Sighting in Questions.

Fire_Hawk

So....I spent a few nights getting my new sight ready to shoot in the "Icebreaker" tournament in Provo Canyon. I was perfectly on in the backyard at 20, 30 and 40 yards. I then went up in the foothills above Centerville and zeroed my 50 and 60 yard pins on Friday evening. There was some wind, but I felt it was really close.

Well... I arrived at the Timpanogas Archery range yesterday morning. I decided I would check my sights at their marked ranges. I found I was hitting really low at 20, 30, and 40 yards. 50 and 60 seemed really close just as they had the night before. I thought maybe I had accidently moved the entire sight without realizing it and so I reset the sight and moved the 50 and 60 pins accordingly. All was well and I shot decently in the tournament.

This afternoon, back at home in Bountiful, I shot in the backyard again. I am hitting about 3" high at 20 yards and 4" or so high at 30 yards and about the same at 40 yards.

My question is... Does altitude change point of impact that much? I could even understand that at extreme altitude changes, but there can't be more than 1000 feet difference between my house and their range.

Any ideas what might cause this? Seems really odd to me. Thanks for the help!

Firehawk

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-09 AT 10:22AM (MST)[p]Something is moving around on you. First tighten everything and sight back in. Then mark everthing, shoot some more and see if anything has moved.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-09 AT 06:25PM (MST)[p]Peep is "served" into place and all the sight screws etc are tight. The thing wierd was that the thing was "right" on in the backyard 20 and 30 yard ranges. I can go to 38 yards in the backyard and my 40 yard pin hit just a "touch" high which should be expected at 38 yards. I then drove up to the hills so I could shoot further. I then adjusted the pins for the 50 and 60 yards to hit where they were supposed to. I didn't touch the 20,30,40 yard pins, or the entire sight while sighting in the 50 and 60 yard pins.

When I arrived at the tourney, I used their ranges as set up, to check the sights. This is when I found the pins all low, except the 50 and 60 yard pins which hit where they were supposed to. I figured that maybe I had screwed up and moved the sight somehow. I fixed it again and we were in business for the shoot. I didn't verify their ranges with the rangefinder, I trusted their marked yardages. I have verified with the Leica in my backyard and in the hills for the 50 and 60 last week. If their ranges are off, there will be a lot of people in the same boat, as many were verifying with me.

Sunday, I checked in the backyard again, and that is when it was shooting high. Really wierd, but everything seems tight to me.

FH

Looking through a peep sight at different levels will cause this, always try to put every pin in the center of the peep. I recommend a kisser button to help line up with the peep. I was always against a kisser button but once I tried it I am hook especially for 3D tournaments.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-09 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]I agree with what everyone has said above....It's most likely an Anchor or Peep issue. Try serving in the Peep if you haven't already done so and if you're using a new string, give a few good days of shooting to settle the peep. Hand torque or new accessories could also be the culprit. Additionally, if you are primarily shooting/sighting in on flat ground, your Point of Impact may be different than that during incline/decline shooting at the same yardages...Just a thought.

I did find an earlier post that posed a similar question though about altitude/heat.

Here is the link:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID23/2191.html

~Erock

I wonder if during the course of shooting the tourney etc., if I didn't just quit using my "anchor points" like normal. I have tried to "engrain" this into my mind for the last year while shooting that I thought I was there. I honestly don't remember really checking though.

At home, I always touch the end of my nose on the string when at full draw. This has worked out to be a good anchor point. I suppose quite similar to a "kisser botton".

I don't remember having this problem last fall at elevation either. That said, I have a new string and cables, and a new sight. I had shot probably a hundred plus shots with the new string and sight without any problems in the backyard. This was my first 3-D with the new string and sight.

FH

Shoot it again tomorrow without doing anything today and see what happens. 9 times outta 10 its all the shooter not doing the same exact thing everyday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom