Shooting In Snow

elknut

Love input from you pro's

Tonight I will be shooting deer in snow (looks to be a clear sunny day). What should I start with for configuration on my D200, 18-200VR

SP
IOS 400, 320, 250, 200, 160 or 100?
White Balance?
Other?

I don't have a bipod / tripod yet. I am going to pick one up soon - what do you like here?

full sun and snow - VERY difficult especially if your subject moves in and out of the sun from the shade! If youre not set up right, it will drive you mad! Watch the shadows!!!!!!!!

dont forget white balance!!!!

you have to set that d200 up to suit your needs and likes and diss likes! there are lots of settings and each does something to the resulting image, unless you shoot RAW and do more work later on the computer. I do not, i nail it and shoot jpg.

You may want to shoot auto ISO if they move from dark areas to bright ones, otherwise if in full light shoot iso 100 and custom white balance, or cloudy - or + to suit your tast.

you can meter the snow and add 1.7 or you can area meter the animal and the snow and see what you get. Or you can meter a gray card, or green trees and set the camera for that exposure value, or you can meter the north sky. In any event, you have the lcd, set it for the blinky setting, expose for the ANIMAL and NOT the snow, or plan to do a bunch of post prosessing. Whatch the snout and the white, they will blow out - so will the antlers if youre not on top of things. blown antlers are okay so long as you get the right exposure for the face and body! Remember this, expose for the subject - dont forget that no matter what your camera is telling you, expose for the subject and let everything else fall in it's place - even if that place is outside the latitude of your equipment.

I'd shoot it in appature and dial in +1.7 or there abouts of compensation, if it's full light and snow and not changing rapidly.

Or, you could shoot it mannual and just read the light meter as you move around and adjust accordingly.

dont forget color space, hue, saturation, tone, sharpening, jpg copression and file size!

And last but not least, a spare battery and CF card!

Oh yea, with that lens you should be able to shoot it hand held with NO problems. In good light I use a mono pod and if I'm shooting out past 200 a tripod.

TFinal,

Thank you - also I want to say sorry, you (and others) have some good archive posts on this subject, I will do more research before posting next time.

BTW your photos are outstanding!

If you are shooting static scenes, I would bracket for exposure, and white balance, 1.5 over to correct, to 1.5 under on exposure, I have been shooting alot of snow lately and my white balance really seems to like 5500K. Braketing will help you learn your camera a little better as well. I have been shooting RAW , for the simple fact that I can see my work alot better on a 20" widescreen moniter over the display on the camera plus it is giving me a chance to learn my photoshop program a little better, I am just starting to believe in my histogram on my camera, and not looking at the actual picture until I download. Snow is darn tricky though.
hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif

Well - I had a few little bucks on the move but lost my battery, sure goes fast in the cold. I did take this shot just at dark; notice a few deer on the ridgeline.

45adca77247e17ee.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom