDS EVERYTIME THE UDWR HANDED THE OPPORTUNISTS WHAT THEY WANTED,FOR 30 YEARS NOW WE'VE HAD AN OPPORTUNIST DEER HERD,YOU CAN HUNT THEM EVERY YEAR,YOU CAN HUNT THEM FOR MONTHS,YOU CAN TAKE A DINK Nomad PISSCUTTER IF YOU'RE LUCKY,BUT AAAAAAAH THE OPPORTUNITY!!!

Mr. Founder

Last time I checked the expo was also the Mule Deer Foundations national convention. Has this changed? Are they no longer a partner?

I heard rumor that they have moved their headquarters to Utah. If this is true I believe they would like to be known for being equal partners in the expo.

Please let us know if this is not the case.

Todd G.

My point that i failed to make is this:

The big Expo will NOT replace the grass roots banquets for MDF or SFW. that was the original question would the expo replace the chapter events, and that will NOT happen for either MDF or SFW.

FNAWS only has one BIG event a year, and this is it.

FNAWS, MDF, and SFH are equal partners in the big expo.

However, it would not be the Expo that it will be without FNAWS bringing all their people and goodies to the party, and sharing them with all of us.

The Expo should be a great time for everyone.

Don

"Where was the Wyoming Wildlife Federation last saturday and the last year working on elk feeding for all of western wyoming ?"
They were probably busy working to keep outfitters from getting more of the NR cut of the tags... Something that you seemed to be working with the outfitters on...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-06 AT 11:09AM (MST)[p]"Number of Trophy elk tags up 300%"
Lets talk real numbers broken down. 300% ??
Lets look at what percentage the elk tag numbers are up in the regular draw, Resident and nonresident. I can tell you for one the nonres hasn't gone up JACK! and never will because anytime the numbers go up the wealthy take them.
Now lets look at the percentage that the wealth tags are up in the last 10 years.. I bet it is in the 1000% or better. Who is benefiting for DP's wealth tags.. the wealthy .
Don, you have done some things i admit it, but sometimes you blatantly disregard what the mass majority of the hunters want thinking were idiots. Let me ask you this... if the F&G of UT started charging a 50$ application fee to raise money for wildlife i bet you wouldn't ask that less wealth tags were given out to offset the gain now would you?
You have other motives. Just like many many many times you were questioned knowing fully that the convention would have raised a huge percentage more money on the raffle tags if there was no mandatory attendance needed but you always allude that question. It is sad that so much sportsman's money that could have been raised for wildlife will instead go to airlines, rental cars, restaurants, motels, and admission. And then the sportsmans who would love to have gave money towards that but just cannot afford to get out there beit time or money, there are many of them here on this forum who you have totally dissapointed.
JMO, your more worried about your wealthy business owner buddies than the wildlife on this whole thing.

Schmalts - I think you are wrong. To be honest, Don Peay is in a position now where if he wanted, he could probably give up helping hunters and lobby for other industries that have a LOT more money than us hunters can pay him.
Your opinion that he has greater concern for the wealthy is wrong.

Conservation tags do raise needed money. The wealthy do benefit from those tags directly, but EVERYONE else who hunts Utah benefits in-directly. Take a look at what Huntsman did for Utah yesterday. Believe me, Don Peay and all of SFW had quite a bit to do with that.
Conservation tags get people out to banquets, SFW recruits members at banquets, and member dollars pay for Don Peay's services. Don Peay and SFW members helped put Huntsman in office. Huntsman appreciates it and shows it.

I hate to see tags that could be available to everyone be auctioned off too, but the benefit is worth the cost, so I live with it.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I have to agree with you Brian, after looking at the money that the Utah governor proposed to go for wildlife this year.
It is sad, but true, that polical clout is needed to make things happen, and SFW has some definite political clout! I just got through reading an article from the California FNAWS, which reported that with a few phone calls, Don Peay and Ray Lee were able to push through changes with a National Park Director, that the California Fish and Game hadn't been able to budge for 10 years. The Director which was an anti-hunter was removed from her position, which opened up the opportunity for a sheep transplant.It helps that we have people in high places, because you know that the anti-hunters have plenty of them there themselves.
The point I make is that SFW has made a difference, and not just for the rich. I am far from rich, but I see things in Utah heading in the right direction. And that was not happening until SFW was formed!

This convention is shapeing up to be the best convention ever. With the 3 partners working together we have been able to do things that any one group alone could never have done.

It has its challenges but will continue to get better as we work through issues. Bringing 3 very different groups together was not an eay task, but all parties involved have put wildlife 1st and egos 2nd.

This is an event that I hope will continue for many years.

See you all in SLC

Tony Abbott

>This convention is shapeing up to
>be the best convention ever.
>With the 3 partners working
>together we have been able
>to do things that any
>one group alone could never
>have done.
>
>It has its challenges but will
>continue to get better as
>we work through issues. Bringing
>3 very different groups together
>was not an eay task,
>but all parties involved have
>put wildlife 1st and egos
>2nd.
>
>This is an event that I
>hope will continue for many
>years.
>
>See you all in SLC
>
>Tony Abbott

See this is the kind of response that they always give..
"but all parties involved have
>put wildlife 1st and egos
>2nd. " once again you didnt put the wildlife first, you put the ORGS and venders first. NO ONE WILL ANSWER A BASIC QUESTION!! why the manditory attendance?? you are turning away tons of cash from around the country just to make this convention a huge bash, at the expennse of the wildlife.
You guys need to take a good hard look at the money raised in the Valles Caldera draw maybe.... Money raised by the wildlife for the wildlife, and none will go to venders and businesses.

Schmalts, You have a point. More money could have be raised for tags alone, if they did'nt require attendence. However, when Gov Huntsmen and legistlators see the money raised from this convention. Hotels, food,skiing, etc. Wildlife gets rewarded as well. ie over 20 million in Huntsmans budget for wildlife!! We will have to see what happens.

Don,

"General season deer population up 150%."

WOW! Care to expand on this?

I'm also curious if CWMU LE tags are part of the tag increases you mentioned-where applicable?

I don't agree with everthing the conservation groups do ESPECIALLY all of the conservation tags (perhaps more so, I don't agree with the way they are distributed), but I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Thanks!

You are correct about it being a proposal, but do you think there would be such a proposal w/o SFW's influence?

Admit it, SFW is doing alot of things that the average joe IS benefitting from, I am an average joe and saw what SFW does and recently joined up. This does not mean I agree with everything they do or try to do, I will call them out when I disagree with them, but if I do NOTHING and join no group I have no voice. Seems like common sense to me. I am on the Board of Directors for UBA and on the RMEF committee in Tooele County so that I HAVE a voice, not because I agree 100% with everything they do or stand for.

I don't agree with everything that SFW does!! I do what the SFW Members and SFW board tells me to do. I obviously give data and input.

I don't agree with everythign the NRA does, but i send them $100 every year, cause without them we are sunk.

Same with sportsmen - sportsmen groups fight to do good for all sportsmen, just think what we could do if more than 15% of all sportsmen got invovled ?

Prism, the deer numbers are based DWR data. Deer herds dropped to about 225,000 - best guess. They are up around 350,000, the goal is 400,000. the direct result of 1. better weather, 2. habitat improvement projects, 3. predator control.

AS far as elk permit go, NO my numbers DO NOT include CWMU tags.

there were around 500 limited trophy elk tags in 1994. 1700 were issued in 2006, AND the quality is better as well.

Glad to answer any questions.

SFW, MDF, FNAWS, we are all committed to listening to our members and doing what is best for the most.

Don

Don - I don't see the numbers you are talking about in the areas that I hunt. Infact it seems to be that they have drastically decreased. I guess my question would be, where are you seeing these drastic increases in deer numbers? I am assuming they are in areas like the Book Cliffs and Henry Mountains but what about the non LE areas. Elk hunting is my first passion and I have to admit that the elk hunting has been fantastic in this state for several years now, but I also think that it has come at the expense of some of our deer areas. What do you have planned to balance this out? I know that your goal is 400,000 but where do you expect to see these increases? Are there any plans for the non LE areas like the area around Strawberry Resevoir? Thanks in advance for your comments.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-06 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-06 AT 09:33?PM (MST)

>Where was the Wyoming Wildlife Federation
>last saturday and the last
>year working on elk feeding
>for all of western wyoming?
>
>if you are not in that
>fight, you are not in
>the conservation game and hunting
>game in Wyoming.
>
>SFW and WYOGA were the only
>ones to address this major
>issue for Wyoming elk and
>all the sportsmen who want
>to hunt elk in western
>wyoming.
>

The WWF wasn't out trying to toot their own horn, that's for sure. The elk refuge managers advised your group they didn't need your hay before it was delivered and they indicated afterwards they would accept it, but not necessarily use it to feed elk. Just keep patting yerself on the back...
-
If you want to rebutt, then don't spin the issue. In Wyoming, your group has whored with the WGOA and some in the agriculture industry. These groups are in it for their own greedy self interests and could care less about the rest of us. Your folks will never garner the credibility and respect of conservation groups like the WWF, Ducks Unlimited and RMEF as long as you continue to pander to those with fat wallets. In this State, your group is a wolf in sheep's clothes...

DON,
IF THIS CONVENTION IS A NATIONAL CONVENTION FOR 2 GROUPS, WHY WERE OTHER STATES NOT ASKED TO DONATE 200 TAGS LIKE UTAH?
NEXT YEAR WHY NOT HIT UTAH FOR 10 TAGS AND ASK THE OTHER STATES TO DONATE THE OTHER 190? THAT WOULD PUT 190 TAGS BACK IN THE DRAW FOR UTAHNS.
I QUOTE THE DEC/JAN ISSUE OF EASTMANS IN THE ELK SECTION FOR UTAH. "AGAIN, WITH UTAH IT SEEMS LIKE THE STATE IS MANAGING FOR THE WEALTHY". GIVE 190 TAGS BACK, THIS MAY HELP THE THAT IMAGE.
THANKS

This is my opinion as an AZ resident of the convention tags and the attendance requirement.

Utah donated these tags and Utah will benefit the most from these tags! There will be alot of money raised by the raffle for wildlife all of which will be spent in Utah. On top of that millions will be dumped into the Utah economy from sales taxes, hotels, food, etc...As Don mentioned this is capatilism. When politicians see the money flowing in from hunting it gives us (sportsmen) more clout when we ask for some of that money back.

Wildlife management, in this era, is more about politics than it is about biology.

One reason there is attendance required for the 200 tags is to show the politicians that hunting is an important industry in this state. If Gov. Huntsman wasn't sold on this he would not be propsing so much general fund tax money for wildlife. If 10,000 people show up it will be a success and the politicians who have to approve this money may or may not be impressed. But if 20,000 show up it will knock them over, the hotels and resturants will be full like never before and the tourism board will get behind us and more then just arm chair biologists will be pushing for more animals, better hunting and fishing it will have a huge influence on policy in this state. So it is not just the money from the $5 application fee that will help wildlife but the participation of sportsmen that will have the lasting affect.
WholeLotabull I agree with you that I have not seen the increase in the deer herd anywhere. I do know that Don is going with numbers he gets from the DWR which should be the best there is. I just do not trust the DWR population numbers.
Dave

If having all the hunters there in Utah is so important then why don't the high rollers need to be there in person to bid on the auction tags. I'm sure they could buy all the expensive hotel rooms and spend a lot of money in utah.

Triple_BB,

You should know what you are talking about before you speak. Mitch King had several private meetings with SFW leadership. Just because you are reading biased articles, from a biased media doesn't make your biased opinion solid. Lets see what happens if Barry feeds his horses or the bison with the hay that was donated for elk calves.

The only truth that remains is that the Wildlife Federation doesn't care enough about the starvation issue on our National Elk Refuge to have mobilized action. SFW WY did. In fact, several people and organizations were at this event. Many of these people donated their own money and time to participate. Like it or not outfitters are sportsmen as well. They have more invested in wildlife then do guys that only think about wildlife during hunt application periods and hunting season. I recogonize that some outfitters have their own agendas and that sometimes they have been selfserving. I can also tell you that most spend more time afield then do the public in general. Having said this, I can also tell you that SFW is looking out for the interest of our members. I did not let the outfitters proposal make it. Yes, we supported the concept of stabolizing their industry. The bill was being discussed by a subcommittee of the Travel, Recreation, and Wildlife Committee. Had SFW wanted the bill to move forward it would have, but I withdrew our support because the bill did not reflect what our Board had understood was going to happen. Two of our Legislators asked me during the break whether or not SFW wanted the bill to move forward. I told them both to let it die so they did. If you want to contact me directly, I would be more then willing to talk with you further about this issue.

Another fact that remains is that the Wildlife Federation has stepped into the wolf lawsuit once again, showing their true colors. They have decided that it is better that wolves remain protected and the USFWS maintain control over wolves rather then recognizing that Wyoming should be able to manage wolves under their (our) terms. As much abuse as SFW and I have taken over outfitters, it amazes me that no one is calling them to task on this matter. People in Wyoming should be outraged that the Wildlife Federation prefers protecting wolves rather then supporting the best available science and approving Wyoming's plan.

No one has mentioned the benefits that we are seeing from Wyoming's Wildlife and Natural Resource Trust (WNRT), which SFW was able to get passed. 2 similar efforts were defeated prior to SFW being at the table.

Some day Wyoming will have $200 million plus in its trust. This trust does not simply benefit members of SFW alone, ALL sportsmen and sportswomen benefit from our actions.

Interestingly enough, some of the groups mentioned above showed up when Legislators were looking at legislation to establish the WNRT; yet, they were not able to get involved and remain on the sidelines of the wolf debate. I haven't seen or heard any one calling these groups out like they have SFW, and frankly speaking, it doesn't matter to me. I will continue to represent Wyoming's Sportsmen and Sportswomen to the best of my abilities. I will answer to them and them alone.

The bottom line is that SFW has taken on and continues to address issues that need to be addressed. Some of these issues are difficult and complex. At least we are trying to address them. Had SFW turned a blind eye to the situation on the National Elk Refuge, I guarantee you that more elk would have starved again this winter in Jackson. For those that would like to learn more about our "Hay Day" efforts visit the following link; http://www.pinedaleonline.com/news/2006/12/HayDaysuccess.htm

Good point Craig, I've always wondered the same. We can also raffle 200 tags at the convention but we cant raffle one at local banquet where EVERYBODY has a chance?

The attorney general will not allow the conservation tags to be raffled at the banquets. ??? Ask the attorney general.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

22 BR,

Go ask Mike Eastman how many acres of elk and deer habitat was plowed and replanted in Wyoming in 2006 ? Utah 150,000 acres.

Mule deer in western Wyoming are not doing well, and old and decadent winter range, with plants impacted from Drought is part of the problem. The Wyoming folks want to get started what utah has been doing for 5 years. With Wyoming's billions in Oil and gas money, they can fund their projects a different way.

The Wyoming Game and Fish and The WY Wildlife Commission had the Utah DWR come and give a presentation on habitat work being done in Utah - about 250,000 acres the last two years. the total cost is about $25 Million.

Utah didn't have any money, so we found a new and creative way to get it done.

The state of Wyoming is a great state, with a lot of great sportsmen, but it is kind of funny that Mike Eastman leases private ranches to hunt exclusively or guide, or make videos or whatever, and he can take shots at utah that clearly is leading the nation in restoring habitat and transplanting new herds - fro the public land sportsmen.

What is more important image - one falsley portrayed by someone who is hipocritical - or results on the ground for wildlife taht benefits all sportsmen ?

Craig,

some states specifically state that auction tags must be auctioned where bidders may bid on the phone.

FNAWS, SFH, and MDF will auction around 150 great hunts and tags. 4,000 hotel rooms have already been booked - lots of people are coming.

It is going to be a great party for everyone.

The governor of Utah just put $20 Million in sales tax money to help buy 28,000 acres of very popular hunting lands so the lands won't be sold and locked up to the average hunter. That is the equivalent of $200 dollars for every Utah deer hunter.

So many of the posts are correct, show the importance of hunting to the economies and see what legislatures and governors are willing to do. Frankly, in mnay politicains words, if it is just about a guys buying a box of shells and a case of beer, not to many people really care. We've been there and done that, and the results are disatstrous for all wildlife and sportsmen.

These are some pictures of a dixie harrow reseed project that was a joint effort SFW, BLM and the State of Utah. The pictures were taken one year from the time the project started. I wish I had before pictures but there were no deer there then and that is the only reason I took these.

A lot of people question the methods of how the money is raised but in the end we all benefit from the results.

4582d52f22b06b42.jpg

4582d54e25fb4f44.jpg

4582d56b26c3b529.jpg

DON I THINK THERE ARE GOOD THINGS GOING ON IN UTAH. BUT I STILL QUESTION WHY UTAH HAS TO GIVE ALL THE 200 TAGS THAT WILL BENIFIT 2 NATIONAL CONVENTIONS. I ASSUME THE MONEY RAISE WILL GO TO THESE GROUPS TO BE SPENT IN OTHER LOCATIONS OTHER THAN UTAH. WHY HAS NO OTHER STATES KICKED IN TAGS SO WE DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE SO MANY FROM UTAHNS.

Other states may want to join in at sometime later. Utah stepped up when other states would not. Now other states are watching as to how this will turn out,

As for taking tags from Utahns I simply don't see it that way. All 200 permits will be availiable to anyone that attends. Also all who attend can apply for every tag and draw 1 of each big game tag. This is not allowed in the regular draw.

I see this as more opportunity to draw for Utahns not less.

You actually have the opportunity to draw elk, deer, sheep, goat, pronghorn, buff and anything else this way, and then if you dont draw you can put in again in the normal draw.

The difference being apply for all at the convention and if you are fortunate enough draw multiple tags, where as in the normal draw you can only apply for 2 species and only draw 1.

More opportunity is what this convention is offering. And Millions will be put in the coffer for wildlife.

Tony Abbott

TONY, I WOULD THINK THE ODDS OF DRAWING A TAG AT THE CONVENTION WILL BE 1 IN 20,000 OR MORE, AS YOU HAVE PROJECTED ATTENDANCE. I THINK MY ODDS ARE BETTER IN THE REGULAR UTAH DRAW.

>it is kind of funny
>that Mike Eastman leases private
>ranches to hunt exclusively or
>guide, or make videos or
>whatever, and he can take
>shots at utah that clearly
>is leading the nation in
>restoring habitat and transplanting new
>herds - fro the public
>land sportsmen.
>
>What is more important image -
>one falsley portrayed by someone
>who is hipocritical - or
>results on the ground for
>wildlife taht benefits all sportsmen?

You definitely excel at talking out of both sides of your mouth. Eastman takes a crack at Utah's pandering to the rich and you respond about his leases. You brought it up. Tell us how many acres he has leased. You can't back it up, then don't spout. I like your comment about being hypocritical. You pander to the WGOA and you talk about benefits to all sportsman. If the WGOA had their way, hunting around here would be no different than in New Mexico or Texas. Only the rich need apply. From that saying in the movie Wall Street, I don't go to bed with no whore and I don't wake up with one. I don't know how you do it...

22BR,

Your comments highlight one of the problems with a drawing type event. People have accused SFW of catering to the "rich and elite"; yet, when an opportunity like this arises you point out that your odds won't be that great. Well, stay home then. Don't come out to the event.

As Tony stated, this is a unique opportunity. You can apply for (200) and obtain (???) more hunts here then you can if you stay home (2), but you can choose what ever you would like to do. Seems fair to me.

Triple BB

From our experience, one of the most important factors used to get large blocks of money for the conservatoin of wildlife for everyone, is to use the economic argument. If it is about jobs, tax revenue, decision makers listen. If it is about a hobby, one week a year, they don't care.

SFW is very supportive of all sportsmen, do it yourselfers, guides and outfitters, sporting good stores, magazines and videos, etc, etc.

SFW supports the private property rights, and the rights of private landowners to lease their lands. The more money they make from hunting, the less likely they will sell it to developers and wildlfie looses.

SFW nor am i hipocritical. These are the stands and we stand by them.

Mike Eastman is the hipocrite. I don't care if he did or does lease ranches and hunt on them. What i do take GREAT exception is that he is the hipocrite, blasting Utah for our conservation sucesses - making it a "rich man's game" and he is leasing ranches, that is the hipocrite.

Once again, how many acres of critical winter range did Mike Eastman treat in 2006 ?

SFW was involved in 150,000 acres, and there is a post on here with photos showing the results.

I will debate Mike Eastman any time, any where on who really gets it done for conservation for the average hunter.

For a year, he has been running his mouth or magazine, schedule the debate, i will be there.

Don Peay

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom