Shipping game home

huntdux

Hey everyone. I will be flying to Texas next month and have an opportunity to hunt a few hogs. Can anyone give me an idea the best way to get the meat and or tusks/skull back to Nevada. And any tips.or tricks to do so.

Thank you

Ship your gear home UPS and take the meat on the plane as checked baggage, in coolers with I think four pounds of dry ice or less per container.

Head and tusks, if you can boil it just ship it UPS. If you can get enough plastic bags around it so it doesn't smell you could still ship it UPS.

There isn't any law that says you can't ship a firearm from yourself to yourself but trying to convince an 18 year old UPS clerk that is going to be more problem than it's worth. So you will still have to take the firearm on the plane with you.

The content of my reply would apply to your circumstances, perhaps, depending on where in Texas and where in Nevada and your available time.
I'd think seriously about renting a car, one way, for a day ($2-300) and spend another $100 on gas and just take all my stuff home... if it were me.
This all depends on your willingness to drive the distance and the actual cost to do so.
Best of luck!!!!
I've never shot a hog but want to some day.
Zeke

I agree with Zeke...these days the hassel and forms needed to transport a firearm and ammo on a plane is very long.....you will need a special TSA approved gun case that locks and with the approved case TSA has a universal key. Dry Ice may not be allowed on a plane....you will need to check because it off gases carbon dioxide....you could freeze you meat prior to your flight and in closed Ice chest should hold for the flight home...Suggest you get as direct flight as possible....bone out game...your going to pay a surcharge for anything over 50 pounds....going to get expensive...
OR as Zeke indicated fly one way or drive both ways....best of both worlds....drive to Flagstaff stay onernight your in Texas the next Day....

Why spend all that time and money on a Texas Pig? Next door here in California there are tons of pigs and tons of outfitters that have access to private ranches with tons of pigs...just about gauanteed pigs by noon.....here is just a few names, CA registered guides, Wild Pig Hunting 1-707-321-0953 they are pricy but still much less that hassel of a Texas trip, D.J.Peck guide goggle him get a pig for around $650, Clay Avila he offers a two day hunt for around $700....plenty of other good outfitters here in CA.......its just a pig.......good luck which ever way you go....

))))------->

Hassle and forms to fly a firearm? I've flown many times with a rifle. There's no hassle and never had to fill out a form except a little piece of paper that goes in the gun case.

Coolers are heavy, find some fish boxes to ship your meat in back home. It's easy. Pay the additional dollars and don't worry about it. Good luck!

Ever had yer meat filled coolers show up 2wks after you did? Rent a car like zeke said.

I had a rifle show up 3 weeks late AND I WAS CHARGED A HUNDRED BUCKS SPECIAL HANDLING FEE!!!!
Can you say "rip off"? Haha
Btw: I was damn happy to get it back!!!
Zeke

Thanks for all the input.
I will be headed out to Weatherford Tx for a event called Hog fest with my friends at Axelson Tactical. I will not be traveling with firearms as they will all ready be out there for the event. It is a real quick trip due to scheduling conflicts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom