Should land owner tags be unit wide??

all4freedom

My question is the subject. I don’t think they ought to be unit wide but am interested in others opinions. I’ll guess those that receive the land owner tags will say yes.

I think landowner tags are ok to an extent but I don’t necessarily agree with landowners getting LE tags for having a couple hundred acres then selling them for several thousand each for someone to hunt everywhere on the unit except that property.

If you limit landowners to only hunt there property on a landowner permit then you need to allow them to hunt when the deer, elk or Antelope is on there land. Which might be during the rut or late season in the middle of winter.

Ok then landowner’s should use landowner tags and not be able to sell to the highest bidder or raffle/draw. I also agree with they should be able to hunt while the animals are “damaging” their property. “X” amount of tags and 365 days to use them. Hunting public lands on a private tag seems wrong.

I think landowners should have to use the tags themselves and not make money off state wildlife... I also feel like they should only receive antlerless tags, they are in regulars to grazing damages and a cow elk/ doe deer eat just as much as animals with horns.... and yes I do receive landowner tags... so don’t attack and say I’m a jealous hunter.... rights right and wrong is wrong!!!

Tough question. Some private land supports a lot of wildlife, other, not much.
If landowners ever grow tired of big game animals on their land and build high fences as a result, how much habitat could be lost? They do play a pretty important role when it comes to wildlife.
I have mixed opinions on the question at hand, but I do believe efforts need to be made to keep private landowners pleased. At the same time, I know of landowners who get many vouchers in CO without much land.

Tough question. Some private land supports a lot of wildlife, other, not much.
If landowners ever grow tired of big game animals on their land and build high fences as a result, how much habitat could be lost? They do play a pretty important role when it comes to wildlife.
I have mixed opinions on the question at hand, but I do believe efforts need to be made to keep private landowners pleased. At the same time, I know of landowners who get many vouchers in CO without much land.
[/QUOT

This is spot on. Most unit herd objectives are dependent on the winter range carrying capacity. Where is a large majority of private property? Winter range! So game agencies have to cooperate with landowners. They feed the publics wildlife through some of the most crucial months of the year. Are they obligated to do this? I think hunters would hate to see the results of uncompensated landowners. I think landowners tags are best case.

I think landowners should have to use the tags themselves and not make money off state wildlife... I also feel like they should only receive antlerless tags, they are in regulars to grazing damages and a cow elk/ doe deer eat just as much as animals with horns.... and yes I do receive landowner tags... so don’t attack and say I’m a jealous hunter.... rights right and wrong is wrong!!!
Very well written and I would never attack landowner’s. I’ve had a few allow me to hunt their places and a few not. I like your point of view and I agree with it. I will say that if a landowner feels he/she needs tags because wildlife are damaging their place and are not allowing others to hunt it then they are probably not receiving that much damage.

Yes because a lot of times those landowners get deer etc on their property in the winter/spring and not durinG the hunts.
They are still allowing those deer to utilize their property and it is there for the deer to utilize.
Also there are some areas that don’t normally get deer but in drought years they move onto that land.
I think as long as it is viable land and it is allowed to be utilized by deer At some point During the year then Landowners should be allowed to hunt unit wide.

Ok then landowner’s should use landowner tags and not be able to sell to the highest bidder or raffle/draw. I also agree with they should be able to hunt while the animals are “damaging” their property. “X” amount of tags and 365 days to use them. Hunting public lands on a private tag seems wrong.

Landowners cannot sell their landowner tags. You are referring to a Cwmu if that’s the case

It is for immediate family only.

Landowners cannot sell their landowner tags. You are referring to a Cwmu if that’s the case

As I understand it, that rule does not apply to them if they belong to a "landowner association". Then they can sell their Limited Entry landowner tags. Look at all the Paunsaugunt deer tags SFW is selling right now. They make a clear differentiation between landowner tag and conservation tag in their description.

A little research before speaking is always smart. CWMU are drawn through the yearly draw. Landowner tags are absolutely for sell...a simple google search will confirm that.

Not if they dont allow hunters on there property.

Not neccesarily:

R657-43-10. Limited Entry Permits and Season Dates.

(4) Landowners receiving vouchers may personally use the vouchers or reassign the vouchers to any legal hunter.

5) All landowners who receive vouchers must:

(a) allow hunters who redeemed a voucher from that landowner access to the landowner's private lands included within the landowner association for hunting; and

(b) allow a number of public hunters with valid permits, equivalent to the number of vouchers the landowner received that year, to access the landowner's private land for hunting during the appropriate limited entry bull elk, buck deer or buck pronghorn hunting season, except as provided in Subsection (6).

(6)(a) Landowners receiving vouchers may deny public hunters access to the landowner association's private land for hunting by receiving, through the landowner association, a variance to Subsection (5)(b) from the Wildlife Board.

General season landowner tags are not transferable to anyone of choice.

To me, Utah has the murkiest LO tag rules by far.

A little research before speaking is always smart. CWMU are drawn through the yearly draw. Landowner tags are absolutely for sell...a simple google search will confirm that.

Really...sometimes your own advice is best. Utah doesn’t work that way.

Cwmu operators get tags to sell as well as the DWR puts some out for the draw process.

Thats the incentive to allowing public on your property with cmwus is you get tags to sell or use on top of the ones in the draw. Generally the land owner gets more tags that’s what is put to the public. Roughly 2/3 goes to the landowner. They can do what they want with them.

A landowner deer tag can only be used by immediate family.

it may be different in the cause of a landowner association on a limited entry unit. I can’t speak for that.

but... general season landowner Deer tags can’t be transfered. Immediate family onlyof the landowner or lessee.

this is better than google. Here is the law.

How are there raffles for landowner tags on the Vernon? They most certainly can sell them.

That’s a limited entry unit and I am not familiar with the workings on that. They have landowner associations on that and it may be diffeeent. But I know you cannot sell general season landowner tags.

As I understand it, that rule does not apply to them if they belong to a "landowner association". Then they can sell their Limited Entry landowner tags. Look at all the Paunsaugunt deer tags SFW is selling right now. They make a clear differentiation between landowner tag and conservation tag in their description.

That may be the case for landowner associations on LE units.

But general season land owner deer tags can’t be sold.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom