SHOT GROUP WITH PYRODEX

B

bigtom

I RECENTLY PURCHACED A THOMPSON BLACK DIAMOND .50 CAL AND I BOUGHT PYRODEX SELECT POWDER AND I AM USING THE 240 GR XTP SABBOTED BULLET . I AM GETTING A GROUP OF 3 INCHES AT 100 YDS. IS THIS WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT OR CAN I GET A BETTER GROUP FROM THE PELETS I AM LOADING 150 GRS OF SELECT NOW . ALSO I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THE SPEED DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO .I AM GOING TO USE THE MUSKET CAP FOR IGNITION . THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR ADVICE YOU CAN OFFER .

Bigtom,

When I first got started into muzzleloading I thought that I would be alot better off going with as much powder as my gun could handle. Boy was I ever wrong. Any time I would load it up with more then 100 grains or Pyrodex RS my groupings woulg go right out the window.

I would recommend starting your loads at 90 grains and work your way back up to the 150 grains. You'll probably find out that your best groupings will be with a charge between 100 and 120 grains. If you can not get your groupings to drope below 2 inches at 100 yards I would start the proccess all over with a defferent bullet.

Good luck and be safe.

400bull

I get my best groups with a 100gr and my buddy get his with 130 so each gun is a little different,His is a Black Diamond too, but he shots a really heavy bullet 405gr but it groups around a 1"-1 1/2 at a 100 and 2 1/2 at 200.

400Bull is right on. I did exactly what he's recommending to you except I use a 295 gr Powerbelt in my Blackdiamond. Turns out that I get nice tight groups at 100 yards, open sights, using 110 grains of Pyrodex RS. I tried using the pellets but I could get the performance and accuracy that I'm getting using the loose powder.

I couldn't agree more. Try stepping down the powder to 100 grains. I've had great luck with that bullet. Also, there are different sabots for loads over 100 grains. Regular sabots won't stand up to the extra pressure. You need sabots designed for magnum loads.

Sheephunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom