shed hunting

R

ridgefire

im going to be moving from washington to arizona and im wondering when it is the best time to hunt for sheds and maybe an area to begin

I hunt sheds year round. Yeah, the color has faded later in the year, but that's o.k. with me. I hunt most of my sheds in my home state of NM. I have been pretty frustrated here in AZ where shed hunting means only money to many of the shed hunters. It seems as though most have ATV's and have no problem breeching road closures, Wilderness boundaries, or just plain tearing the country up. I recently found a unique matching set of mule deer antlers in NM's unit 12, after about four miles of hiking. Many of the local shed hunters I have talked to won't walk more than a few yards away from their ATV's. Each to his/her own I guess. Since SEP, I have stumbled across several big elk antlers that were chalk or not far from it, so I know they ain't gettin'm all. What kind of sheds/experience are you looking for? Good luck in your ventures. O.K. let the bashing begin.

just hoping to hike into some nice country and hopefully find some nice elk or muley sheds i want to also learn the elk country there while im at it

AZ is a big beautiful state. My best advise for you would to find an area you're interested in hunting. Get a topo map and start looking. I moved from AZ to Ca and I'm having to start over too. I'm not a shed hunter, but it's all the same. Get out and put some miles on your feet. Glass...walk, glass, walk...you will earn so much about the area. The more time you put in it, the more you'll get out of it. Best of luck and good luck on your new endeavors.

Scott G.

more than likely start off in scottsdale but hopefully end up in flagstaff or payson

According to my buddy in Flag, lots of horn hunting pressure for elk antler around Flag. I think Payson would be great for Coues deer sheds. Good luck.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom