Shooting sticks ( tripod ) or mounted bypod?

deerslayer64d

Have a mule deer hunt booked for nov here in TX and thinking about the different shooting situation so I may find myself in , standing/sitting/ kneeling/ prone , prone would probably just use my backpack as rest but for the other situation which would be better a mountain bipod such as Harris or Hatch or a set of adjustable shooting sticks or tripods? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Bipods are the best, for accuracy. The Q, can you really use them, frequently, they aren't high enough to shoot over the brush around you.

I shot my last Antelope using 3' of 1"x2" sticks that I made myself. Less than 5 bucks from the hardware store. For sitting, this is pretty darn good. Sitting gets you above the brush/grass.

The one before that, I used fiberglass tent posts....you wire and then tap them together....adjustable height, and collapsible. When you are going to have to shoot standing, this is real good.

My grand-son used an aluminum monopod camera stand last year. That is what I am going to use for elk....less than 10 bucks from the thrift store. This is so-so....but way better than off-hand.

I have a set of the tripod style trigger sticks and love them. They are relatively light and quickly adjustable. They can be a hassle to carry if you move around a lot, so I attached a gun sling to mine for ease of carrying when I’m on the move.

I’d like to not have to shoot distance from a standing position if possible but if I must I think a trypod is the way to go , got about 26 days to figure it out and get something ordered ?‍♂️

I second the trigger stick, have taken 2 standing shots at the last 2 bucks I’ve killed. They can be cumbersome, but I use mine as my bino tripod, and when you need it you just need it I would prefer a prone shot off a pack or a weapon mounted bipod, but often I don’t get those shots, hopefully this year is different

I use my pack tripod- Slik 634 w/Wiser Precision Nighthawk head. I keep one of these V-rests in the head (requires Arca plate) when I'm not glassing. while I'm hiking, I'll often have the legs extended and height set for standing shots. This year I used it to kill a buck that by chance came in without ever seeing me. For long range shots, there is usually time to set the tripod low for prone shooting position and use a rear bag.

Last edited:
I’d like to not have to shoot distance from a standing position if possible but if I must I think a trypod is the way to go , got about 26 days to figure it out and get something ordered ?‍♂️
I had the same dilemma this year trying to figure out between a bipod and shooting sticks for my antelope and elk hunt.

I took a chance and lugged my shooting tripod and bipod stick. I took both antelope and elk standing up with this setup. Turns out it was actually just as stable as laying prone. I used the tripod to support my rifle's fore-end and the bipod stick as a rear rest. It was very solid and felt like my rifle was on a vice.

The con is, this setup is heavy and will add a few precious seconds to your shot preparation.

So I ended up ordering the trakiom aluminum adjustable tripod and it should get to me 11-2-2023 giving me plenty of time to practice with it sitting and standing, figured a tripod would be more stable then shooting sticks but like mentioned above will require a little bit more time in setting up for the shot!!

For serious shooting a mounted bipod is the only way to go. I've been using Atlas and the taller Harris that works sitting and they work well. Gunwerks just came out with a new one 9"-19" that looks great but they're being shipped as they're built so I'm waiting.

If you're standing maybe carry one of the 10,000 semi-useless devices for that in addition to a good bipod. good luck shooting very far wobbling around on a stick or two.

For serious shooting a mounted bipod is the only way to go. I've been using Atlas and the taller Harris that works sitting and they work well. Gunwerks just came out with a new one 9"-19" that looks great but they're being shipped as they're built so I'm waiting.

If you're standing maybe carry one of the 10,000 semi-useless devices for that in addition to a good bipod. good luck shooting very far wobbling around on a stick or two.
I bought a tripod that seems very steady, I will find out tomorrow morning just how steady

My Dad uses a BogPog tripod thing and he's always got it in his hand.....its not good if you lose your balance or need that extra hand to grab a tree branch or something like that. I prefer my Harris bipod......I've never let an animal get away not being able to get into a good shooting position. Everything takes practice though.

Hatch. 100 percent. Just keep a pic rail on all your guns and this thing can slide on or off to whichever one you are using. Easy pack away and it goes on in a split second.

This item can make or break a hunt!!!

Whenever I see the crew on Fresh Tracks or any other show start laying the rifle down over a backpack it makes me want to 🤮!!

Hatch. 100 percent. Just keep a pic rail on all your guns and this thing can slide on or off to whichever one you are using. Easy pack away and it goes on in a split second.

This item can make or break a hunt!!!

Whenever I see the crew on Fresh Tracks or any other show start laying the rifle down over a backpack it makes me want to 🤮!!
They are very nice....and can be put in many, many positions. I thought about buying one but that $475 price tag kept me from pulling the trigger. I use a Harris bipod on all my hunts. I've got 2 of them and they are easily switched from one gun to another without adding a pic rail. To each his own....I agree with you, the Hatch bipod is very nice.

When you are on a side hill and in a sitting position—-they are worth every penny.

The fact that you can lower each side at the blink of an eye makes it worth it.

I went and shot out to 600 yards with the trakiom tripod and it was very steady sitting and standing, if I have to lay down to shoot I will use my backpack even though that’s makes some people feel sick lol , 8 days until I head out on my mule deer hunt , it’s going to be a long week next week lol

The only problem I have with Harris is the attachment to the stalk. It tends to dig into my back/shoulder when hiking around. Rock solid bipod and happy with the performance otherwise.

How was the hunt?
Honestly was not really what I was sold , I did manage to harvest a deer but only after talking to one of the ranch hands who is at the ranch weekly and knows the ranch ! No prior scouting was done by the guide . Hunted four days daylight to dark seeing only 4 deer including the one I shot , I get it , it’s hunting but when your charging a client to guide them you would think they would do some scouting 🤷.

You hear a lot of that kind of story....maybe some guides feel they don't have to work extra hard for clients as the client pool is getting smaller and more priced out? The clients that want to hunt will always pay for it maybe is the attitude of some guides. Sad if its true.

I second the trigger stick, have taken 2 standing shots at the last 2 bucks I’ve killed. They can be cumbersome, but I use mine as my bino tripod, and when you need it you just need it I would prefer a prone shot off a pack or a weapon mounted bipod, but often I don’t get those shots, hopefully this year is different
Update, was not different, ended up below my buck so used my tripod trigger stick and my pack (seated/ hugging it) to make a super solid platform to shoot off of and it worked out well

I like my Harris bipod. It has yet to not be tall enough.
Great to have that Harris Bipod always at the ready ! Been using it since 1978 on every rifle- super great quality , now with adjustable rotation & good height adjustments to- it’s fantastic!
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado 😁🍀

I have an atlas bipod on my rifle but I also have an Arca rail for mounting on my tripod. I like having options whether shooting prone, setting up on a branch or rock. If I have time to set up I’ll get comfy on the tripod. I had a lot of time to set up on the tripod and watch the cow elk I picked out, with my pack supporting my back and sitting for an uphill shot.

When you are on a side hill and in a sitting position—-they are worth every penny.

The fact that you can lower each side at the blink of an eye makes it worth it.
I agree! 100% worth the money. Being able to adjust them for awkward shots has gotten me a couple animals I'm not sure I'd have if I would've been using other types.

I don’t like have a bipod attached to my rifle. I have seen some detachable ones that pique my interest, but at this point I refuse to buy another bipod. I have been using a relatively cheap shooting stick that folds out into a bipod and has a tremendous range of height. It basically functions just like a bipod that would be attached to the rifle, but it does not attached to the rifle. I usually keep it accessible on my backpack or sometimes use it as a walking stick. The only downside is that you might forget it in the truck if you take off on a short hike without your backpack or something like that, or worse yet you could leave it in the field. I’m actually surprised that I have not left mine in the field yet, but I don’t do that much shooting, lol.

I usually carry one of the tall Bog pod tripods and use it sort of as a walking stick. I have a 9-13 inch pivoting Harris on the gun but only about 1 out of 4 or so situations allow that without wasting time and getting frustrated crap is in your way when you get down on the gun. Kneeling or sitting you can make quick accurate shots out to about 350-400 yards with the tripod. Longer than that I will take a second to get set up better. I learned a long time ago all the work and preparation means nothing if your not ready for quick field position shooting at distance. Carry the extra shooting support it is worth it. Also on longer hikes/pack ins the quick stix things from Wiser Precision turn my Leki trekking poles into great lightweight bi pod in seconds.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom