Sheep in San Diego

Breacher

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-09 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]My brother in law and I were doing some deer hunting a while back in the high desert area of Southern California. Specifically, between San Diego and El Centro.

We were walking down a wash looking for sign when all of a sudden we heard some crashing and falling rocks. We looked up and saw about 10 sheep running down on side of the mountain, across the wash then up the other side. They were about 40 yards in front of us. It took a minute to comprehend what we were seeing because I had never seen sheep out there.

The sheep continued up the other side of the mountain and stopped about 80 yards from us. They seemed relatively calm despite our presence. They aren't hunted in this area of California. The sheep started feeding and slowly walked away. I pulled out my digital camera and took some pictures as they moved along. There was at least one young ram, a bunch of ewes and some kids.

I looked over at my brother in law and noticed he was pointing his rifle at the sheep! I asked him what the hell he was doing. His response, "C'mon man, I'm not going to shoot it, I just want to see what it's like to have a sheep in my scope".

One week later, my brother in law and I were headed down to El Centro to do some bird hunting. We get to a curve in highway and come across either the same or another small herd of sheep trying to cross the road. It was a few miles from the area we had seem them the week before so im thinking they might have been the same animals.

I sent a smilar email along with photos to the fish and game sheep biologist which was timely. They were doing aerial surveys of the sheep population in the area. Well Im glad I had proof because several people I talked to didn't believe sheep lived this far south.

Now for some help. Anyone willing to received some emailed pictures to post for me. You can say I'm an idiot and I still won't give damn but i'd like to share the pictures and can't figure out how to post them.

Any takers?

Breacher

Email them to Brian Latturner at [email protected]
He's the man who can help on this site. He helped me post my daughter's desert sheep photos. (see "desert ram for Jessica")

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-09 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Here they are.
4b0b4dc7197c1c78.jpg

4b0b4dd819ec7750.jpg

4b0b4dea1a5c17c7.jpg

4b0b4e231bdce3df.jpg

4b0b4e371c4690c9.jpg

4b0b4e4a201b09bd.jpg

The sheep you came across are surely Desert Bighorns of the Peninsular subspecies (Ovis canadensis cremnobates). That subspecies ranges well down into Northern Baja.

Just FYI - The Peninsular are not hunted at this time. The Desert Bighorn further East out into the Mojave are the Nelsoni subspecies (Ovis canadensis nelsoni) and those are the ones that are open to hunting in California (if you can draw one of the few permits available each year).

Congratulations on getting to see them! Not many people get that opportunity.

Cool, I didn't know any of that. Ive been looking at the California Dept. of Fish and Game's website and notice there have been tags for the Orocopia Mountains which aren't too much further to the north compared to the location I saw these sheep. Are those the Nelson subspecies?

Im 30 now and im going to start putting in for sheep in CA. Of course I know its like winning the lottery but someone has to win and its fun trying.

Breacher,

Yes, the ones in the Orocopias are the Nelsoni subspecies.

Please excuse a shameless plug - but it appears that you've been bitten by the sheep bug, so why don't you join the California Chapter of the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep. It's a great group doing a lot of hard work to ensure more hunting opportunity while conserving and enhancing the wild sheep resource. www.cafnaws.org

Dang! Them boogers would be hard to spot-perfectly matched to their habitat.

Thanks for the pics.

I could be way off here but I think those sheep in the Jacumba/Carrizo area were transplanted there from one of the other Mojave ranges. Therefore they could be Nelsons and not necessarily Peninsular.

I don't think the Peninsular variety ranges quite that far north. They would have to traverse the San Pedro Martir which would take them much higher and out of their typical range to expand into So Cal.

Again, I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom