Shed poachers at Le Barge Creek Rd???????

JT31

I just returned from shed hunting with freinds up Le Barge Creek Rd. This area has traditionaly been very productive for sheds. After completing 26 miles of hiking between my freind and myself we ended up finding two small elk sheds. After meeting up with another local shed hunter he informed me that he had scouted this area and knew of over 30 bulls in this particular canyon that we went. He had also hiked many miles in the same area and found just a few sheds and stated that this was the worst this area has ever been in 15 years. He also stated that just a couple days before he witnessed a group of three people on the mountain poaching the sheds (they all had multiple sheds with them) and then informed the local authority on the incident but nothing was done to locate or ticket the poachers. This local authority was said to have been glassing/spotting another canyon for sheds and appeared he didnt want to be bothered with the matter. There were 4 other groups of shed hunters in the same area that we covered and we talked to them all, and they found a total of 6 sheds. So in total 5 groups of shed hunters found 8 sheds. Over 30 bulls in the canyon. Doesnt add up!! This area appears to have been bombarded with poachers. So now what, we all just sit around and let the poachers steal all the sheds? Who is going to do something about this if the local authority is too busy preparing to do his own "shed hunting"? Keep in mind I did not witness the poachers myself (and have not talked to the local authority) but I am just relaying the info that was told to us.

Yes it's out of control. I've heard of another person witnessing shed poachers 3 yrs in a row and reported it and nothing was done. They even offered to take warden to the scene but was told he was busy and would go check it the next day. Dang that helps. I went up yesterday may 1 for opening and seen a truck with a lot of horns in the bed if there truck at 6:30am and it was parked away from any shed areas on a county road. So I'm thinking they had them stached or just picked them up early. The people that obey the opening season dates are getting raw end of the deal. Which I don't mind cause I'd rather let the critters get heathy from winter then pick up the bone but when it's time would like to have a chance and when it's reported and nothing being done is Bull${>+. Stiff penalties need to be handed down to the scumbags and reports at least need to be handled by are G&F!!!!!!!!!

same thing around the valley in sw wy. im pretty sure the wardens BUDDIES have the go ahead to hike whatever they want without having to worry about the law! we have walked 25 miles in 2 days and there is 2-4 week old boot/wheeler tracks everywhere we have hiked. time to wake up wy loose the shed season make if fair for the honest guy! not enuf wardens to uphold a law why have it???????
hornkiller.jpg

I will start out by saying I'm not shed hunter, I've been maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. I do like to make a trip to Wyoming every winter to look at some nice bucks with some friends. So, we thought it would be a good excuse to make a trip up to see if we could find some sheds ( I really didn't care if we found any sheds, I just like Wyoming)...Anyway, we get up there Thursday night a little after dark. We were on the loop between Labarge and Big Piney. We find a spot where we had seen a good number of deer earlier this winter. We are setting up camp about 9:30 at night, and we see a set of head lights about a mile off in the direction we were going to go in the morning. Well pretty soon there were multiple spot lights, head lamps/flashlights going back and forth through the country. These guys were out there looking for sheds with lights until 4 am. I couldn't believe it. Is it really that big of a deal? You couldn't wait until daylight like everyone else? Ridiculous!

I do enjoy shed hunting but I don't need the most or biggest every year, 5-10 and I'm happy. I just like hitting the mountains after being cooped up all winter but the one thing I hate seeing is old boot tracks. If poachers tracks were worth some $ then I'd be a wealthy man!

This year alone I watched four different people poaching antlers and I know that was only a small amount of the people actually out there.

The first one I called the local office while watching this guy through the binos and the office gal tried to tell me it was probably department personal and after arguing for a few minutes she finally said it probably wasn't them and she'd have the warden call me right away. I waited 30 minutes for the warden to call, which he never did, so I left. 1 hour after I called G&F the warden finally called but informed me nobody would investigate it until the following day (this was around noon).

Poacher two had just hopped the feedground fence and was making a b-line dash to the timber (again mid day) so I pulled over and laid on the car horn until the guy turned to look. When he looked I simply waived my phone out the window and the guy turned and ran and jumped a different fence line and dissapered into a subdivision.

Poachers 3 and 4 were again out in broad daylight right outside of Jackson. I called them in and got the same helpful (not) gal as from poacher 1. This time she said that the area was private and it was legal for them to shed hunt it. Well I hung up and pulled out my GPS and saw that the mountain they were on was actually state land so I called a second time. This time she tried every excuse she could; the state sold the land and my maps we out of date (not the case), it's legal to shed hunt state land (which it's not!), the wardens were busy working and wouldn't come look and finally she started getting really mad and short with me. I told her just have a warden call me. A few minutes later one called and said he was running right over there but then he added," I've had probably 15 calls about guys up there shed hunting this year and do you know how many cases I've made?, zero!"

Western Wyoming's shed hunting is rediculous! I know wardens can't be everywhere but even when they get good solid information they don't seem to really care.
I want my kids to enjoy all activities outdoors including shed hunting, but I don't really know how to show them a good time while working hard and hopefully find a few sheds when we mostly find just old boot and tire tracks...it doesn't seem like it would be very fun or rewarding for a kid.

Wintering areas should just be closed to vehicle traffic and remove this ridiculous closed season on shed hunting. It would be much easier to enforce. After all the idea is to protect the resource. I'm sure G&F doesn't give a hoot about the sheds.

Poaching sheds is a criminal act!!! Period!! The May 1st opener is a joke. Either enforce the opener or do away with it. How long is the Fish and Game going to keep their head stuck in the sand on this matter? Honest law abiding citizens are getting screwed.
Are the Fish and Game officers themselves a huge part of this problem??
Has the price of deer and elk antlers turned everyone into dishonest criminals?
Will the Fish and Game ever address this problem?? How about we start holding some of these poachers and officials accountable for their actions!

LAST EDITED ON May-03-15 AT 10:06AM (MST)[p]From the sounds of most of these violations, it would be impossible to prosecute due to lack of solid information.

Take a video camera, get it on film. Find the vehicles and get plate numbers.

Calling a GF office and saying, "I see some dude illegally shed hunting" isn't going to cut it.

Wardens are busy and they are not going to pursue leads and rush half way across Wyoming on shabby information.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the more solid the information you provide, the more proof you provide, the better the chance of getting a prosecution and a warden to respond.

Its also funny that everyone whines about the GF "wasting money" then expects them to be everywhere enforcing every regulation on the books.

OK, the local guy witnessed the poachers as they were poaching. He took down their plate number and then went straight over to the next canyon over where the F&G was glassing for sheds and informed him about. He did nothing. Didnt want to leave his spot where he was glassing. Rumor has it that the F&G guy picked up over a 100 sheds on the opener from that canyon.

Now what??

I suggest writing your local elected officials that transferring Federal Public lands to the states is a bad idea...

Do something worthwhile with your time instead of worrying about a shed antler.

JMHO.

Where are you from Jason? In Wyoming they are the Game & Fish not F&G.

And I would be awful careful how you accuse a warden based on second hand information and rumor. I think this shed "poaching" is just a huge waste of time for G&F and something should be done to address the real problem and that is disturbing wildlife on the winter range. It is not just shed hunters driving on the winter range.

IMO when that bone hits the ground it should no longer be a problem for G&F, after all it's not wildlife anymore.

Buzz,

You're right. Just me calling will not result in any sort of conviction, and I know that. But is it wrong to hope there's a warden that's in the area or has the time or desire to enforce the laws that he's sworn too? I never said I was mad at the wardens and in fact I had good conversations with both. I just feel that if they create these laws they should enforce them.

I had my spotting scope and camera when I saw poacher #1 (I didn't with the others) and I did try to get photos of him but he was far enough away and the cover is thick enough that I just couldn't get anything worth a damn.

Btw our wardens do not have to run halfway across Wyoming around here as their offices are located only minutes from where all incidents took place. Shabby information, haha! I would think relaying live information over the phone while waiting at the scene for a warden is pretty good.

I don't think it's about wanting them to be everywhere all the time. It's just, they made the rules so they should at least catch a few guys, increase the penalties, and make examples out of them or they need to change the laws and make it so law abiding folks have a fair chance at finding a few antlers. Us legal guys are the ones being penalized! With the feed grounds around here it would be so simple catch a few guys! I gave the warden an open offer on my shed collection to go stick it out on the hill and watch them dissaper the first night as long as they actually try to catch at least one guy!

Enforce the rules or change them so honest guys can have a chance, it's that simple.

The principle of delaying shed hunting until the animals are past the hardship of winter is great but very unfortunately people who disregard the law both harass the animals and benefit from poaching.

If Wyoming did away with the waiting period like Utah the poachers would have no advantage and the animals probably wouldn't get harasses much more than they are now by people breaking the law.

It's sad but the whole shed hunting thing has gotten so far out of control it's discouraging. There's no one great solution.

wyobackcountry,

Wrong, the GF you're referring to as "they", didn't "make the rules"...they cant pass laws.

Laws are introduced via the legislature at the request of those they represent, then signed into law by the Governor.

In the case of Regulation, that has to be approved via the GF Commission.

You talk as though Wardens are the ones passing laws and regulations..."they" aren't, but your fellow citizens ARE.

For the record, I agree with you on the need to enforce laws, and it is their job to do so. I also agree that those breaking the current shed hunting seasons should be prosecuted.

Jt31 rumor has it? Rumor has it Bigfoot exists. Have you seen him,or that G&F official picking up all those horns?

I completely agree with buzz. G&F can't be everywhere and they are spread thin. Take pictures and get plates.

Buzz,

You're right, I miss wrote and misdirected my rant, making it sound like G&F was/is responsible for the laws...G&F does not make the rules, they just get to enforce them. I/we the people should be voicing our opinions to our local/state representatives and telling them we want change.

Like I said before, it's just frustrating that the honest ones are penalized while the law breakers reap the rewards.

I don't have all the answers but I would like to see something change.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-15 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]At the recent G&F Commission meeting, a fellow stood before the Commission with his concerns that while he can't go look for sheds until May 1st, others are recreating(ATV and mud boggers, etc.)in the wintering areas.

Valid point, I think.

New Commissioner Pat Crank, offered a suggestion: shed hunters offer a plan to protect wintering animals and allow shed hunting before May 1. To me this is a no-brainer. Close these areas to foot traffic only until May 1st, because I believe those on foot would have little impact. Far less anyway than those driving in there now just for something to do.

wybackcountry,

Now you're loggin'....and making a lot more sense.

It would be a good idea to read jm77's last post, there is room for some reasonable solutions.

I agree with WyoBackcountry. Bottom line it's breaking the law and should be treated as so. If a crime is committed do the cops say we will check it out later.As far as out public land transfers that is just as wrong but politicians will be politicians and the way some of them act on stuff should be prosecuted also. WRONG IS WRONG!!!! Good points we as US/Wyo residents need to stand up for what is right. Takes all kinds to make the world turn!!

jm77, as I stated in the original post I did not witness the poachers first hand and I did not speak with the G&F authority who was in the area at the time. I simply am relaying information on what a local guy witnessed and told me/us. In my opinion the local fellow seemed very sincere and honest in what he was saying and I had no reason to not believe his story. What I did witness was old boot and horse tracks and no antlers to be found in a normally very productive area, especially for opening day. My intent was not to start a pissing match with anyone but to bring to light a big problem that we all know is not going to go away unless something changes. I did not try to accuse or incriminate anyone in particular, just stating what was told to me. If you think this is just a bunch of nonsense I would encourage you to try and contact the local authority to see if there is any truth to it. Appearently I may have offended you for some reason and wonder why and who you are trying to defend. I'm just a law abiding citizen who has voiced concerns on what I saw and heard. Don't kill the messenger.

Maybe the solution is to start some Baltimore riots seems to work for the looters, arsonist and assault Lol. That get some attention

Here's an idea. Residents can shed hunt year-round. Keep the May 1 opener for the nonresidents. Do it in every state!

Enforce the current big game harassment laws.

> jm77, as I stated in
>the original post I did
>not witness the poachers first
>hand and I did not
>speak with the G&F authority
>who was in the area
>at the time. I simply
>am relaying information on what
>a local guy witnessed and
>told me/us. In my opinion
>the local fellow seemed very
>sincere and honest in what
>he was saying and I
>had no reason to not
>believe his story. What I
>did witness was old boot
>and horse tracks and no
>antlers to be found in
>a normally very productive area,
>especially for opening day. My
>intent was not to start
>a pissing match with anyone
>but to bring to light
>a big problem that we
>all know is not going
>to go away unless something
>changes. I did not try
>to accuse or incriminate anyone
>in particular, just stating what
>was told to me. If
>you think this is just
>a bunch of nonsense I
>would encourage you to try
>and contact the local authority
>to see if there is
>any truth to it. Appearently
>I may have offended you
>for some reason and wonder
>why and who you are
>trying to defend. I'm just
>a law abiding citizen who
>has voiced concerns on what
>I saw and heard. Don't
>kill the messenger.

What offends me is your willingness to bring the charges you wrote about the GAME & FISH officer, no matter who said them first. If he did what you said JT he could be fired for it. So what are the chances it's true?

I live east of the divide and haven't found 25% of what I did last year and I could blame lots of people for different reasons, but I don't. Old boot tracks, tire tracks, sure sure, if it bugs you that much, stay in your own state and shed hunt.

I actually think nontypical's idea is a great one and will bring it to the attention of the G&F Commission. Should solve the problem, don't you think?

Unfortunately the answer to this problem is not just another law or more laws. If we spent more time educating people to use common sense we would get much further.

The game and fish needs to use common sense and open the area to everyone when the weather allows for it as well. A May 1st opener was not needed this year to protect the animals.

All that is needed is a April 1st opener and all problems go away. Most elk haven't dropped and elk arent where the problem exists.
Most deer are off the winter range or headed that way. By April one could argue that a deer is either going to make it or not. Hell were chasing them around with helicopters in Feb/March
1 out of 5 winters the May 1st opener is needed. Have a mechanism based on some critera that allows the G&F to extend the opener if needed.
The game & fish has a small chance of enforcing the shed season if they only have to enforce it for 3 or so weeks. The shed season becomes unenforcable when they have to do it for 7-8 weeks.
A shed season is needed to keep the people that can't self regulate from tromping around in Jan, Feb, & March. Thats why we got a season in the first place.

I love the new shed law as it reminds me of the good old days. Hell I don't see another shed hunter in my favorite areas until May 1st. I would love to see the law changed to May 15 to give myself more time to pick up antlers.

I will admit that there is a problem with people breaking the shed law in Wyoming but I write this to squash any and all rumors or bad talk about the game wardens in SW Wyoming. For EVERYONES information we are blessed with 3 awesome game wardens right now?..Yes 3. 3 for hundreds of square miles of country. They do their best everyday to insure that we still have a sport to love, but its the irresponsible poachers that are the problem. I know for a fact that they would never take a report of poaching so light. I myself have called in multiple offenders while working and have seen very rapid response. I insure you they are all over. Even if it seems like nothing is happening I promise one gutless poacher at a time is getting busted.

Here is a thought, just because no sheds have been found in an area does not necessarily mean that the sheds have already been picked up. Especially this year with the changing/mild weather conditions, those 30 bulls could have moved on after they were seen. I can't tell you how many times I have been certain there were going to be sheds on a particular canyon or ridge just to go back a month later and find very few or none, and I know I am the only person going there. I am not saying this is what happened, I am only giving another perspective.

I think the general thoughts on this thread are get rid of the shed seasons, they only help the dirt bags who were already breaking the game harassment laws already in place. Close the roads to vehicle traffic and it will be a lot easier to catch somebody driving down a closed road than it will be to report a random hiker on public land.

Exactly dragonshed. I actually know of quite a few guys that did great on elk sheds up there this year. I guess I must of missed a few.

They already close the roads in the area. The only roads open are the oil well roads.

#theyhateuscuztheyaintus

I have shed hunted SW Wyoming for the last 5 years now and this year was pretty bad as far as poaching goes. We still kept our heds up and picked up 100+ but it was slim pickins and most of what we picked up wasn't anything special.

This is a huge problem and needs to be addressed but I just don't know how they can stop it. They can't shut down access to the oil field, they can't stop people from hiking, and they can't catch guys walking around taking note of where they see sheds. It is way to easy to poach out there. We witnessed a guy in a White 4 door tacoma several times this winter out hiking all over some of the popular areas. He turned him in several times and I know others did too. The problem is if he doesn't bend over and pick up a shed, he isn't doing anyhting wrong. All he has to do is kick them into a wash or under the sage and go get them in the night.

The only way to stop this poaching is for the WY fish and game to start a major operation to catch poachers. They need to chip at least 100 sheds and place them all over the area. There needs to be a $1000 fine and termination from employment from the oil company. Do that, and you will see a big reduction in the shed poaching.

As it sits now, you have one guy trying to cover all that area and respond to several calls a day. Adam is a great guy and does his best, but he just can't do it all. He needs help and the F&G need to realize that. They don;t need 100 wardens. They just need 3-4 to cover the major areas in March and April and put out chipped sheds. I know that would help a ton, but it just isn't getting done.

I was approached by Adam twice this past winter. In both instances he asked if we had seen a certain pickup. One time he said the truck had Utah plates and had been allegedly seen on a closed road. It was also a white Toyota. According to Adam, all the oil field guys are keeping an eye on things...Hmmmm...I'll bet they are! I know they are.

I can believe that. He also claims they could lose their jobs if caught shedding. Now whether or not that means they can go get them( sheds) after work is pure conjecture on anyone's part...

Let's see...if I worked up there every day, would I glass up a few horns whenever I got the chance? Nah...that would be illegal according to the way the shed law is written... ;)

How tempting would it be to see the same shed day after day after day just laying there. How long before ole Bill sees it and gets it??? Maybe I better come back after dark and snatch it up before he sees it!! Of course, I'm not pointing any fingers ay anyone. Just mentioning a possible scenario that I'm sure never happens...

Might as well snatch up them other 3 that I just happened to see on the way to get the big one...

Truth be known, sheds should be left to the earth. They do provide a source of minerals, calcium and phosphorous to small animals.
Pretty sure the G&F have way more to worry about to!

The fact that there are so many problems surrounding something as stupid as picking up shed antlers really says a lot. All I can say is that the fishing in SW Wyoming is stellar during the first week of May. It's like I own the whole damned place. I love it........more shed hunting please! Now if we could just convince the masses to walk around the low country in the dark looking for Easter egg horns during deer season the world would be Zen.-------SS

>The fact that there are so
>many problems surrounding something as
>stupid as picking up shed
>antlers really says a lot.
>All I can say is
>that the fishing in SW
>Wyoming is stellar during the
>first week of May. It's
>like I own the whole
>damned place. I love it........more
>shed hunting please! Now if
>we could just convince the
>masses to walk around the
>low country in the dark
>looking for Easter egg horns
>during deer season the world
>would be Zen.-------SS

No problem SS, I'll keep doing something "as stupid as picking up shed antlers."

3084img0104.jpg

4660img3507.jpg

I know this year was the worst for sheds. With the early melt off people are not going to just stay in there house. I watched a giant non typical until he shed. I was pretty stoked thinkin i was going to his sheds may 1. So two long months wait and finally may 1 was here...i went to the area where i know his sheds where and after walking sun up to sun down i didnt find a brown horn just motorcycle tracks. And later that night some guys posted pics of the non typical sheds on face book. Talk about getting kick where it counts and those sheds were brown and you can tell the difference between a may 1 brown one and a early pick up. So i message the fellas sayin those look pretty brown for may 1..and an hour later the shed pic was deleted. Something needs to be done about the shed law.. just have it like it use to and shut the roads down. People just think we have a shed season they should come up and try there luck and personally thats not good...more and more people will be pounding the ground every year if this shed law stays enforced!!

>
>No problem SS, I'll keep doing
>something "as stupid as picking
>up shed antlers."
>
>
3084img0104.jpg

>
>
4660img3507.jpg

Looks like good fun with the kiddos. I just don't get the drama. Maybe it has to do with the mega $$$ involved. Do you sell those sheds jm? Only $$ could cause someone to become a "shed poacher" doesn't that sound silly? Shed poacher. My grandad would have gotten a hearty laugh about that one. We are our own worst enemies. What's next . Deer scat collecting? One day some among us will be "deer pellet poachers" -------SS

LAST EDITED ON May-13-15 AT 00:11AM (MST)[p]Sounds like it's time for some fee structure. Sorry shed hunting boys but when your sport starts requiring extra patrol duty and added pressure on resources it's time to pay up. I hear the guys at work bragging about the new guns and hunting trips that they pay for by selling antlers. Maybe it's time to give a little of those proceedings back to the resource.

I'm generally against expanded government fees but it seems to me that there is some free lunch syndrome going on here. I personally don't want valuable LE personnel bogged down chasing illicit horn picker uppers and nefarious off road travelers. If I have to pay for them to police my fishing then you should have to pay for them to police your shed picking. Just my $.02. Maybe catch and release shed hunting is a viable option?------SS

It is only going to get worse as there is a new show on the hunting channel starting in July---

Shedz Wars....the commercial advertising it has lot's of Drone footage.....

Robb

So when your talking sw Wyoming are u talking east of the crawfords? I shed hunted there may 1 and was amazed at the people. I even saw a few paragliders

Paragliding is awesome way to scout early season I hear. Who would of thought you could shed hunt with one?

The whole shed hunting deal is becoming nothing more than a crap show anymore. People arguing and racing to find sheds, illegally using off road vehicles, going out before season is open, and etc, etc. In the end five years from now who's going to care what you picked up or had mounted. If it's about money people probably end up spending more money finding them than what they make. People that go out and do it for the sole enjoyment of being in the outdoors and giving wildlife their space, spending time with friends and family and getting rid of that cabin fever hats off to you. For all the others your doing nothing more than making it bad for all of us!! Just sayin

>I was approached by Adam twice
>this past winter. In both
>instances he asked if we
>had seen a certain pickup.
>One time he said the
>truck had Utah plates and
>had been allegedly seen on
>a closed road. It was
>also a white Toyota. According
>to Adam, all the oil
>field guys are keeping an
>eye on things...Hmmmm...I'll bet they
>are! I know they are.
>
>
>I can believe that. He also
>claims they could lose their
>jobs if caught shedding. Now
>whether or not that means
>they can go get them(
>sheds) after work is pure
>conjecture on anyone's part...
>
>Let's see...if I worked up there
>every day, would I glass
>up a few horns whenever
>I got the chance? Nah...that
>would be illegal according to
>the way the shed law
>is written... ;)
>
>How tempting would it be to
>see the same shed day
>after day after day just
>laying there. How long before
>ole Bill sees it and
>gets it??? Maybe I better
>come back after dark and
>snatch it up before he
>sees it!! Of course, I'm
>not pointing any fingers ay
>anyone. Just mentioning a possible
>scenario that I'm sure never
>happens...
>
>Might as well snatch up them
>other 3 that I just
>happened to see on the
>way to get the big
>one...
>
>

White Toyota you say.. well shiz.. that sure narrows it down...

I spent May 1st somewhere near LaBarge. My dad and uncle and I had a fantastic day of hiking the hills. Put 10-12 miles on the boots that day. Had sandwiches, chips, cookies, Mountain Dew, and some jerky for breakfast and lunch. Didn't stay past 2pm.

We had a very enjoyable time. Saw a few people camped in trailers and tents in the area, and came across about 6 other guys while out hiking, and saw several others while we were drivin around looking for other areas to hike.

It was warm, sunny, and we were breathin fresh WY air. Got a lot of exercise. Had some great conversation. It was a wonderful day. No complaints from me.

We found some sheds. Most of them were dinks. Even the "larger" sheds were still off small 3's or 4's. I doubt anyone would say we had "made a killing"... But the sheds barely mattered. We had fun together.

We saw foot prints in a lot of places. We did not see any two-tracks or motorcycle treads though. So, we felt like we at least had a chance to find some sheds. We found just enough to feel pretty good about the day. Then we headed home. And we may, or may not, be back next year. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom