silk tripods

davis5

looking into buying a silk tripod. Most people seem to speak pretty highly of them. The two models that I'm looking at are 713, 613, with pistol head. Just wanted to see if they are worth the money. I will be using them on my 15's and spotter.
thanks for your .2$
davis

I have a 613 that I really like. It is light and packs NICELY. The downfall is it isn't as stable in a wind with the legs extended. With my angled eyepiece I can keep it short and below me where the wind doesn't effect it.

Depending on how much your bino's, spotter and pistol grip weight you may want the 713. My 613 is plenty for my 65mm scope and miniball head though

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

I recommend three tripods. The Manfrotto Bogen 190XV, the Outdoorsmans Medium and the Slik 613CF. The Slik is the lightest of the bunch and as out4elk said, it suffers accordingly in the wind. Also, I am still not crazy about the twist adjustments and the leg ends are hard not soft.

I would say go with the Slik if you are really going light on an extended backpack hunt and just try to glass from protected spots or with your back into the wind. I still prefer the Outdoorsmans model when I am packing in though and the Manfrotto for everything else from working out of the truck or Ranger to day walking hunts.

The Outdoorsmans Pan Head works well with all of them and has become my favorite head. I use it with their bino stud tripod adaptors with all of my optics. It is a great system that is solid and allows quick change outs.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Wade,

Have you tried the Outdoorsman pistol grip? And if so your thoughts.

Thanks.

Yes, Sir, I have and I like it. I had the big Manfrotto pistol grip first then moved to the Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip which was a big improvment in weight, size and ease of use. The issue was that I could not nose bump the glasses from one side to the other. The Outdoorsmans makes a little pan attachment for it and that worked pretty well but it made the whole set up a little taller and heavier.

Then I tried the Outdoorsmans Pan Head and I was done looking. I think it is as good as you can get. Smooth, easily adjustable and has the right amount of natural resistance. I am very happy with it on my Outdoorsmans Medium Tripod and my Manfrotto 190XV. I still use the Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip head on my Slik 613CF for a super light set up.

All of their stuff is very good. Requires a little upkeep in terms of cleaning but it is precision equipment. And Terry and Tom there are great guys, top notch customer service.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I use the Outdoorsmans Medium tripod with the Bogen/Manfrotto 484RC2 mini ball head. I have quick dis-connects for my Swaro 15's, range finder, spotter, and even a quick disconnect gun rest.I LOVE MY SETUP!!! The ball head gives you the same features of the fluid head and pistol grip. Just loosen slightly to pan, or tighten for fixed glassing. I went with the Outdoorsmans tripod mainly because of three things: stability, ease and speed of extending the legs, and warranty. I use my setup as a mobile shooting tripod as well. I took my antelope and whitetail this past year shooting right off the top of my Swaro 15's on this system.
Good luck on your decision.

Bingo's set-up is top notch as well in my book. I have the bogen 484RC and use it exactly the same way on my Slik 613. I also think the Outdoorsmans Medium is a solid tripod and I love the way the legs lock over the Slik.

I was after a quality tripod that will last and was LIGHT and the SLIK fit that bill for me. Even though I am not a huge fan of the twist lock legs I can live with them. If they were twist lock like the Pole Cat bipods that would be the ticket there.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

My brother uses that Manfrotto head with his big Zeiss and he likes it. I certainly don't have anything bad to say about it. I just prefer the Outdoorsmans Pan head.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have the 613 and have loved it. That saying this past fall one of the screws came out of the legs and I can't seem to find one to fit. Also another leg has come unglued at the top and spins when I twist a leg to extend.
Does anyone have any contact info for them? I have searched and found nothing. I doubt I am still in warranty, had it for 3 years, but would like to have it fixed

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom