Shooting sticks or a bipod

I use to have a Harris bipod but gave it to my buddy because I didn't like the extra weight on my rifle.. I just recently made my own pair of shooting sticks. They fit on my fanny pack and I can get them out and set up in less then 10 seconds if I need them....I prefer the sticks over a bipod....

Depends WHERE I'm hunting. When I backpack hunt I use Stoney Shooting sticks, very lightweight. Otherwise I use a Harris bipod, much more stable than the Stoney sticks but heavier.

MARSHEK produces INSTANT STICK. folds down to 16 " lg and comes with its own deer skin sheve.
and THEY will burn in (brand)elk head, deer head,
bear, goat, or what ever onto the sheve.
I used them last year, also gave a set to Bigtines,
the slide action on the sticks makes it easy to shoot fron 8" off the deck to kneeling. and the leather boot restgrips the gun.
The sheve provides out of the way transport until you need them.
Flip, Flop, wala, INSTANT STICKS.
I'm sold, how about you.
they aren't cheep,
haven't seen any on e-bay for a while.
I'll post a picture of mine so you can see.
hands down the stick are the way to go.
the're lots of them out there. but by far I think INSTANT STICK
found the key.

I just got the versa-pod for Christmas and I haven't shot with it mounted yet but you mount the bracket to the front of your rifle and then the legs are held on by a pin. So you don't have all the extra weight until your ready to shoot. Then you can pull the legs out of your pack clip them on and get ready for the shot. Sounds good any ways. You can do a search here in the forums and find a ton of posts about the subject. That is how I made my desicion. Good luck.

I have both and it depends what country you are hunting. If its mostly flat I would use the bipod. On rugged terrain I use the stix. Its easier to get level.

ELK.....Where did you get those? If it was on e-bay ,do you have a web page address or any other info on where I can get some? They sound exactly what I'm looking for! I want something quick, light and easy to use. I used a Harris bypod and although it got the job done, it cost me a shot at a huge bear. The bear came off the side of this canyon real quick and because I had the legs extended anticipating a shot across the canyon, where he came down I could'nt adjust in time to shoot at such an incline. So I was pretty burnt with the Harris.

Stixs for certain My wife and myself both have a pair of steady stixs 2. They are awesome lightweight and fold up to a compact size they also come with a sheath that slides on to your belt. They are easy to activate also, they have 3 sections that when you let go of the two bottom sections they automatically slide into each other like tent posts.

Check out cabellas and type shooting Sticks.

My opinion is to get a stick with 2 legs makes for alot sturdier shot exspecially sitting

never used a bipod, but this year used the Stoney Point Steady Stix. I will never NOT use them again, made for a steady shot and never had to hold the weight of the gun up. I never have liked a bipod on a rifle, but know some who do.

I have the stoney point 36" shooting stixs and after taking a cow at 450 yards with them I'll never hunt without them, I also use them as a walking stick and now know why backpackers use walking sticks, it cuts out a lot of the leg work. I noticed a big difference after walking a day with the shooting sticks as a walking stick, my legs weren't half as sore.

I have always used bipodes. I thought some shooting sticks would be nice for my wife Ruger All Weather because it does not have a built in sling stud, but they are just as much as bibods so I got her a clamp on sling stud and it works fine.
Michael

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-04 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]I made some sticks about 5 years ago, I never leave home without them. One good shot is worth about 10 bad. 3 years ago in Utah I was scopeing out a big side hill and a good 4 point stood up out of his bed. I had the sticks stuck down in the dirt with my rifle sitting on them. as soon as I spotted the buck I got in position on the rifle and wham! I would tell you how far away he was but you would think I was telling a huntin story. Sticks are great! I made mine out of 2 dowls sharpend on one end and a bolt. You can make them as long as you want & its cheap. Good hunting Littlebuck.

The bipod Tony Diebold out of Nevada manufactures is a quality piece of hunting equipment. Quick to set up, light and rugged, it does what it's supposed to do and that is allow you to get off an accurate first shot.

I hardly never go afield without my bi-pod...It has made the differance on so many occasions...I have used both the harris and caldwell bi-pod's. I currently used the caldwell due to the pivoting, angle, and adjustments it has.....also it is lighter than the harris.....Dwayne

I'm a contrarian. I still prefer to shoot over a big, well-stuffed daypack (if it is tall enough). But my answer depends upon the situation. I have a deal I attach to the top of my tripod, which I always have. It is the best - after the pack. Short bipods are often too short in the tall grass and brush. If the shot can happen slowly, I pick a spot and use a pack. If it has to happen fast, I use a bipod if possible.

I like to use the mirror or the hood. If you shot over the bed its to loud. O ya honda seats are real nice too.

I like the stix for two reasons; instant ability to shoot on uneven ground at varrying heights and they are light.

I have used both. What I use now depends on where I'm hunting and what gun I carry.. If I hunt the mtns, I will the stix. Flat ground-the bipod. I am now going to take a real hard look at the Snipe pod and the Versa pod now though..

As a addition to this I do take the stix with me even if I have the bipod on. I always use the stix to balance my binoculars for long glassing sessions....

Since I have used the Harris Bipod,I will always use the Harris Bipod. I have the one you use while sitting. Yes it does make your gun heavier but this is no sissy sport.Buy it!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom