shooting and scope related questions

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I've zeroed in my gun and scope and am happy with my load. I began today practicing for more "hunting" type shots. I was laying down and resting on my backpack. At 200 yards, it seems that I shoot better with my scope turned down, say on 7 power, rather than on 14 power. I wonder why? I am shooting a 7mm magnum with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40. It almost makes me wish I would have gotten a 3-10 power scope.
I also shoot tons better with my 223 at 200 yards over my 7mm when shooting from a lying position resting on my backpack. I don't think it's the recoil thats bothering me because I have no issues shooting off bags at 100 and 200 with either gun. Any thoughts???

Sounds like we have almost identical rifles. Mine is a Rem 700 BDL. Ive never spent any time trying to shoot a 7 power at 200. I will have to give it a "shot".

My thoughts are (for what it's worth)
NEVER shoot a scope on it's full power, that will only exaggerate any movement you have. I shoot the variXIII on my .300wby, but it's the 3.5-10 50mm and it never leaves 8 power.

As far as your .223 shooting better, that could be a lot of factors besides the recoil. Personally i don't shoot two rifles equally as well in similar positions either.

My advise is to keep the power down on your 7MM and shoot shoot shoot. :)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Slamdunk is right. The more magnification, the more exageration you'll see in your movement and the more you'll try and compensate for that.

That makes sense. So I guess I'm okay to keep my 4.5-14 scope, just never turn it up that high. I think 10 power is plenty and personally, I like to have it set at about 7 or 8 for 200 yards. Unfortunately, 200 yards is the max distance at the range I go to.

What size group, or what size target, should I be satisfied with hitting at 200 yards to ensure I'd be okay if a 300 yard shot presented itself? I plan on having my scope set at 2" high at 200 yards. I figure if I can consistently hit something the size of a grape fruit at 200 yards, I'll be fine at 300 since I'm not able to practice much at 300.

Muleymaddness;
I have never been a big fan of scopes over 3-9 power for most big game hunting. On a varmit rig the higher power is sometimes needed for prarrie dogs and other small game. I feel very comfortable with a 3x9 power out to 600 yards.
As for your shooting, if you can place your shots into a grapefruit at 200 yards, you are not going to have any problems putting your shots into the vital kill zone of a deer at 300 yards. That grapefruit is about 5 inches in dia, and a mature muley deer kill zone is about 12-14 inches that takes in lungs, heart area. In fact you should be good at 400 yards with that 200 yard grouping as long as you compersate for the bullet drop.
If more hunters would practice as you are doing, and be able to pop a grapefruit at 200 consistently, we would hear less stories about wounded game.

RELH

It dosen't matter what power your scope is, how good your load is or how much the whole package costs......if you don't shoot a lot and become proficient and comfortable with whatever you are using.

You may THINK recoil is no issue, but your body has it's own way of protecting itself...flinch. The only way to get beyond that is by shooting until you have trained your mind AND body to adapt to the most natural reflex/response to the shot.

Sounds as though you are on the right track.

Higher power in a scope does NOT exaggerate movement. I just allows you to see that movement better. Just because you can't see it movin', it doesn't mean it aint movin'. I personally think that if you can see the cross hairs moving, you can do something about it. Otherwise, you're just throwing lead in the general direction.

I can't explain why you would shoot tighter groups on a lower power setting, it just don't make no sense - and it kinda goes against logic.

The only proof I have of being right, is that I'm older than most of you guys, which means I've been shooting longer. My shooting/hunting/reloading buddy and I shoot 15,000+ rounds per year; I do over 10,000. He has won a couple of the rifle golf games in northern Utah (each time he's entered). We both do well on distant game targets, as well. We use all of the magnification available, if time and circumstances allow. I have the Leupold 4.5 -14 x 50. On two of the last three deer, it was turned to 14. The other was only 276 yards, so it doesn't matter.....you're not going to miss those kind. I "walk the mountain" at 4 power, in case there is a jump shot. If I do a stalk, it will be on 14, when I actually shoot, unless I'm simply so close I can't miss.

Logic says use the most magnification available, when circumstances make it realistic.

Keep practicing (the real trick) and good luck.

dleonard3-
What are you smokin!!!
Turn YOUR scope down on 4X and look at a fixed target, now crank it up and tell me what happens!!
EVERY movement you have holding your rifle IS exaggerated!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

I also think you might want to look VERY closely at your body and how it is reacting or preparing for the recoil. I remember years ago when I "Didn't ever flinch" and I'll tell you what. If for some reason the old .300 didn't fire it would still kick hard enough to make me wonder what just happened. Same thing would happen when shooting trap with my shotgun. I think most of the time the reaction was late enough that it didn't effect the shot much and I just didn't notice it. Especially with the shotgun because I could shoot very well and won a bunch of shoots. Every now and then though the reaction came before the cause and I'd miss terribly! If any of you guys have ever shot trap or at the range I'm sure you've probably watched someone's gun go click and saw them almost tip over with the recoil. It sure is funny, unless you're the one getting tipped over! :)

A very good friend of mine helped this all sink in one day at the rifle range. We were trying out some new loads that he built and he told me the my gun was all set up and ready to shoot. Just take the safety off and get after it. Well I settled in and jerked big time! The gun didn't go off but the recoil did! He laughed HARD for oh about 40 minutes is all. After that he wouldn't let me look while he loaded the gun. Then he'd hand it to me and I'd shoot. Sometimes he put a bullet in and sometimes he didn't. If the gun didn't go off and the crosshairs moved then I didn't do my part. I honestly believe that it took almost a full summer to set it in my head that I was going to squeeze the trigger slowly and not pull it.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to do pull this same trick on my little brother just before we went after a big muley that I'd been seeing. Since it was the day before the hunt and he hadn't had time to shoot much lately I figured it might be a good idea... Anyway, I sat him down and told him to take 3 of his best shots so we could make sure his gun was ready to go. I told him the gun was loaded and he would just need to take off the safety and shoot. He pulled the trigger, the gun went click and it honestly damn near took his shoulder off! He looked at me like he'd just seen a ghost! Oh I laughed until I almost threw up! It was sure nice being on the other end of things. Oh, my little brother ended up shooting the buck that next day on opening morning too. I won't say how many shots it took from only 150yds but he nailed it! The gun was sighted in perfectly. I guess that leads us to another thing we need to keep in mind. That grapefruit at 200 yards might be only 5" in diameter but it's probably much bigger than a deer's vitals if you suffer from major buck fever. :)

If you have a friend of family member that will go out with you maybe see if they will load your gun up for ya. I just might help. Maybe it won't but my guess is it will for the majority of those that "don't flinch".

Good luck!

NvrEnuf

I completely agree - and have had the same stunt pulled on me.

I think the main way to get over this is like you said, go shoot with someone and have them load your gun. I don't have this luxury. I'll be using option B - shooting as much and as often as I possibly can. Getting VERY intimate, if you will, with that gun.

I agree with what you said about the grapefruit groups coupled with buck fever.

I think the one thing that helps with buck fever is to be 100% confident with your gun and your shooting.

This is why I have always shot a fixed 6x. I have never liked variabals..Most hunters I talk to very seldom shoot at game at more then 6x anyway.

Take your 7mm out shooting jack rabbits. It's good practice and if you can hit them you can hit a deers vitals. j/k.......Keep shooting the gun over and over. Alot of it may have to do with confidence in the gun.

Power or magnification with the scope you have should make no difference. Better vision of the target is always better.

Bottom line if you can't hold it still you can't hit the same spot..without some luck anyways.

Surely the recoil is a factor.

You have a great set up. Just shoot it a bunch and get used to it.

Good luck,

Don't shoot til your ready!

I agree with GB22. 3 years ago my best friends father passed away and they gave me his LH 300WBY. I put a Leu 4.5X14BC on it.That year several friends and I drew tags in a good unit in Eastern Oregon. I let several friends use it to shoot their bucks. 4 of us killed bucks with the rifle at 300, 310, 406 and mine at 160 yards. Two people in prone positions shot the rifle on 14 power 300 and 406. The remaining two shot their bucks on 6 power. The buck at 406 yards was shot by my friends 65 year old father, who needed the extra power. I couldn't have been more proud, his best buck. I love the Leu 4.5X14, I wish I could have afforded one sooner.

If its not trigger,or eye relief,it could be posssibly stock issue. Keep on practicing. JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom