Sheep skulls/Medicine Trees

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Did anyone else see the article about bighorn sheep skulls grown into trees in the FNAWS newsletter that just came out. It was pretty interesting. Several skulls embedded in tree trunks have been found over the years that are in trees that are sometimes several hundred years old. No one is sure how the ram horns get into the crotch of the trees. Some theorize that the Indians put them there as some sort of spiritual offering or thanks. In at least one case (see link) the tree with the embedded ram skull became a sacred site or ?Medicine Tree? for the Indians. They have been found in several different states including Montana, Nevada and Idaho. Pretty cool stuff. I would love to find one. Anybody got any stories about them? Haven?t found much about them on the web.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?display=rednews/2001/10/21/build/magazine/medicinetree.inc

I recently saw an article with pictures too, but don't remember which publication it was. Pretty neat find that is for sure.

Brian

in elko nevada
m5.jpg

That one was mentioned in the article but I don't think there was a photo. Guess Elko Bighorns Unlimited has it. Did you take this photo? Thanks for posting it. Very cool.

My Uncle used to be an outfitter in Idaho. He had found a forked pine tree with a rocky mountain sheep skull in it. This was in the 80's.

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; you will; go far. Heath

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]Why is it when an indian puts a sheep skull in the fork of a tree it is something sacred, but when some pale face puts a skull in a tree it's just a dumb pale face messing with a skull??

JB

The same reason that they can write on rocks and its grounds for a national park but if I write on a rock its vandalism.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom