Shell Lease In NW Co

tailchasers

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-15 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-15 AT 08:30?PM (MST)

I have been speaking with CPW about the Shell lease in NW Corado and as many know Shell has sold all it's holdings in Colorado. There was a lease agreement between once Shell and CPW allowing 5 generations of sportmen to hunt the land they once owned as public property. Well since Shell has sold out there is a realestate tycon from Chicago who did the land transfer. Originally the land was owned by BLM and then sold to Shell then last year sold to another company who wants to put the land into RFW which with the lay of the land would make this very difficult for CPW to patrol and maintain as a RFW property. CPW is now researching into docments that state the land transfer between BLM and Shell included a land access aggreement between the parties assuring continued public asscess. With this information CPW has had several discussions with the LO and knowing their wishes have stated that if the LO wishes to enroll in RFW or remove the lease they, CPW, will not enforce any trespassing or illegal trespass activities since the land has been public for numerous generations without the new owner first doing extensive public aweness. Hopes are the lease will continue but this is not certain yet as the new lease has been extended by 1 year. When and if you see or hear of any information regarding the land closure, please let the owner know your thoughts but also share your information with others as they may not know of the closure. I hope the land access continues but I understand how big oil works...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

CPW really dropped the ball with this land transfer. There have been generations of people hunting on this land. Now all the sudden it is closed.. I doubt the CPW will get an agreement to continue public use, if so it will probably be very short time. Say goodbye to this lease, to bad the CPW didn't try to get involved in this purchase for all the millions of dollars in revenue it receives. Too bad for all the public hunters that used to use this great piece of land for hunting. Like everything else it all comes down to MONEY.. And that is what the RFW program is all about...

RFW.....Who is this group, name would help? What Units in Colo are included in this land situation before and now?

NW Colo covers a lot of land.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

RFW is CPW's Ranching for Wildlife Program, in which Landowners get a guaranteed certain amount of tags, which they can sell, for any weapon, any season, for use on their land. In return they have to let a very selected (from the annual state draw) few who can draw the tag hunt on their land. And your not going to get the primo dates, and locations, just what's left over.. Terrible program... seen it in action on a neighboring ranch. Unless you have the MONEY to buy the primo tags from the outfitter.. And the area this will be affecting would be Colorado unit 22..

FYI some of the Primo RFW tags in the NW part of the state can sell for $15,000 or more..

But if you've got the MONEY on a RFW ranch you can chase elk in September with high powered rifles..

Truly sad to see this chunk of land, not open to public hunters in the future..

Treedagain, the 2015 hunting a season is the last of the lease unless an agreement can be made and CPW is negotiating with the owner on a new agreement extending the lease preserving the lands. Big oil at its worst which is not what big oil is about.

saddling up anyway."

Do we know who the new owner is? I know the property inside and out as I a, one of those who has spent more time there than just about anyone else!

I can not get a straight answer as to who actually bought the ranch! I have actually had outfitters call me and ask about the property as there is a ton of great hunting to be had!

If I knew who then the owner was then I could work on getting local gears running! I was always surprised that she'll was so good about access.

Also is there any chance we could get a list from the CPW on people who have hunted unit 22? It is a huge unit and supports a ton of sportsmen activities! Going to RFW, will make only 1 person rich where as leaving it open to all.

I unfortunately missed the last CPW round table meeting!

I hope the state might secure the lease or maybe this is a big enoughroject for RMEF to get on board with?

Elks, I'll be talking with CPW again here soon and inquire about the new owner and let you know.

saddling up anyway."

Official word today from CPW is 2015 is the last year the lease is open. Land has been sold by the entity who purchased from Shell Oil to private individuals. Land will be privately owned and used for hunting purposes. Sorry guys as this really blows.

saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-15 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]
And this is our future if the far right politicians get elected and turn over public lands to the states.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-15
>AT 11:37?AM (MST)

>
>
>And this is our future if
>the far right politicians get
>elected and turn over public
>lands to the states.

yep...

This is a bad deal :(

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-15
>AT 11:37?AM (MST)

>
>
>And this is our future if
>the far right politicians get
>elected and turn over public
>lands to the states.

Elect the lefty liberals and they're against guns and hunting all-together. And there's nothing wrong with state owned and controlled public land, probably better than federal. The problem is that they shouldn't be selling it to private owners.

>So, is this official? No hunting
>will be allowed on the
>lease in 16?

Yes it is... There are already signs up stating that as of January 1 it is private and violators will be trespassed. Signs read 4 feathers ranch.

Does any one know how to get a map or something of what is private now? Cause I was up,there this year and could see some of the boundrys but not all of them. I just know they took lots of good hunting ground.

>Does any one know how to
>get a map or something
>of what is private now?
>Cause I was up,there this
>year and could see some
>of the boundrys but not
>all of them. I just
>know they took lots of
>good hunting ground.

The BLM maps show all that is private as private as the land was still private deeded ground. Basically now if the ground is white on the BLM map in the area, it is private and closed to hunting. If you go to the Colorado hunting atlas it will show all the ground and list it as shell lease. If you use an OnX hunting map the ground was marked white with dots to indicate the lease property open to public.

In all honesty we were lucky to have what he had. It has been a huge hit to my family who has had now 4 generations who have camped and hunted the area since the mid 80s.

Really it was never ours, they never really took anything, but instead we were lucky to have the access. The next big question will be how will they hunt the ground. If it is anything like what they have done to the property on the river they own, then the hunting will be just fine. In years past the outfitter on the river limited the number of hunter to ensure quality, now they stack hunters in there and the animals that used to find sanctuary on the river are now hiding on the BLM in the trees.

If they take this same approach on the Towers area that will mean more elk on the public.

I am however hearing rumors about the owners wanting to get RFW approved. If that is the case it could really mess up the entire west side unit and a chunk of unit 21.

My family has one last trip into the area for our annual sledding day and finding a Christmas tree on the BLM. After that we might drive through every now and then but like many others we will need to find new areas.

Anyone have a map showing the land holdings being discussed in this thread?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom