Shed Restoration

M

massey_muley

Wondering what folks have found works well for restoring sheds.

What are some ways you guys have found for staining hard whites?

Also, has anyone experimented with restoring chalky sheds and then staining them? I was thinking bondo could work for smoothing out the surface and then sculpting in the crevices and bumps.

Maybe I should just sell them......
Post up some pics of successes!

I like many of you guys have tryed many things to restore sheds. The best way to restore sheds to me is get a white shed and rub dirt all over it then simply spray it with pine tar. Baseball pine tar spray. I have no pics but will post when i take pics. Never tryed it on deer sheds.

for hard whites wild antler magic is a must. but as for chalks don't use bondo. i have tried to use it for just patching and it barely holds any color and always keeps the red tint.wood puddy is a much better choice and some guys do some really good work on painting it. i did a nice one that was probably 20+ years old this year and i just totally covered it in wood puddy so no horn was showing then used antler paint for it. turned out pretty good and could have been a lot better if i was good at painting them. one other thing i have heard but haven't tried is fill in the cracks with whatever and then spray paint it matte white. then paint them with acrylic paint.
sheds
deer-92
sets-7.5
elk-2
sets-0

this is the easiest way and it lookes as good as most methods or better. for cracks use a mixture of emlers glue (original) and water 50/50. either rub the stuff all over the antler or dip it in the stuff if you made enough of it. spreding it all over with a rubber glove is the best bet if you covet the entire antler. by coverin the whole thing you create a consintant looking texture. let dry for 6 hours or so. depending how far gone the antler is this step may need to be repeated. if there is a problem area that dosnt match up to the rest of the shed you may need to concentrate aplication to this area. if any unwanted beads of extra glue accumulate use a small knife or file to remove and smooth em out. once dry gradualy apply your choice of antler stain. the key is gradualy applying the stain. have fun and good luck!

Wow I forgot I made this post I must have been drinking...
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I asked is I found a really cool set of 160ish sheds in Colorado. Id like to restore them, but they are very chalky and the back fork is broken off on one side. Looks like I would need to do the wood putty method after sanding and then use antler paint.

MassNtrash......Im looking at the antler paint on van dykes...which color did you use, or did you mix colors?

Thanks again folks....Ill post some pics of the set and if I can get them looking good again, the after photos : ).....

-Z

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom