Shooting sticks?

alsatian

Who uses shooting sticks or bipods and what are your results?

I have some thin fiberglass crossed sticks I bought and used once at the rifle range. It seemed to me that my shots were several inches high. I could just rezero my rifle, but then my shots would be low if I didn't use the fiberglass sticks. Also, I wasn't confident that the effect was only a change of zero but maybe introduced variability depending on how I used them. I hve never used them since.

I'm going on my first pronghorn antelope hunt in October and would like as much shooting assistance as I can get. What do you recommend? Wooden shooting sticks? Metal folding bipods?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-04 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]i have harris bi-pods on 3 of my rifles and they will never come off, they have helped me connect on more than one tough shot. just my 2cents

Geoff

Just a suggestion:
If you are resting the barrel directly on the shooting sticks, it will throw your aim off. If your barrel is free floating and you are resting the forend on the sticks, as is proper, you might have a weak stock (ie: cheap synthetic) that bends and contacts the barrel, throwing your aim off as well. both of these problems would cause your point of impact to shift up.
Good luck

I use the Versa-Pod bipod...you are able to remove it easily and they provide two adapters (for 2 rifles). It adds a little weight but I have no complaints. Besides...who wants to carry around some sticks even if they are foldable. Happy hunting!

Stoney Point tripod. Much more stable platform than a bipod. Extending legs. I've practiced a lot with it this summer and won't be without it when hunting. The tripod takes a little longer to get set up than a bipod, but it's worth it. I keep mine extended to the length that I am most likely to use it
(sitting) and adjust from there.

A couple of arrow shafts lashed together with fly line backing is a suitable, economical answer to the need for shooting sticks when firing from a kneeling or sitting position. I've utilized this setup for several years and on a couple pronghorn hunts with excellent results.

The bipod sold by Tony Diebold is an outstanding piece of equipment if you want manufactured product. He's in northern Nevada and advertises in most of the western hunting magazines.

Thanks for the reply. I fished out my shooting sticks last night. They are Stoney Point (spelling?). I'm going to give them another try and find out what the results are this time around. My stock floats my barrel, but the stock is a stout walnut stock made by my father and is thicker in the fore end than the typical manufacturer's fore end stock. I may also try making a pair of shooting sticks from wooden dowel rods per a suggestion I read elsewhere.

I have a pair of Pronghorn shooting sticks, ( fiberglass and shock-corded). They have helped me on several shots. Have not noticed any difference in zero when using them.

Phantom Hunter

I use a harris Bipod. If I didn't have these on my rifle, there's no way in hell that I would've taken my deer. (360 yards to be specific). I'm not one for sitting shooting, I really prefer the prone position. At the range to sigh in I use two sand bags filled w/ pea gravel. GREAT REST to sight in on. Never been more accurate in my life.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I made my own shooting sticks out of feberglass tent rods and shock cord. Tha way I can fold them up and stick in my fanny pack when not using them...So far so good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom