sheep shape?

beech18

A common term is sheep shape when anyone is talking sheep hunting. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat to get into sheep shape. Just curious what everyones views and thoughts are on this topic?

"Sheep shape" refers to the best shape that YOU can get yourself into.

I've got a little age on me now (59) so the term means a little different to me now than it did 33 years ago on my first sheep hunt.

Funny thing, my first sheep hunt, and my most recent (last year), were in the exact same place and I was in good enough shape on both hunts to enjoy every minute of a full-blown, 12 day, backpack, wilderness hunt.

The one thing that I do more now than I did earlier in life is MORE ACTUAL BACKPACKING to get in shape for a backpack hunt.

I used to run marathons and I don't think this is something that a guy needs to do to get in sheep shape.

Jogging, walking, hiking, backpacking and weights is what I do currently to get me ready. I do something 6x per week for at least 45 min. On the days I do weights I also walk, hike of jog.

LBH and I both discovered that more weight in the backpack is about the best workout for a backpack sheep hunt! It's the closest thing to the actual hunt.

Good luck on your hunt man!
Zeke

I agree with ya Zeke 100%. Cant do a better excerise to get into shape than doing the actual thing of hiking with a pack.
I do that every winter after the hunting season as running isnt a option for me due to weather and its actually enjoyable to me. I add in carrying a 22 and do some shooting for practice during the hikes, kinda like a real life situation with breathing hard and making your shots count. Makes for a enjoyable work out and little shooting practice too. Then due to work related time issues I prefer to run when the summer rolls around, got myself up to 5 miles under hour right now every other day at the moment. With alittle side of weights on the off days for a 20 minute routine.
Sheep season cant get here soon enough, hope my pre season excerise program pays off and Ill be in "sheep shape"....
Good luck to you on your fall adventures too!!

I've never been very good at running so that's out for me. The last four years I've been doing Crossfit 4 To 5 days a week year round. I've found that the increased core strength has really helped when I start hiking. That's the one thing that running alone can't give you.

I'm with Zeke on adding more weight to the pack. Previous hunts I've only gone up to 40 or 50 lbs. This year I'm planning on working my way up to 70 or 80. Nothing helps like wearing the boots and pack that you are going to use for the hunt to train with. The only thing I leave out is the rifle on the side as the people I pass on the local trails might get a little freaked out.

Good advice above. The only thing I would add would be if you can fit in a weekend backpack trip before the season, using all the equipment you are going to use.
My son and I did this prior to our NWT dall hunt. It helped us iron out a few little kinks and actually gave us hands on practice.
We were using some new, unfamiliar equipment and a dry run was just the ticket. It also gave us confidence to know we were ready.
On that trip I found my boots killed me with the weight and I had to make some adjustments that kept me from breaking down on the hunt.
I love your enthusiasm beech.
You are going to have a great time!

For me it isn't about being shape to win the race to the top of the sheep mountain every day ---

BUT---

More about being in shape for the long haul of the full hunt.

I think endurance training out plays speed training.

Long day hikes with your pack and increasing your miles along with lap swimming and some strenthening work.....not big heavy weights but more lighter and lot's more reps per set.

Robb

It's all great advice!
LBH pointed out that a full-blown pack tip, with ALL the stuff you're planning to take, is a really good idea....plus a couple rocks (some of the guys used milk jugs full of water) so you'll feel the full weight and fit of the pack when loaded with food, water, salt, etc.
I have a little used trail within a mile of my house and the last 2 weeks of hiking even included the rifles in the pack. I'm sure glad we did it since we made some modifications.
I'm excited for you!
Good luck in the training sessions and GREAT luck on the hunt!
Zeke

Like Robb said, a lot of guys can tough it out coulple of days, but how about back to back to back etc. Get your recover down.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-13 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]
I've never drawn a sheep tag but have been getting more serious about my mountain training,in the last several years, I'll add a couple things. I definitely believe in practice like you play. I climb stairs for an hour with 50-70 lbs of sandbags in my frame pack 1-2 times a week and if you can crank that out at a decent pace with small breaks, you are getting there.

The single best exercise you can do to get your legs in shape for going up mountains, other than actually going up the mountains, is walking lunges. If you can get to where you are doing a significant amount of reps with weight on, your legs wont be the thing getting tired. I like to do 4-5 sets of 40 reps with weight, some guys I've talked to do quarter miles with weight.

Core work was mentioned, I'll skip that, but the second piece for mountain hunting other than strength/endurance is cardio. There are two components to mention here.

First I have found that the best thing to get my cardio up is high intensity interval training. Lots of different methods here, but I like to run uphill on a treadmill or a hill at maximum exertion for a quarter mile or two minutes, rest an equal time, and repeat. Do this for 30 minutes or 8 reps and you will start to notice you have more air within a week, its amazing how well it works. You have to really punish yourself on the intensity portion, the harder you are on yourself the quicker you will notice results.

The third thing I've come to realize is that you can't really train for altitude when you aren't at altitude. I know vacation is precious, but you need to exercise at altitude to get your body to create more red blood cells. So as painful as it is, if you can schedule a two or three day hike at 12,000 feet plus a week or two before the actual hunt, it will pay off in spades when you get there. Any time you can spend in the mountains will help your body get ready.

I haven't gotten serious enough to diet yet, I enjoy craft beer and green chili cheeseburgers with a fried egg on top way too much to start that.

I will get a sheep tag one day, I just hope I'm not in the nursing home by the time it happens!

Love the suggestion fella's. I think Ill be adjusting my work out routine and working some of these suggestions in. I dont really want to add any distance on my runs as I dont want to pound my knee's anymore than I have too, just increase the speed though, but adding some of these ideas in might be the ticket so my body doesnt platau out.

DoeNob, one of your comments made me think of a article I read while back. The nursing home comment. I remember reading in one of the hunting magazine where a guy had a desert tag. I dont remember the exact details of it but I think he was pretty old and ill, couldnt get around very well. Anyways, some of his freinds scouted and found a ram in a spot where he could get too and took him to it. I thought it was a pretty emotional read knowing theres people out there willing to go the extra mile to help this gentleman.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-13 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]When I had my upcomming hunt I hiked the hills around me after work with a pack on, did P-90X jump training and went on walks on the days I was too sore. I hunted 16 day straight in Hells Canyon and in that time frame only lost 4 lbs. I probably hiked 10-15 miles per day and dropped and clilmbed 3-5k ft elevation per day with 45 lbs of gear. The good thing about my hunt was I was solo, so I just took my time, it's not a race out there. My biggest challange was water and keeping my feet from blistering too much. My legs and lungs out did my thirst and skin.

My hunt was not a backpack hunt, so probaly much easier. Having a comfortable camp was very nice.

Beech18,

Like you, this year I drew my first sheep tag!!

I bivy hunt for elk almost every year, so I try to stay in pretty good shape year-round. This summer I have added squats/lunges to my workouts on weight lifting days. (I HATE lunges...) I still run 3-5 miles per day or ride my bike 15-20 per day like always, but have tried to increase leg and core strength more.

Scouting trips this summer will be more for terrain surveying and getting adjusted to altitude than finding sheep... I live at 6,000 feet and will be hunting at 12,000 - 14,000 feet.

The sheep area you drew is steep country, I recommend getting a good pair of hiking boots. It's really easy to turn an ankle in that country. My Hanwag Alaska GTX boots saved my feet/ankle on my Mountain Goat hunt in 2010. They turned out to be my most valuable piece of gear!!

Added acouple more leg work outs in to my routine, and I can feel the muslces giving alittle differnt feel today, got alittel ache in my step today.
The swimming laps idea, good idea Im sure, not gonna happen though on my end. Ill have to make due with out that one. I swim like a rock. Rock might even be more graceful than I.

Camo, Happy feet = Happy Hunter. Thanks for the input on the footwear. Boots and socks can make or break a hunt. Good luck on your first sheep tag, hope its a great hunt. Atleast theres some awesome motovation to do those dreaded lunges you hate doing... Everytime I feel like not working out, I think sheep tag....

Added acouple more excercises this morning into my weight routine, I read in a magazine to compliment the dreaded lunges and other leg excercises. Mabey some of you do these but they seem to get a burn going pretty quickly. Figure they cant hurt doing and I would share these as some of you may want to give them a whirl.

Stand on some steps. Balance on 1 foot and step down with the other foot till it reaches the next step and bring yourself back up, right now doing 15 reps per leg then switching legs with 20 pounds for 3 sets.

The another one I read about is suppose to help strengthen up your chins. Heel Walk. Walk on your heels, easy at first but it dont take long before the burn starts.

The other one I read about, feels stupid doing but again gets a good burning going so its got to be doing something good. Think they called it the Yoga Warrior.

Getting and staying in good condition really helps increase success.
It allows you to stay out longer, and put in more hours.

-Exercise Regularly
-Eat right
-Keep your weight under control

There are 100s of ways to get in shape. My latest work out is based on Cross Training. Weights, running, biking, and Yoga.

I've been doing CrossFit for a few years now and can honestly say I'm in the best shape of my life. Before I was doing the typical 3x10 of strength one day and 30 min "cardio" the next. I became stagnate in regard to improvement and even saw weight gain begin to creep. I weigh less now than when I was in my later teens and still have much greater performance output in all domains. I often will hear people complain that it's expensive but in the grand scheme of things it's little in comparison to what you gain. Especially considering what some spend on hunting. They'll spend thousands on optics and weapons but will do little or nothing on improving the most important tool, their own body. I've been preparing for a backpack sheep and grizzly hunt in Alaska this August and feel like I'm ready to go right now. I've been doing CrossFit with a CrossFit Endurance bias and will ruck with a weighted pack once a week for an active "recovery" day. I look forward to having to wait on the guide and want the sheep to fear me.

> I look forward
>to having to wait on
>the guide and want the
>sheep to fear me.

Damn fine attitude!
Keep up the good work.
Good luck on your hunt.....and share with us upon your return.

Zeke

Good luck on your hunt. I had a sheep tag in Idaho in 04, I was 36 years old. I put my pack on with 40lbs of caping salt,and walked around the neighborhood, and took it to the gym for the stair climber. First 8 days of my hunt I clocked 96 miles, at that point had to turn off my GPS tracking option as it was killing my batteries. These miles were getting into and setting up the main camp, the rest,to and from spotting points. Good luck shoot straight. JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom