Shooting problem need thoughts?

SKT

Hey I was shooting my rifle this weekend and I'm having a little bit of a problem, I have a burris c4 plus scope so I shot it at 100 yards 2 bullets they hit 1/2 apart center to center so I let barrel cool off, turned turret to 200 yds shot 1 bullet perfect bullseye, let barrel cool again, turned turret to 400 yards shot 2 shots hit 8 inches right of cent both bullets touching each other, no wind at all dead calm, rings and mounts rock solid, my question is do you think it's a bullet problem or a scope problem?

Not a bullet problem if the 100 - 200 yards are shooting well. How familiar are you with shooting at 400 yards? This doesn't seem like a long ways in this day and time but really takes practice. Shoot more than just 5 rounds. Sounds like your grouping is good. Test the scope turret by shooting a 1" box at 100 yards by shooting 1 bullseye then adjust windage 4 clicks to right, shoot at bullseye, then udjust elevation 4 clicks up, shoot for bullseye, adjust windage 4 clicks left shoot for bullseye, adjust elevation down 4 clicks and you should have a nice 4 shot square and be zeroed back on bullseye.

I shoot regularly out to 500 yards usually 400 yards is fairly easy shot that's why it didn't make sense to me why I was hitting where I was at 400, but I will try the 1 inch box shot at 100 and let ya know what I come up with, Thanks!

How was the mirage when you were shooting? Was your parallax adjusted? Is your scopes crosshairs leveled to the rifle and do you use a scope level when shooting? Are these hand loads?

Were you actually shooting at different ranges or just adjusting the turret and shooting at 100 yards?

Cahunter has some important questions for you and that's a good place to start.

Preliminary answer would seem like you gun shoots well enough but you've got some tracking issues either with the scope or canting or something.

Zeke

There were very slight thermal waves in the scope but not bad, parralax was adjusted at every range I shot, the scope was not leveled to the gun, I've never had problems with this on any of my other rifles shooting good at long range, I am shooting factory ammo with Berger VLD bullets.

SKT
I suspect it's either your crosshairs are a little canted or the scope is not tracking correctly or a combo of both. I see you didn't shoot it at 300 also.
What I would do is a tall target test and check the scopes tracking and crosshairs. The tall target test shows you a lot and is pretty easy and quick.
Here's a link to get you started. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/11/calibrate-your-clicks-with-tall-target-test/

It does sound like the scope is canted. I have 10 Burris c4+ scopes that I've been putting on my rifles and muzzleloaders. The only thing negative I can say is the 4.5-14 1" tube doesn't have a big range of adjustment so I'm using Burris Signature rings and inserts to replicate having a 20 moa rail, for more elevation adjustment.

If anything is wrong with that scope Burris will make it right.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom