Sheep rifle

beech18

Just posting this to see what others think and might be a good conversation thread too. I drew a S9 rifle sheep tag in CO. Sangre do Cristo's. Ive got 3 rifles narrowed down for this that I have, like, and shoots well, and know will do the job. From what I have gathered this is very rugged country and light weight rifle pry be in my best interest. My primary gun that I use for alot of rifle hunts I dont want to carry up these mountains, 300 Wthby Mag
1) 6.5 X 284 in a Savage Lightweight Hunter
Got 3 loads worked up that shoot. 130 Nolser Accubonds, 140 Grain Hornady A-Max, and 100 grain Nolser BT's.
Set up with Leupold 3.5-10 Boone and Crocket
2) 280 Remington Mountain Rifle
Got 1 load it really likes, 140 Grain Nolser Partation
Set up with Leupold 3-9
3) 300 WSM Kimber Montana
Got 3 loads it like. 165 Grain Hornady SP, 168 Grain Berger VLD, 190 Grain Berger VLD's.
Set up with Leupold 3.5-10 Boone and Crocket
If it was you, what would you take and why? Personally at the moment Im leaning towards the 6.5 X 284. Just curious what peoples thoughts are. Not that I need to decide now at this moment, but I like to make a decision in the near future and stick with it so I can practice extensively with that gun and make sure to buy as much loading compontents when I see it aviable (bullets and powder) not to risk running out during the summer practice routine.
The Savage I bought acouple years ago in antisipation if I ever drew a tag like this I would use. Never hunted with it yet. The Remington, my first gun I got for big game hunting and used for a few years in my earily stages of hunting. The Kimber I bought few years ago as a multi purpose gun thats lightweight and rugged for deer and elk on back pack style hunts and its served me well on the hunts Ive used it.
By the way, this is my first sheep tag and as you can pry tell, Im more excited than a pig in mud.

Congrats on your tag.

I expect I'll have a WY sheep tag in the morning, if so I'm taking my light weight custom 300 win mag. I have a 264 mag and a 270 WBY Bansner Sheep Hunter I could take as well but my 300 is my go to for everything rifle.

If I were you I'd use your 300, this isn't a meat hunt you want the ram you shoot to drop where he stands. I plan on using a 165 Ballistic Tip at about 3200 fps, I've used this load on mountain goats and deer from 100 to 450 yards with perfect results. you couldn't go wrong with the 165 Hornady or the 168 Berger if that's what you like.

Stay thirsty my friends

I think 440 gave you some darn good advice. The 300 shooting those bullets will poll ax just about anything especially sheep size and below and guides love that combo on sheep. Any of those guns will do the job so it may boil down to which one your comfortable with and you shoot the best. Have a great hunt!

I'd take the 300 short mag. One reason it's my fav. Caliber but also like others stated before, it's not a meat hunt. You want that sheep to drop dead. Good luck with whichever u pick

Goat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom