Sheep & Goat Application

Wyo

Last year I started applying for sheep and goat in Colorado as a nonresident, but found the point system to be odd. Can anyone explain why you have to have 3 preference points before you can be eligible to draw and then be eligible to gain bonus points? That doesn't bug me too much but the fact that I have to pay for the tag up front even though I'm not even eligible to draw a tag is not cool. I'm willing to fork out the money to play the game, but it just seems odd that you are paying for something that you can't have. Maybe theres a good explanation behind this.

You are technically eligible to draw a tag with less than three preference points, but it's not likely because there are so many people with more points than you. If you applied for a ewe tag you could likely draw with less than 3 points. That's why they make you send the full amount in with your application.

Now, what doesn't make much sense is that they make you send in the entire amount even if you use the preference point only code and don't apply for a license. This is done simply so they can earn interest on your money for a month. ;-) Actually, it's probably done to limit the applications to those that are serious about hunting in Colorado. Think about how many more people would load up on points if they didn't make you submit the whole amount.

As residents we have to submitt full cost for PP. Makes it expensive for pp across the board,

I think having to put in for three years just to get into the draw keeps the not so serious people out of the mix. You put in your three years then on your fourth year you get your name put in the pot and every year after that you get another name put in. I think that they want all the money to make a little off the interest. To me that is fine as long as that money is going to something good and not making one person fat on the inside. I hope it is going to some good conservation for the species that is put in for. I helped two of my buddies on there goat hunts this last year. It was an awsome time. Got the whole thing on film. Good luck and keep putting in.
jc

It is worse then you think. Short version is after the first 3 you start getting (Weighted) points 1 per year. Not more chances. Here is basically how it Works their computer issues you a (random) 10 digit # then it reverses that # Number to make it more random? Then they divide this # by the # of weighted points you have. The lowest # gets the tag. There are over 650 residents with the max of 7 weighted points.
I believe there is well over a thousand non res guys with 7 weighted. There is a post
On the Rocky Mt Big Horn Society site that explains it all in more detail. The question I have is what is going to happen in the near future when the (division) dividing by our weighted points makes our 10 digit a nine digit? I see it becoming statistically imposable to draw a sheep or goat tag With a 10 digit number?I had several points before I switched to goat in the late 80?s
Then I put in for Desert until I drew in 1990. Had 8 points in 1998 when they took us all Back to 0. Now 10 years later I will be putting in with 3 and 7 weighted. The way I understand things I believe guys with less then 5 weighted points are in for a LONG Wait. But thinking about it more I guess some one with 1 weighted point could get several 0?s at the end of that first random number and draw out ahead of us max guys.
It's a mess and the real problem is a lack of sheep survival. As for the Division getting Any interest $ on application $ they are legislatively bared from doing that. They earn nothing,we earn nothing and wildlife gets nothing?.go figure. Alot of dead dollars for 3 to 5 months.

JC, about 5 strains of Phenomena were found one of them
Is a very fast actor. I would quote the strains but I cant find where
I wrote them down. There are 11 ewes and 2 rams left on the
Feed/ trap site. 3 rams made it across to the East either a head of
The sickness or survived it. The DOW vets are coming over to try some
New ideas, not my place to post what they are doing. I hope they publicize
The results. I will say as a critic of DOW they are all over this with both
Feet. I am very impressed with what they have planned. Very impressed.

Thanks for the update all I herd was that they were not doing well. I have been whatching the herd over here by carbondale. So far they seem to be doing well. Do the sheep in your area ever have contact with domestic sheep in the summer of fall? When they tried to put desert sheep over here they all died because of the domestic sheep were spreading everything to the Bighorns.
Glad that the Division is looking into all of this.
Thanks!
JC

JC answer is kind of. S26 Taylor River has some interaction with domestics. A pioneer family below Almont has 40 head of
4-H sheep and some of our Rams go to his Private. Above Almont a guy has 100 ?Barbados Red Bellies?. Fall of 06 a pair of these showed up with the bighorns. A biologist watched a golden eagle take out the domestic lamb. The ewe came up missing soon after and no one cares what happened to her. The Taylor herd WAS a very important stocking herd for transplants. Now they are carriers of about every strain of pasturella known to us. 0 lambs in 04-05-06. This fall there was 1 lamb alive at the end of November. There is some interaction between S26 and S70 on the summer range. In 06 I know of no one who saw a live lamb in 26 after Nov. DOW spent some helicopter time looking and found none. How ever opening day of 07 when the non res killed a GOOD ram there was a yearling ram in the bunch? I believe he was a S70 sheep and he and or some of his buddies might have gone back to 70? No one knows any thing for sure. The one thing we do know is both herds are sick.
Now my question?s I assume you are talking Crystal River herd. I don't get over there much but do see those sheep from 133 some times. Question #1 how many lambs if any do you guys have this winter? Question #2 what is the chain link box across from the ?Hippi dip?.
I always see sheep near it in the winter. Is it a trap? Some kind of vegetation study? What the hell is that thing? Brad

The year before last I went on the sheep count and in talking with the division they were happy with the herds reproduction. I know one thing that some of the sheep in that herd have left and are summering out of all the sheep units to the south of marble.
The chain link thing accross the river is a trap. They have been trapping some sheep there for the last few years. They put a collar on one of the biggest rams that I have seen in that area. I don't know if they put it on the ram after he got big or no one wants to shoot a ram with no neck hair.
They are probably trapping all the good rams and taking them over to you so now we won't have any good rams this year. Just kidding.
Hopefully they can do something for the sheep in your area. Are they triing to treat the remaining sheep or just let it run its coarse?
Nice talking to you!
Jerad

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom