Sighting Broadheads & Fieldpoints

nocal

I've read many a different frustration on this issue. Maybe this will help some.

All summer long we sight our bows with field points and fine tune the bow. It seems common that we all try to reset our pins for the broadheads or try to tune the bow & equipment (with great difficulty) so broadheads and fieldpoints have the some impact points. A problem though is (fixed blade) broadheads will have more air resistance than filed points, thus slowing the arrow flight and having a lower impact.

What I do is focus on the field points pin sight ranges for, say 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70 yards. I don't reset my pins....I just rethink (and use a different tape on my pins) for say 20, 30, 38, 46, 55 & 62 yards. I'M NOT SAYING I'LL SHOOT AN ANIMAL AT 62 YARDS! Most of us use range finders, and this simply gives us a different range for the pins.

Its not that confusing. Its not how much you practice, its how much focused you are as you practice.

Good luck all and be careful,

nocal

Why not just tune your bow? With the compact aerodynamic heads out there these days tuning a bow to shoot broadheads is so easy even a caveman can do it.

You are right.But its alot easier to focus if you dont have to think about a bunch of other crap aside from just knowing your yardage and shooting.Different broadheads fly different.The way you torque your bow for instance.I shoot my bow with my broadheads just fine. My buddy can shoot my bow and my broadhead and it shoots different,and yes he is good shot with his own bow so its not that.everything is different for everyone.if you cant tune them ask for some demo heads at the bow shop and try some different heads.Thats what broke me of the same thing.

Sounds to me like you might want to just buy another sight and set your pins for broadheads and then your other one for field points.

With the new Broad head designs that are out now, It is possible to tune your bow to shoot a field point and a broad head of the same weight to hit the same exact spot. It will take paper tuning and fine tune adjustment but can be done. I constantly tune and practice with broad heads at Double Distance Yardage (shooting at least twice the yardage that I plan to hunt at). I can hit the same (or so close you cut vanes) at 100 yards with both field tips and broad heads. I have also spent hours on end tuning and helping my hunting partners do the same. Once you figure out how to do it it gets easier. I've been bowhunting since I was 12 and that was 29 years ago. So keep working on it and you will also get there. I agree that the broad head has more wind resistance but with the new shorter ones that resistance is so minimal that at any hunting yardage you will use the same sight pins.

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

I've shot some compact heads that don't have the variation my Muzzy 100's do. I like the more sloped cutting edge of the longer broadheads. I keep my bow zeroed for the Muzzy's and the field tips are 6" left at 60 so I just live with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom