Sierra Gameking BTSPs

wallhanger

Hey fellas. Just wanted to get your thoughts on these bullets for use on Mule Deer. Specifically, I'll be shooting the 130 grainers out of a .270 Winchester. I've tried a lot of factory ammo, but these just shoot really straight. So how do they perform on game?

Thanks,

WH

I don't shoot Sierras, but I know A LOT of guys who do and love them. For instance, ask Jay Gates what his favorite bullet is, he'll tell you Sierra Game Kings (at least he used to).

Venado muy grande!

I load the 117gr Gamekings in my 257 weatherby mag and have been very happy with the results. accurate and do the job well.

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

I have been shooting them in my 6.5 swede for the same reason tryed them on whitetails 2 shots 2 clean kills never retrived the slugs but nice size exits one was at about 120 yds the other around 350 with rangefinder so they work fine at low velocity to so good luck Pete

WH,

I use the 165's out of my '06, and they've performed very well on deer. I haven't ever used them on elk, but I've heard there's concern about them breaking apart on something that heavy (due to their rapid expansion characteristics). Since I've started using them, I've taken 2 bucks, and both were 1 shot kills behind the shoulder. They expand well, and fly straight too. Just my $.02

Noel

For your intended use, mule deer hunting, you'd be hard pressed to find a better all around bullet for the .270 Winchester cartridge. The Sierra 130 gr BTSP in .270 caliber should group well out of your rifle (I've NEVER see a .270 Win caliber rifle that wouldn't shoot this bullet well) and will be plenty lethal on any muley you strike in the viatls. Federal has had a Premium loading utilizing this bullet for years and it's a solid performer.
If you're looking for a "stronger" bullet, you might try the .140 Fail Safe, .130 Nosler Partition, and the Speer Grand Slam. These are all outstanding bullets; however, I haven't found them to group as tightly as the Sierra bullet. For what it's worth. The smallest groups I've shot out of my most used .270 Winchester have been with the 140 gr Hornady Inter-Lock and the .140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Thanks, guys. They shoot great out of my rifle, too. I just wanted to make sure they performed as well on deer as they do on paper.

WH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom