Sheep hunting boots??

Muleymemories

Which boot do you think is the ultimate sheep hunting boot? Leather, plastics, weight, sole, insulation etc....????? I've wore out a fair share of boots, so please give me some info. I'm not a big fan on the Alaskan Meindl either.

>What is it about that Meindl
>boot that you do not
>like?
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I'm not saying its a bad boot, but the break in time seemed like forever. After finally past the break in stage 50 miles in the backcountry the insole wore out on me on a bivy hunt and I had to walk around on pins and needles with a 40 lb pack on. I took them back to Cabelas and they said they never had the problem with other customers, so i tried a different insole. The pins and needles went away but the fit is not right. I need a very good thin insole so the boot with fit correctly. I do like the sole on the boot although its about wore out after one season of hunting. Any suggestion??

The Meindl, Hanwag, Kenetrek, lowa, Asolo, Scarpa, La Sportiva and Boreal boots in that light mountaineering class are all very similar in terms of construction. They are all very stiff and sturdy which means they would take a long time to break down or what most people call break in. Those kind of boots are not really supposed to break in, they are supposed to be stiff because they are designed for heavy loads, steep, uneven terrain and crampon use. However, you should not have to endure some long term grueling torture on your feet until they finally feel OK. The right boot, properly fitted should be good for you out of the box or pretty close to it.

I will tell you that I prefer the leather mountaineering boots to plastic although the plastics now are better or they are hybrids. Sheep means altitude to me and that requires good socks and insulated boots. The 10 inch Hanwags, Kenes and Lowas are solid choices. Your decision should be based on fit.

My recommendation is to try them all on (I know that is a huge pain but that is the only way) and see which works best for you. They are all very high quality boots but differ with repect to fit. What works for me most likely won't work for you because our feet are different.

Regarding insoles. First, I would always check/replace them before a big trip. Even the good ones only last a few months under heavy use. A year is average for moderate use. Stock insoles as a rule are pretty cheap but they are about the right thickness relative to the interior dimensions of the boot. Check out Superfeet (green or orange) or SOLE but make sure that you try your boots on with them because they will suck up some of the volume of the inside of the boot. You may have to have a larger boot too accomodate the after market footbeds.

Does that help?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Thanks for the info, I know the mountaineering boots are made very stiff to accomodate heavy loads it just seemed like the boot did not fit me the way it suppose too. I will have to try the others out and see which one fits the best. Maybe the Meindl is not made for my type of foot? Thanks...Do you suggest discarding the stock insoles when the boot is new and go with a better aftermarket insoles???

Two things.

Take a look at the Hanwags. The Lathrop boys can help you get the right size but it is going to cost you. The upper end package includes customized insoles. Also, it is my opinion that the walk a little easier. Only thing they don't come in a wide.

No, I don't thiink that you should automatically toss the stock insoles unless you need to. Like if you have an arch problem or something. But even the relatively thin, inexpensive Spencos are better than the stockers. You can usually tell just by looking at them.

Take the time to order the boots, try them on, where them around the house for a couple of days using the same socks yo plan to use, keep them in like new condition and return them if they don't fit you well. That is the only way I know of because most of these are not carried by your local REI or boutique mountaineering store.

Good luck with it.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom