Sitka Gear Celsius Jacket

88man

How warm is this jacket?? With a good under layer will it be good down in the teens with some wind?? I tried one on this weekend and it seemed very thin and small for the size. Is it recommended for late season western hunting when it could get down below zero?? Also which pant is prefered? The ascent or the 90%. What is basically the difference. Which pant would be better for the above mentioned hunting also?

You need to read past posts and see all of the other discussions on Sitka... That subject has been beat to death. Some love it. Some hate it.

Mike Henne

I did read the one post that had a 100 or so replies. But it didn't answer my two questions in this post. They came from that thread. I am considering the celscius jacket and either the 90% or ascent pant. To be honest I found the mentioned post of value but not the detail from experience I was looking for. The celsius jacket seems really thin to provide good insulation in late season hunting. Just need to know if it does keep you warm and protected on late season hunts. And the whys on which pant. I have no loyalty to any gear manufacturer. JUST NOSLER BULLETS and FORD TRUCKS.

To answer your question without looking through all the bull from the other posts......the celsius is very warm, almost too warm for me but I'm the type that would rather be really cold than a little bit hot. I use the 90% jacket with good layers underneath and that takes me into the teens just fine and I can always peal thinner layers and leave the jacket on. I'd hate to peel the celsius jacket and have to try to find somewhere in my pack to put it. But I can't stand carrying too much on my back so that's just my .02.

Are you sitting still in a stand or on the move? Sitting still I have a hard thinking the Celsius would be adequate. On the move I think it would be fine. I have the 90% and it works well down to below freezing with a layer or two under it on the move. Once I stop for a while I freeze.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-08 AT 11:34PM (MST)[p]I just bought a celsius jacket and love it. It's form fitting and hugs your body. It's really quiet and very comfortable. I wore it opening weekend of Oregon's archery season last weekend. It was down in the 30's and all I had on the first day was one long sleeved cotton shirt. The wind was blowing hard and it was chilly. I couldn't feel it through the coat, it stopped the wind dead in it's tracks. The next day was colder, I wore a thermal with a hooded sweatshirt underneath the jacket. It spat snow at me and I was comfortable. Make sure you try one on before you buy cause they run small. I wear mediums in everything and I needed to get a large. It is a light weight thin jacket but it is warmer than it looks and feels. Oh and there's a dealer out of New Mexico that will sell you one for $270 with free shipping.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-08 AT 10:13AM (MST)[p]It only seems light and thin because us hunters are so used to bulky and thick jackets made by most hunting clothes manufacturers. Sitka is different, it's based on mountaineering designs. Have you ever seen a high quality soft shell jacket from a company like North Face, Mtn Hardware, Arcteryx, etc? They are very similar to the Sitka jackets. Rather than big bulky insulation they instead use higly efficient insulation and a layering principle. Sitka uses body mapping to determine where your body loses heat and really needs insulation and where it does not. It is elimated in places where we don't need insulation and that reduces bulk. It also uses Polartec fleece which is very efficient and retains much more heat with less fabric than other types of insulation. It feels thin and fits trim because it is supposed to be. That way you can move about and it moves with you. You can draw your bow or shoot your rifle without interference. You will be able to hike easier and will have more range of motion. The 4 way stretch fabric is awesome. You won't feel like the Michellin Man like you do with some bulky hunting jackets.

To answer your question, yes I think it will be warm enough. Partner the Celcius jacket with a good base layer, the Celcius vest, Traverse Shirt, or a good sweater, and you will be plenty warm enough.

You will want at least the 90% pants for what you are describing. The Celcius bibs would be an even better choice for real cold. The Traverse pants are good for early season, they are not designed to be warm. The 90% pant is the next step up in warmth and the Celcius bib is the ultimate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom