Show me some Hate!

NMPaul

Well not me exactly, I only drew a barbary tag.

However, my son drew Valle Caldera Archery and it is the same time as his AZ Archery bull tag in 3A-3C. VC is the priority, and we may get the last weekend in AZ.

Would be disapointed if I did not get at least one nasty comment. :)
He also has offrange oryx in Aug, and a sorry azz deer tag in 34.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-15 AT 10:48AM (MST)[p]Kick him in the nards once from me!:D I'm kiddin, congrats Paul jr, and us! We'll get to see some great pics this fall!

...and here I was actually wasting pity on you when you posted you didn't draw anything... ;-)

Congrats Paul. I'm with chase on this. 3A/3C has some real monsters. I hunted unit 1 for years when I lived over there and those units are right across the road.

Ha! You guys don't disappoint. I will place a well aimed kick for sure.

VC is epic. If it was rifle, I would go AZ, just for the potential for monsters. But, it is archery, and seeing big bulls and killing with a bow are 2 different things in my experience. This is right in the middle of school and football, so we were only gonna have long weekends anyhow. May try to hit AZ last weekend.

The AZ tag is 3 times the tag. A big heard bull in VC is a rag horn with no cows in 3A/ 3C. I would seriously reconsider ur thinking.

>The AZ tag is 3 times
>the tag. A big heard
>bull in VC is a
>rag horn with no cows
>in 3A/ 3C. I would
>seriously reconsider ur thinking.

Aaron, it is a good problem to have. Have you been to the VC when elk are rutting? There are some very big old bulls. For sure AZ has the potential for monsters, but, after all it is an archery hunt. With limited time, I think we will go with the target rich environment.

>There you go. Congrats to Zach.
>
>Guess I won't get too twisted
>up on an AZ care
>pkg.

Thanks Bob, We will try to get to AZ for the last weekend. That kinda sucks, but, I would get lynched if I complained.

If you're doing this, the last week of the AZ hunt will be the best timing for it anyways; they seem to rut hard at the beginning of the archery hunt, go through a lull, then pick it up hard the last few days of the archery hunt; there are still some very nice bulls in the 3's.

Paul...

CONGRATS!!!
Unless he has a chance at going to a division one college on a football scholarship then a possible first round pro draft prospect, I would tell the football coach "I'm going Elk hunting" and make the most of both hunts!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Return the tag Paul. It's not worth the effort. Small bulls and extremely low success rates. Plus, the last time i hunted there, i met a jacka$$ from monstermuelys. I think he goes by NM Paul. Terrible experience.

You know Paul if you place the kick well enough and hard enough, that he can not medically hunt you could transfer to yourself out of pity that no one would be using a perfectly good tag. just saying..

Some of my friends make sense,weird as it may seem Paul.

I should watch it,Zach will beat the crap out of me one these days. What do you guys feed him?

Paul Congrats to Zack on two VERY NICE BULL TAGS. Looks like the rear door was corect. I got a cow hunt for 3d choice and everything else was RED !! O well... congrats to all that drew.
Jack

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-15 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]Hey Paul, now I like the idea of AZ allowing parents to transfer tags to their kids even less. LOL!!! Good luck on both hunts.

I can feel the rage. :) Game plan is to give the VC Hell, then catch a couple days of school and head to AZ for the last weekend.

It is the Archery thing that scares me.

awsome deal, no way can a fall be any better then hunting with your son or daughter and a good tag! Congrats and have fun! Side Note: I get to go to New Mexico this fall with my son and his tags! Nothing better!

Yeah honestly if he wasn't a kid in high school with an archery tag, I would say you are out of your mind putting VC over 3a 3c in arizona. They aren't even in the same league for top end bulls. Thats the best kick in the nards i can give you. But it is true. VC will probably be a better kid hunt for sure as with kids you aren't so trophy minded. If it were me, I wouldn't hunt a day on the VC until I had killed a giant in 3a 3c.

I used to like you Paul but not any more:)
Zach drew my 3A/3C archery tag!!!!

How many points did he have? I put in with 11 points and knew my odds were pretty slim at best.

We didn't draw any NM tags this year either. Good luck to Zach and don't hurt yourself packing out his critters!

>I used to like you Paul
>but not any more:)
>Zach drew my 3A/3C archery tag!!!!
>
>
>How many points did he have?
> I put in with
>11 points and knew my
>odds were pretty slim at
>best.
>
>We didn't draw any NM tags
>this year either. Good
>luck to Zach and don't
>hurt yourself packing out his
>critters!

Wife had 13 points. AZ has a provision you can transfer your tag to your sibling if they are a minor. She made the decision to let Zach have it.I have 14 points in AZ, so maybe I will be going to AZ soon also. Really would rather have a gun in my hand though.

Oh My goodness! What an awesome dilemma to have. For what its worth (and yes I have hunted both the VC during the rut and 3A-C archery rut) hands down 3A-C!! the quality of the bulls is amazing as well as the numbers. Look at it this way 3A-C is very similar to the numbers of bulls on the VC but they will all be 310-370 class with an occasional whopper! I guided in 3C last year and in 14 days of hunting called in 57 mature bulls within bow range. and 3C is super easy semi-flat country.
Whatever you decide to do post plenty of pictures and enjoy every second with your son on two great hunts!

3A-C would get my nod also. Still can hunt on the weekends.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Oh My goodness! What an awesome
>dilemma to have. For what
>its worth (and yes I
>have hunted both the VC
>during the rut and 3A-C
>archery rut) hands down 3A-C!!
>the quality of the bulls
>is amazing as well as
>the numbers. Look at it
>this way 3A-C is very
>similar to the numbers of
>bulls on the VC but
>they will all be 310-370
>class with an occasional whopper!
>I guided in 3C last
>year and in 14 days
>of hunting called in 57
>mature bulls within bow range.
>and 3C is super easy
>semi-flat country.
> Whatever you decide to do
>post plenty of pictures and
>enjoy every second with your
>son on two great hunts!
>

Now you got me second guessing myself. We still would have the 2nd weekend of the 3A-3C hunt. Hard to make archery happen in a few days though.

Which would you rather hunt... Gila 16B (2nd archery) or Valles Caldera (2nd archery)?

Also has anyone hunted Valles Caldera 1st archery (Sept. 2-8) and if so how was it?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom