Sierra gameking 130 gr for moose

searcher

Anyone have any experience using 130 gr. sierra gameking bullets on moose? I have a 270 WSM that shoots these bullets really well but I am wondering if the 270 WSM is enough for moose. I haven't killed anything bigger than a mule deer with the 270 WSM but I am comfortable shooting out past 300 yds with it. I have both 300 win mag and 300 WSM but the 270 WSM is the best shooting rifle.

thanks.

That would be one of my last choices . I've taken several moose and I don't think they're as tough as an elk but they're a large animal that deserves more than a so so deer bullet for a humane kill.

I would use a 300 without question if it were me. but if you really want to use a .277 bullet at least move up to a 150 or 160 gr Partition or something similar.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't want to have issues with bullet selection. This might be my only chance at a moose so I want to remove all the variables that I can.

If you use your 300 there are lots of bullet choices. I get accuracy from the 180 gr Partition I'm confident with to 500 yards.

There are hunting bullets with higher BC's and more accurate than the partition but there are no hunting bullets that are more dependable on impact . which ever gun you use you might give them a try, if you like the way they shoot I guarantee you'll like what they do.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I agree with everything Togwotee said.

If your bullet placement is perfect a 150 partition would be great but if you have a big bull and your nerves are frazzled and you make a raking shot, the 270 is on the light side and cannot be expected to preform like a heavy bullet in a 30 caliber.

I'd use either of your 30 cals mags and use a stout bullet of 180 grains or more in a Partition, Barnes monolithic, Swift A-frame or the likes of those.

You're target is HUGE so anything that shoots reasonable well will be just fine even at longer-ish ranges.

They might not be hard to kill but they are big boned and have thick heavy muscles and you might have to call on your bullet to do more than the 130 GameKing will do.

My 2 cents
Zeke

I appreciate all the comments. I gathered a collection of nozler partition and trophy bonded tips in 180 grain and hope to do some shooting this weekend with my 300 Win Mag. I also ordered a box of Speer hot core.

Just for reference of how a moose can take a bullet, 140gr Barnes TTS from my 7mm Rem Mag at 80 yds. First shot was perfectly broadside and exited the off side,the second bullet was a VERY slight angle and was recovered under the hide on the far side. He didn't take another healthy step but he did take both shots like a champ.
68298image.jpg

The Trophy Bonded is also a great bullet. if what you have doesn't shoot to your satisfaction try the Hornady Interlock 180's. they may be cheap but they're a great bullet that will do the job.

I took several elk and a moose with the TSX with similar results as Deepcolor. while I didn't lose any game I got the distinct feeling I could due to zero reaction from the hits . one bull took 2 shots through the lungs at 300 yards then walked into the trees and died . until I found him I didn't even know for sure if I had hit him. I went back to the partition and will probably never leave it again.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

This is where Togwotee and I diverge!
I shot a couple deer, desert sheep and one elk with the Hornady 180 interlock and was underwhelmed. There wasn't a piece bigger than a nail head that made it through anything! Yes, it killed them all but me thinks they're on the "Berger" side of fragility.
While his experience is just fine, and I doubt him not, I also know what I know. Paper-yes, critters-no!
Zeke

....in a 300 Win mag and nothing was all that close to the muzzle.
Like I've said, I err on the side of penetration especially for moose. One with a 180 30 cal partition, one with 210 Partition in .338, one with a 180 CT Failsafe 30 cal and the last one with my bow at 13 yards!
Zeke

Interlock spire point or SST ? I've never seen an Interlock fail at any range. not to say it couldn't but I've seen dozens and dozens of perfect performances.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Not SST. Never used them.

Hey, it's just my take on them and you have way more experience with them than me. I'm not trying to discredit a bullet that you obviously like but they're not for me on heavy game. There are just too many other that work better for me.

I also used some of the early 30 cal (300 Win) Ballistic tips and my brother and I prepared fine, accurate loads and use them when we hunted Mongolia. Those things were bombs! We killed 10 animals and every animal looked like it was shot with a load of birdshot.....that's if anything made it deep enough to exit. I could go on and on but it's only my experience.

The .277 130 BT works great on deer but I can't bring myself to use BT today in a 30 Caliber although some say they're tougher today. Just too many other fine choices.

Again, these are MY experiences and others can use them but I will not.
Zeke

I have had good experiences with the Interlock but I agree there are better large game bullets.

Living just 40 miles from the Nosler plant and having relatives who work there I spent a lot of time playing with the Ballistic tip since before they were released to the public. you're right the early ones were grenades. in my opinion today they're great bullets IF you use heavy for caliber bullets on deer size game. I know guys who use them on elk and swear by them but it's not something I would do .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

If you want to use your 270wsm I would load some 140 accubonds, 150 partitions or 130ttsx. Any of those should do well.
Zeke- The early ballistic tips were fragile and have been totally redesigned. They are a great bullet especially on deer and other medium sized game.

I like ballistic tips over accubonds personally. Lots of good bullets now days. I shoot "target" bullets at everything more and more, but the TTSX/MRX/LRX and TBBC are some old time favorites.

Moose ain't hard to kill. Just takes them awhile to realize they're dead sometimes. One in the boiler followed up with one in the hump is good policy on them.

Reddog, what are you doing with the hump? Ha

Ballistic tips have been one of my favorites in calibers smaller than 30....for deer-size critters. I even used the 280AI with 150 BT on sheep last year and my son did also in a 7mm mag for desert sheep. .277's have been a favorite on deer since their inception but OH, THOSE 30's were NASTY-BAD. I've heard the 30's are much better nowadays and I might try them some day if I can't get one of my favorites to shoot. I'm glad to hear some of you are using them with good results.

Zeke

Ihave taken two moose with Hornady Interlock 180 from my 30 06.Did just what they were intended to do, I do like thee 30 cals for large game.

thanks for all the comments. This info really helps a lot. I was able to shoot some ELD-X 200 gr Hornady factory ammo last weekend and was not impressed with the accuracy from my rifle. Plan to shoot some other brands later this week. I do not reload but may have access to a friend of a friend of a friend who is claiming great accuracy from the ELD-X out of a custom rifle. My 300 Win Mag is a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless. Thanks again and good luck hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom