sidearms and archery hunting

sidepass

Last year while hunting unit 2, 2nd archery Elk we had contact with a game warden.He suggested we carry a sidearm while hunting because of bears and cats. In one valley there was evidence of a large cat feeding on an elk carcass and one of our party heard a cat on his way out ot the same valley after dark. What is your opinion? and or recommendations. I hadn't thought about it much but do think a bow is not a very good defensive weapon.We will be hunting unit 15 2nd archery this year. A

Thanks Sidepass

Not me. I am carrying to much fat around this year to be adding any extra weight.
Rarely carry any weapons when checking my game cams, scouting, shed hunting or archery hunting. Regretted it last week when I saw a coyote and a pig, but, otherwise not to worried about cats or bears.
Been watching some UFC so I got a few moves to try on them.

I DEFINATELY packed heat when I archery hunted south of Tucson! With everything going on over there, you'd be a fool not to. Up until a few years ago, it was against the law and you had to tell the warden that your pistol was for "snakes n such", and hope he was sympathetic. Pathetic we have to go to these lengths in our own country.

I always carry a sidearm when hunting south of Tucson as well. I see a lot of illegals down there but have never had a problem with any. The stories are enough for me to keep carrying.
I have never carried a pistol when elk hunting until last year. On the fourth day of my colorado archery hunt I had a close encounter with a cat. I packed in 4 or 5 miles before daylight to a rockpile overlooking a big meadow. After the sun came up i made a few cow calls to see if i could locate a bull in the bottom. A few minutes later, i just happened to turn around and there was a cat coming straight towards me. He stopped at 40 yards and wasn't scared at all. I made many attempts to scare him off and none of them worked........I carried a pistol the last few days of that hunt!

I carry a gun EVERYDAY I leave my front door.

You're no safer in the Gila than in downtown Albuquerque...just different monsters.

Please carry a gun!

Sidepass,everyone in Catron co. carries,even the gals. That's why hardly any crime. But there are cats,bear and wolves. I carry my 9mm. See you when you get here,good luck and good hunting!

I had a bear keep walking circles around me in the brush last year as I was skinning the bear I harvested. Never saw him, but I would holler every few minutes and he would walk away. Of course, he kept coming back and continued circling me.

Took me an hour to get the bear skinned, but I must say it was pretty nerve racking in the meantime. I did have my sidearm with me, I just didn't know if I would have the reaction time necessary to make a difference if he choose to charge.

I used to laugh at people who carried, still do at some.

then, four years ago, was coming out in the dark, after a successful elk hunt. were fortunate to be horseback, and as such just quartered the bull and hung him, to pickup the next AM. Half way back out, my horse locked up and started shaking. Fliping on the head lamp, there were two sets of eyes staring back. The horse, the guy I was with ran. Preadators have an acute chase instinct, and they sure covered the ground fast (.10 sec). All I could do was 'milk lizzie' and yell. That danged long tailed cat was UNDER my horse!
God showed us a lot of favor that night! Someone, should have got hurt!

Picked up a .44M after that.

two years ago, shot an elk opening day first archery. went back for the other three quarters with my brother and a friend. at the bottom of the ridge it was on, we stoped and I pulled that .44 out of my pack and straped it on. They kinda chuckled at me. Walking in to the carcas area making noise, the bagged quarters were still hanging off to the side where I left them, but- the carcas had been moved about 15 yards! No one was laughing then, with the hair on their neck standing up!

Bears are so strong!

So, in my opinion there is a time to carry, and a time not so much. Hands down, the best thing to carry is a smart weapon between your ears!!! Even if you carry, when it gets crazy, its faster than you can believe. How proficient are you, with a side arm?

Going to try for bear for the first time this year, with my bow. Yes, I will have heat! .44 mag heat. I think there is a significant difference between 900ft/lbs. and 400ft/lbs.

I lost a elk to bears a couple years back,I had hang the quarters in a tree and they chewed the rope where I had pulled them up with my bloody hands, the meat was really jacked up could still smell them so I think they was still pretty close by and I didn't have anything but a knife on me. Hell yes I will be packing a gun for packing of meat out from now on. I used to laugh at my buddy for carrying not anymore.

Game warden told us to pack a firearm because of the 2 legged predators up there too.Having heard of Archery hunters having a gun pulled on them just from walking up a fresh kill made by a woodcutter who didn't have a tag. i have seen gutpiles in places that the wood cutter had been cutting wood at so I don't believe those stories.
It could be a nasty thing if he was a felon and didn't care to leave a witness.
But I always pick up my campwood in those spots too. I pick up the left overs rounds and such.

That couple of pounds gun just gets the mind a break.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Carry it every year and if after 20 years I finally need it. Well, wisdom is justified of herself.

I pack heat almost always, hunting or wal-mart it does not matter. Me wife and others say i am paranoid, and I am not being paranoid, but simply prepared to defend myself when the need arises, whether the attacker is an animal or a human. I even carry a pistol while rifle hunting.

i carry my glock 17 everywhere! the reason i carry this weapon is: its light (a lot lighter than a 357mag or 44mag), it holds 17 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber (18 rounds), its fast, and there are no stupid safety. you react and shoot, thats it.

oh and glock is proven!

Sidepass,

I hunt the Gila quite a bit, and always have my pistol with me. Have had a few encounters with the local wildlife, and although I've never been forced to use it, it gives a little piece of mind...just in case. Chances are slim that I'll ever actually be put in a situation to use it, but I'd rather have it and be irritated and the extra weight rather than wishing I had if a lion/bear/wolf or thief thinks my time is up!

Good luck on your hunt!

Never carried in the past until hunting elk in 34 a few years back with muzzleloader. Was walking out in the dark and heard rocks falling down the slope above me. couldnt figure out what it was, until I got to the truck and heard the cat growl. Never saw that cat but drove down the road about five minutes and another cat ran in front of the truck from the other side of the canyon. I had never seen a cat in my life and then ran into two in about ten minutes. Wasnt sure what to do if attacked because would probably miss with the one and only shot from the muzzleloader. Since then I carry my taurus 24/7 or the judge. Have never had to use the pistols but is nice to know that I have something there that will go bang with every pull of the trigger.

Alway's packing, got into camp late one night at Mt.Taylor only to find some uninvited guest's going through my things, let's just say they left in a hurry.

I do a lot of hiking and meat packing in the dark and packing a sidearm just makes sense to me. Had a big lion walk under me while in a tree stand a couple years ago and it did not make (to my ears) an audible sound. I'm not so worried about an oncoming charge as much I am about getting jumped from behind and pinned to the ground. Consequently, it makes sense to have something that I could get off my hip and pointed into the body of the beast on my back. A 3-inch chambered Taurus Judge is my choice. Hopefully I never have to use it, but if getting in better shape from packing the extra weight is the worst thing that ever happens to me, then it's still a win/win...

Thanks for the responses, a big help. Wife helped fit my holster tonight, will work with my pack. She read the posts and said do the right thing! Good luck to all this hunting season and be safe.

sidepass

>Thanks for the responses, a big
>help. Wife helped fit my
>holster tonight, will work with
>my pack. She read the
>posts and said do the
>right thing! Good luck to
>all this hunting season and
>be safe.
>
>sidepass

yes, do the right thing and buy me the Taurus Raging Judge Magnum.

Glock Model 20 here,

never too worried about bears till i seen one the size of a VW bug. Now glad I have the 10mm.

I was bowhunting deer by myself in 34 and had a real close call with a female lion and her three kittens. Way to close! I thank God she did not pounce on me! Had another lion real close to the house in James Canyon and I now carry just for these cats. I have seen more cats in the last 3 years in this unit than the last 8 years combined. Good luck

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom