Shed hunting story

fstop

Hey Shed Heads,
I've been working on a shed hunting story for a few weeks and will have in on our Roughin It Outdoors show this Saturday at 11:00pm on Channel 2 (CBS SLC). Founder and a few other guys were able to get away from their busy schedules (like Brian is busy!) and head to the hills for a few days. We didn't pick up anything big, but we did find about 30 and my son found his first four point brown shed. Basically it's a story on the new shed law in Utah, shed hunting with your kids and shed hunting responsibly....Ok, it was a chance to shed hunt and make a story out of it. Although I do believe that it is a legit story with the popularity of the sport as of late. Let me know if you have a chance to watch. Later, Adam aka fstop

I hope you have a large section of the story devoted to the abuse related to ATVs. I am about to go Bobcat on these idiots gridding sage, riding ridges miles off the roads, and abusing the resource while sitting on the seat of their ATV. Too many people see others using and abusing the land on ATVs and they follow suit.

Adam, it's good to hear that you and your boy made it out and found some antlers! Your boy's first brown 4pt huh. That's awesome! I bet he's hooked now!

This will definitely be one to watch! I just hope I can stay up until 11pm. :)

Thanks for putting it together Adam! I'm going to spread the word and make sure all my buddies watch as well.

NvrEnuf

I guess I shouldn't even go looking for any bone huh. I was wondering why you were asking about where I look!!! Making sure I wasn't going to be there. Congratulations on your son's first find.

Hey Packout,
I will address this in the piece, we actually saw a lot of "gridding" where we were at and also found a couple of wheelers off the road about 1/2 mile. These guys knew that they shouldn't have been there and we're informed that it wasn't appreciated and illegal! We told them they were lucky we found their wheelers and not a guy by the name of Mr. Bobcat. Hopefully this story will inform people about the sport and the responsibility that comes with it. Later, fstop

Sounds good Adam. You guys have done a great job on the show since Mr Miller passed away. I enjoy it a lot. Will you show the wheelers off the road in the show? Might open some eyes and show these guys how bad they look and how much it is not appreciated by other sportsmen.

Andy

Yes,I will show the wheelers, but have decided to not show their faces. Our intent with the show is to inform and not to humiliate someone. Rest a sured that they got about an hour lecture and in fact they apologized and knew they shouldn't have been in the area. Very nice guys, just messed up. Like I told them...We are all in the same boat, we share a common passion for the outdoors. Lets not give any further ammo to anyone who would want to take our passion away from us and destroy it for the rest of our fellow hunters.

Amen, thanks for the support in getting the ATV abuse issue out in the mainstream. Good thread. Congrats to your son on his first brownie.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-07 AT 03:27PM (MST)[p]HEY....MY BROTHER AND HIS FRIENDS BUISNESS IS GOING TO BE ON THAT SHOW!!!!!!!!! wildantlercreations.com! they have made a refubising kit and are going to be showing how to refurbish the antlers. if you would like some just go to their website!

Adam,

Great idea for a story...keep up the good work.

I also am glad you will touch upon cheating shed hunters using motorized vehicles. Most of the extremely negative experiences I have had while shed hunting involve either encountering people doing this or hiking through areas that have been gridded to a ridiculous degree by two-tracks before I got there.

I respect your restraint in not identifying the individuals you encountered...but i ask that you reconsider. Maybe the thought of someday ending up on your show will stop a couple of these guys from committing the crime (sorta like the theory behind that Dateline show). Maybe you could broadcast clips people send in to you of people doing this as an attempt to either embarrass and/or identify them:)

Anyways, thanks for keeping up the show and I wish you all the success in the world.

Good luck in the draws,

Ryan Paxman

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom