Should I Turn Tag back in?

jbendy

I have a unit 2 3rd season deer tag, took a scouting trip there last weekend. Boy that is some big country, it seems like the south side of hwy 318 is tough to hunt with all the private mixed in, plus with the cow hunters there it might get a little crowded. The north side of 318 is all mainly blm, but with the low deer density, it looks like it might be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Now I know its the middle of summer and the deer are staying out of the heat, but will there be enough deer in the unit come nov. to find a decent buck. Any info you guys or gals can give me I would appreciate. I do not have, I should say very little experience hunting deer out west, mainly whitetails. Thanks in advance.

Jim

There is a reason this unit takes the points it does to draw but don't expect a deer behind every tree. Ya gotta work for um.

On another note, you drew the tag fair and square after applying. You had ample opportunity to scout the unit prior to applying and now that you realize its not as easy as you had thought you want to turn the tag back in. That to me sir is plain BS because the DOW will not issue someone else a tag in your place so in essence you took a very limited tag outta another hunters hands. You drew this tag now go hunt that big bruiser that's waiting in there for you. Don't be intimidated be excited for this rare opportunity you have received. This is an awesome unit with incredible potential!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I've never hunted unit 2 because I've never had nearly enough points to draw. I have hunted unit 3 right across the Little Snake and there were deer. As you said, Unit 2 is big wild country [mostly BLM] with very few tags sold. There has to be trophy bucks that have seen very little hunting pressure. I'd go for it and bet that you'll find pockets of deer. Scouting seems very important because those pockets may take some looking. Of course, you could spend the money and hire an outfitter.

It would be a crying shame to turn that tag in! The unit is huge and a good portion of the unit contains 0 deer. Find the pockets and you will find nice bucks . . .

Tailchaser hit the nail on the head.....The funny thing is that I am the other guy that got snubbed out of the tag. I was the other Non-Res that did not draw the tag. I have done ample research and spent time in 2 and would give my left nut to have that tag in my pocket this year. With that many points burned you would think a guy would have done some research on the unit prior to applying IMO. If you want numbers of deer 2 is not the unit. I would look at 21, I don't care if you turn the tag in one less buck killed for next year. I thought this would have been the year for me to draw it, and to find out a fellar that has never stepped foot in the unit or has no idea what he has drawn, holds the tag. It's a little frustrating. Anyway whatever you choose to do good luck this fall, it is a big unit and if you are not familiar with the area it can be a real tough hunt.

See toads in 2 each and every year, wish I would of done a 2 archery tag instead of 21 rifle when I had the points.... the unit isn't crawling with deer like said before me. Guys just got to just know where to look. There is always a good buck or two in the northern part of the unit just takes some looking. If you want to see the numbers go south for example Iron Mine Basin, Limestone Ridge, Around the Coke Ovens, Jack Springs, Peterson Draw and so on..
Coloradoboy

Unit 2 3rd season is a great tag. You will not see large numbers of deer but there are some good bucks in the unit.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

Hi Jim,
Congratulations on the draw it is a good tag to have. We will be there and know it quite well, if you would like some help and increase your opportunity for success please let us know.
Thanks,
Chris
cjoutfitters.com

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom