Shed Hunters

throwfar

This one goes out to all of those idiots driving their 4 wheelers cross country not a road in sight, dropping trash, and leaving gates open. You do realize you're pushing the bulls deeper into the mountains (maybe not a bad thing for me since that's where I like to hike), and pissing off landowners/ranchers. So the few browns you do find pale in comparison to what people like me find. What does bother me is it's people like you who are going to ruin shed hunting, it's only a matter of time until we see shed hunting regulations. I can imagine most people on here are ethical and do it right, this like most things in life, the few ruin it for the many.

Bingo! I saw offroad tracks near Angel Fire several years ago when I was poking around during spring turkey season and it was apparent they had been made by shed hunters on ATVs. I saw the guys on a road with sheds strapped on their ATVs and it wasn't until later in my hiking that I saw their tracks way, way, way offroad.

Pathetic.

Other states are already implementing things like shed seasons and shed licenses.

Slobs like you describe means we'll probably have something like that too.

Carl

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-18 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]I was up in the zunis the past weekend and came across a locked forest service gate across a road. Haven't seen too many of those in nm. Being the nice guy, i disregarded the drive around created up on the shoulder and parked the quad at the gate. Walked down the road about a mile and a half and ended up watching some turkeys until about 8:00 when someone decided they needed to continue the rutted up road in their jeep and went around the gate until they arrived to where i was. I figured that was going to happen.

I don't believe i've ever seen so much trash in a forest as i did last weekend.

Unfortunately this problem is vastly spreading. I would really like to see some sort of enforcement this time of year for shed hunting. Other states are stiffening their rules and regs and would like to think NM will follow suit. It has become an excuse for people to get drunk and trash the forest,make roads wherever they please, and harass the animals that occupy these areas. I like to take the family and get out and spend time in the mountains looking for antlers,but I can do without all of the idiots blasting around as fast as they can on ATVs and littering God's creation. As most of you know I really like using my horses and now only hunt sheds in the wilderness just to be alone to some extent. Just last year a buddy made a pile of around 15 sheds and when I returned on horseback the entire pile was gone. Lol I understand public land but obviously all those bulls didn't shed in one pile .

I would be happy if people driving quads off of roads would get caught. Or if they damage fences or leave gates open they get caught. Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

I like the fact that so many people are getting Into shed hunting. We have to somehow get the next generation interested in the outdoors or we will lose what we have. There is more competition, but, I still find 4 old sheds to every brown. So obviously there are plenty not found each year.

Scored a couple wild hogs this last weekend shed hunting.
53786img3327.jpg

Sunday, got a decent load.
24356img3357.jpg

>I agree. Lots of idiots. And
>lots of trash in the
>zunis. Were those hogs taken
>in New Mexico?

yes

>This one goes out to all
>of those idiots driving their
>4 wheelers cross country not
>a road in sight, dropping
>trash, and leaving gates open.
>You do realize you're pushing
>the bulls deeper into the
>mountains (maybe not a bad
>thing for me since that's
>where I like to hike),
>and pissing off landowners/ranchers. So
>the few browns you do
>find pale in comparison to
>what people like me find.
>What does bother me is
>it's people like you who
>are going to ruin shed
>hunting, it's only a matter
>of time until we see
>shed hunting regulations. I can
>imagine most people on here
>are ethical and do it
>right, this like most things
>in life, the few ruin
>it for the many.

Turn them in if ya can!!! Those are the people that ruin it for the people that follow the rules!

We have turned in several. Makes no difference when we are short on wardens. I have several friends that are wardens and understand its a tough job.

Regulations and seasons dont fix the problem, i walked my butt off last week only to find atv tracks almost everywhere i went. Im not lazy either, was in some tough country and those idiots if its possible will get their atvs there... i can only dream of the day they ban razors and all atvs from public grounds....

>Regulations and seasons dont fix the
>problem, i walked my butt
>off last week only to
>find atv tracks almost everywhere
>i went. Im not lazy
>either, was in some tough
>country and those idiots if
>its possible will get their
>atvs there... i can only
>dream of the day they
>ban razors and all atvs
>from public grounds....

Could you imagine how great that would be? Wow!

Ban ATVs for the actions of a few retards.... come on guys you will be OLD one day like me. I use mine to get to country on established roads THEN get off and look for sheds. Ban this Ban that... that really works.
Jack

>Where at paul

If you are asking me where I am at regarding banning ATVs, honestly I would be fine if they were never invented. However, there are 2 things to consider. What Jack said. It is not right to ban something for the actions of a few.
Secondly, I love it when tags are drawn by guys that are in love with their atvs. There is some magnetic pull and once a guy gets on one, it is hard to get him off. They tend to drive around on them which suits me fine if they stay on designated roads. Less people in the black country where I am.

I rarely see where atvs go off designated roads. I do believe there is a bigger problem in Northern NM than in Southern though. Never see them in my shed areas. Not issue at all, but, it is different country and different attitude maybe in the south.

Paul,pretty sure he wants the coordinates on them pigs haaha!!!
There is a trail to one of the most secluded areas in 16a , beautiful country, great bulls, just a dream come true for a guy willing and wanting to work a little to attempt to take a bull of a life time and I found it's being used as an ATV road. Talk about broken hearted !

>Paul,pretty sure he wants the coordinates
>on them pigs haaha!!!
>There is a trail to one
>of the most secluded areas
>in 16a , beautiful country,
>great bulls, just a dream
>come true for a guy
>willing and wanting to work
>a little to attempt to
>take a bull of a
>life time and I found
>it's being used as an
>ATV road. Talk about broken
>hearted !

That sucks. Sure be nice if the warden performed a sting operation on it.

>>Paul,pretty sure he wants the coordinates
>>on them pigs haaha!!!
>>There is a trail to one
>>of the most secluded areas
>>in 16a , beautiful country,
>>great bulls, just a dream
>>come true for a guy
>>willing and wanting to work
>>a little to attempt to
>>take a bull of a
>>life time and I found
>>it's being used as an
>>ATV road. Talk about broken
>>hearted !
>
>
>
>That sucks. Sure be nice
>if the warden performed a
>sting operation on it.
Sure would PC.I have turned in many only to have the warden finally come to MY camp & check ME...no atvs here. It's trespass, go wherever you feel on an ATV season in Catron co.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom