Sitka Gear Differences

Fire_Hawk

I need some help. What is the difference between Sitka's Summit T shirt and the Traverse shirts? Is one heavier than the other? Are they essentially the same other than year of manufacture? Trying to decide between the two as I have an opportunity to purchase either or both.

Thanks!

FH

the summit is designed to wick away sweat and is a base layer. the traverse is heavier so it insulates better and can be worn over the summit or as a base layer on cooler days.

Thank you for the help. So the Summit was replaced by the "Core" shirt? I have one of them and think it is light. Is the summit the same "light" material, or will it insulate a little better?

FH

yes the core replaced the summit. imo the summit seems a little heavier than the core series. same as the mountain pant seemed a little heavier than the ascent pant. The older celsius vest was warmer than the new celsuis vest too, imo the new celsius vest is a waste of money. I know the traverse is heavier than the core but I don't own a set so I can compare it to the summit. I did get rid of most of my sitka stuff and all I have left is ascent pants.

Why did you get rid of all your sitka gear? Have you found something better? For me Sitka leaves a little to be desired but it is still the best I've found for the way I hunt.

Why do you say the celsius vest is a waste of money? I'm asking because I bought that vest at cabelas when they had all the Sitka gear half off but I've never worn it and it still has the tags on it. I was considering taking it back or selling it so I'm wondering what you disliked about it.

Thanks

I got rid of the 2007 stuff I had because I wanted to upgrade to the new stuff in 08. That was a big mistake, the 07 stuff is warmer than the 08. The mountain pants were tougher too, I really wish I still had them. I had the seat come apart in my ascent pants and it developed a hole in 30 days of hunting. I have an 09 pair of ascent pants and they are double stitched so that helps. Its great in the heat though.

The older celsius vest was far warmer than the new one. I froze this yr in the new vest but was comfortable the yr before in the old vest.

The new stuff is more packable but you lose the warmth if you need it. I heard of guys having to wear 3 layers of traverse for temps below 25 if they're sitting long.

The summit base layer stunk bad after you worked up a sweat and it dried. I could hardly stand myself after 2 days, seriously, I had to wash it in a creek it was so bad. The core might be ok since its a different material than the 07 stuff.

Last yr I went to First light wool base layers which worked really well and I'll stick with these. No smell and wicks good. But we did get a storm move through with a lot of wind and it cut through the ascent pants and wool like a knife and thats with 2 layers of wool. Cut through the celsius vest too. Had to throw on my heavy fleece from cabelas. I suppose I could have pulled on my raingear but I didn't because its noisy.

So right now I have some apxg2 stuff that I am going to try out soon as we get some wind. I also have some Traverse coming for comparison to the apxg2 tundra. I can say that I really like the apxg2 zephyr pants and jacket, they have double knees and a double seat and the stitching is top notch on all of it. Very well built compared to sitka. The alpine stuff will be premo in the heat, it really feels cool on the skin.

I have a feeling I am going to end up with a bunch of mixed stuff to get it exactly right. Part of the issue is fit because some of these clothes have design problems imo. But no big deal to me, throw an asat 3d suit over the top and disappear.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-09 AT 03:53PM (MST)[p]I think the Celcius vest and the Traverse pants are the 2 BEST pieces of Sitka gear. I also much prefer the 08 and 09 Traverse Pants to the 07 Mountain pants. More stretch, tighter weave, dry quicker, etc.

I just purchase the older style of sitka celcius vest, the moutain mimicry, at a great discount. Sportsmans warehouse had it on sale for $62.00, I guess to make room for their newer stock. I tried to get it from cabelas for $75.00, their 50% off sale but they were out of stock before I even knew of the sale. this is my first purchase of sitka gear and right away I am impressed with the stretchability of it, and feeling lucky at the price I got. They also had some older pants and jackets there but I really only wanted the vest. I have read some neg posts about the older stuff, vest excluded, being not as good as the newer stuff. Is it in my best interest to get the older pant and jacket at the discounted price or purchase the newer version? happy hunting.
-sig

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-10
>AT 09:43?PM (MST)

>
>3blade (edit)
>
>Interesting post, are you interested in
>my opinion on a few
>of the things you have
>said?
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

sure, I'm always open to learn new things.

I am sorry to be so picky but you wrote a couple of things that don't make sense to me and it seemed like you were blaming the Sitka gear for shortcomings I don't think they deserve based on the use described.

First, I guess I should reiterate that I am a devout layering deciple. It was the way I was trained, it is the way I train and I have seen it work over and over again when employed properly. Base, insulating layer and shell layer. In my system the base and shell are constants, the insulation layer is what comes on and off depending on conditions and what I am doing. If temps are mild and I am working hard then I may stuff the shell jacket in my pack too but it is not often. If temps are severe and I am inactive, like glassing or sleeping, then I may throw a second insulation layer on like a down or heated vest or a wool sweater. 3 layers is optimal, 4 is the absolute limit because of constriction and compression issues that degrade performance. If I felt I needed more than that then I picked the wrong pieces for those conditions in the first place.

So, when you say that you know guys that had to wear three layers of Traverse I have to wonder what they were using as an insulating layer. Sounds like they were using the Traverse as their insulator and that will only go so far because there is very little loft or dead air space which is where the real insulating happens. They would have been better off with one Traverse and a good Primaloft or down insulation jacket.

Then you mentioned that the wind cut right through your Ascent pants, wool tops and the Celcius vest and that you finally had to put on your heavy Cabelas fleece jacket. Again, too many layers for me but more importantly unless those insulation pieces also have a windstopper laminate (which makes them heavy and redundant) they are going to be vulnerable to the wind. That is the way it should be, they are insulators not shells. If the wind is an issue it should be dealt with with the layer that is designed for that purpose, the shell.

A proper shell is more than just rain gear, it is the external protective layer. It is your armour, the roof and walls that shelter the important stuff inside that is light weight and more fragile and serves a different purpose. The shell protects the base and insulation layers from wind, water and damage from the physical environment like vegitation. It also determines how the rest of the world sees us or doesn't see us as the case might be. Camo, blaze etc, etc.

Lastly, you said that the APX G2 Alpine stuff was going to be primo in the heat because it feels cool on the skin. Not sure what you meant by that.

Does that make sense?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

"Lastly, you said that the APX G2 Alpine stuff was going to be primo in the heat because it feels cool on the skin. Not sure what you meant by that."

Its cold against the skin in spite of wearing the tundra and zephyr over the top of it.

But yeah that all makes sense. Those 3 layers of traverse got me too especially since the guy is a sitka rep over on tradgang. I also do realize that the ascent pant is not a windstopper but that doesn't have anything to do with the seat ripping out after 30 days of use.

If a guys gonna hunt with a longbow, what the best shell to wear thats quiet?

Actually the Ascent pants do a pretty good job of handling a wide range of weather I thought. I have not had any trouble with mine yet and I am wearing two pair a lot. Hopefully yours was a fluke. The newer of my two pair is built a little better then the other. The belt loops are sturdier and better placed.

I agree that the sizing is a little off but they know it too and are fixing it.

Long bow shell-You can always go with a soft piece that is water resistant but not waterproof (like the 90% Jacket) and put a dedicated rain jacket over it when things get nasty but that is not my preferance. At this point you could go with the Sitka Stormfront Light which is not as robust as it should be and will be but it is light and quiet or the old tried and true Cabelas MTO50 Quiet Pack Jacket and Pants or Bibs. It is heavier and does not have pit zips but it is quiet and will keep you dry.

The third option is to wait about 9 months for the new Sitka Downpour which has a brushed polyester exterior like the MTO50. The difference is that the Sitka is a modern technical design jacket. I am really looking forward to that piece. I think it may be what we are all waiting for. There is a picture of it on my site in the Optifade Big Game Forest pattern.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

"The third option is to wait about 9 months for the new Sitka Downpour which has a brushed polyester exterior like the MTO50. The difference is that the Sitka is a modern technical design jacket. I am really looking forward to that piece. I think it may be what we are all waiting for. There is a picture of it on my site in the Optifade Big Game Forest pattern."

What do they want for it? 800 bucks?

What about the Russel L5, is it quiet?

Thanks, Wade

The L5, I am pretty sure this is what was formerly the Cyclone Jacket, is a pretty good rain jacket. The hood is a little sloppy, it does not have pit zips and the elastic cuffs are not adjustable but it is an effective barrier against wind and water and it is fairly quiet. In fact, it reminds a great deal of the original Sitka Gear Downpour Jacket which was a Hardcore Outdoor recommendation for the stealthy crowd. The First gen Downpour had pit zips, a very good hood and adjustable cuffs. It was designed for moving.

Regarding the new Downpour price, me thinks I detect a bit of sarcasm in your comment/question. I don't know what the price will be and to be blunt I don't really care, value is important to me and my readers but price is not a consideration in my evaluations or recommendations. I am looking for what I think is the very best gear available to use in the field for myself. If I like something, I will use it. If I use it I will recommend it. However, for those that do care about price, I would assume that the new Downpour Jacket will be similar to the last one which retailed for $349.

Incidentily, the original Downpour was one of the first if not the first technical shell available on the market in camo that was also reasonalbly quiet and it works very well. It was a breakthrough piece for trigger pullers and probably deserved a premium price tag but it was inline with other high end technical shells on the market that were not designed for hunters.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-10 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]Hardcore so does it have pit zips? If not its not worth 350 when other jackets on the market do? Also I want a roll up hood so I can hear when hunting not a hood that lets water pour down my neck. I am not too concerned about camo when its pouring rain more about if I can hike in it. I will continue to wear my Marmot jacket until they or Cabelas add pit zips?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

The first gen Sitka Gear Downpour had pit zips and a good hood. Based on what I saw of the new one, both carry over but I make a phone call to confirm that.

Hoods is an interesting question. Personally I think they are a pain to deal with unless the weather is such that you need it especially when wearing a pack. Carhart and Rivers West have offer jackets with snap off hoods and they are very effective. I am surprised we don't see more of them on high end technical jackets. The jacket I spec'd out for Wild Things had a snap off or velcro attached hood but it did not make it on the military production model. I wonder if it has something to do with the user potentially losing the hood when it is not in use. Don't know for sure.

If camo is not critical for you check my site under SHELL LAYER for the recommended list of what I think are the best jackets on the market. Arcteryx and TAD gear both make a couple of outstanding models in non-camo stealthy colors.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom