Shooting uphill and downhill

live4muleys

I tried to piggy back on another post to get this answered with no luck so I thought I would give it it's own post.

If you have a range finder that calculates for uphill and downhill will you still hit high or low? So if I am shooting down a steep canyon and the range finder tells me 300yds (set on angle mode) do I shot as if the shoot was 300 or do I still have to compensate more? The actual distance from me to the animal is 300yds according to trigonometry but how does the elevation change still affect the shoot?

Thanks

Gravity will affe t the bullet over the horizontal distance not over the angle distance. If the range finder compensates hold for what it tells you. If no compensation the actual distance is less than the angle, i.e. hold low.

If your rangefinder corrects for the angle then you shoot to the distance given.
Also uphill or downhill no matter which one you will always hit high if you don't correct for the angle. Be careful on steep angle shots not to get scope bite.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-16 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]Makes no difference if it's a muzzleloader, rifle or bow you need to adjust when shooting angles.

>If your rangefinder corrects for the
>angle then you shoot to
>the distance given.
>Also uphill or downhill no matter
>which one you will always
>hit high if you don't
>correct for the angle. Be
>careful on steep angle shots
>not to get scope bite.
>

Yep exactly+1

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom