Sharpening a Singblade?

Cookie2

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-10 AT 01:24PM (MST)[p]I got a swingblade for christmas and finally got my deer and got to try it out. It zipped through the brisket like it was butter but..... The blade rolled over in the process and now I'm at a loss as to how you get it sharp again! The skinner is no problem to sharpen but with that blunt end on the zipper blade I can't figure out how I'm gonna get it back in shape. I absolutely refuse to use those carbide cheaters on any of my knives unless there is NO OTHER solution. How about it. Anyone know how to get it back in shape?

OOPS! Didn't see I missed the "W" until already posted!!

I would suggest getting a hold of Outdoor Edge and tell them what happened. I had one of their brisket saws several years ago, broke the handle, called them and told them about it and they sent me a new handle, no questions asked.

"Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade."

Doyle: "What'cha doin' with that lawn mower blade Karl?"

Karl: "I aim to kill you with it."

Joey

I will sharpen it if you give me some french fried potato's with some mustard

sure are a lot of wiseguys on here tonight! It's a SWING blade... not a SLING blade. Carl BTW is one of my all time heros. I would be willing to bet some of you are "not funny ha ha"......

" I would be willing to bet some of you are "not funny ha ha"...... "

LMAO!! :) I too love that movie! Saw it again this evening in fact. My apologies for getting started off topic?

WTH is a "SWING" blade??

Joey

I am assuming you are talking about a "pivot" type double blade knife. One you have a skinning blade, and you can pivot the blade to a "gut hook" for opening the animal to gut it.
If this is the case and your gut hook is now dull, you will need a round stone to resharpen it. Something along the line of a ceramic stone in the shape of a butcher's steel.
If in fact the edge rolled over, that means the steel is too soft and will not keep a good edge even if you resharpen it.
You may need to get a knife with better steel and proper heat treating to hold a good edge.

RELH

>I am assuming you are talking
>about a "pivot" type double
>blade knife. One you have
>a skinning blade, and you
>can pivot the blade to
>a "gut hook" for opening
>the animal to gut it.
>
> If this
>is the case and your
>gut hook is now dull,