Sheep Transplants

Wyo

Anyone know of any scheduled sheep transplants for Wyoming this year? Also anybody know why wyoming never does any mountain goat transplants? It seems there are lots of places that would be ideal habitat for the white beasts. Just curious.

give G&F in Cheyenne a call 307-777-4600 they are always happy to get input from hunters.

Finally got an email back from the head of the Wyoming FNAWS chapter and he said there are no sheep transplants in the near future. Had no info why wyoming doesnt try to do goat transplants. I may have to write the G&F, but I would like to know why they don't do any goat transplants, it just seems that we could have way more goats than are here. Area 2 is the result of goats coming in from Idaho and apparently there is quite a few of them...imgaine if the G&F actually tried to promote a larger goat population.

Mtn goats aren't native to Wyoming, so they're not promoting it. There is very little interest compared to the popularity of sheep. In order to get more goats in Wyoming which I agree they should be doing, you'd need several of the more prominent sportsman groups to make a concerted effort to make it happen.

To start with we need to stop losing the sheep we got, and improve habitat that they'er in. there has been some progress but before we add more to the mix we need to get a handle on what we got.

I much prefer the bighorn sheep over the mountain goat, and like many I wish the G&F had more money to help increase sheep numbers. I often feel like they could be doing more to help our sheep. Its been nearly two decades since the major die off of whiskey mountain sheep and they still haven't recovered and nobody knows precisely what the problem is. I would love to see sheep returned to some of their native lower elevation habitats. And what about the bighorn mountains that area used to be home to so many sheep that the big horn river was named after them but now there are relatively few sheep in the big horns, though a new sheep area was opened this year near lovell.
As far as the mountian goats go, I'm certain I read somewhere that their native range extended as far south as northern wyoming which would make sense because they are native to western montana and central idaho. It would be neat if there were more of them, they seem to proliferate better than sheep. And it seems there wouldnt be too much trouble in getting more from elsewhere to transplant, but I do agree there isn't nearly as much public interest in goats as there are in sheep. Sorry for the rant, its just when i get to talkin about bighorn sheep I have a hard time stopping!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom