Sitka Gear Warranty???

nmmuley

Anybody else notice how drastically Sitka Gear has changed their product warranty? They claim they stand behind every product they make, but they have done away with their 100% unconditional warranty (return for full refund or replacement if unsatisfied or product fails for whatever reason). Now once you wear the clothing, all damage or issues will be replaced at a reasonable cost. As someone who returned two pairs of Ascent pants last year due to quality issues (stitching was unraveling and allowing wind & moisture in), I would be very skeptical of purchasing anything from Sitka under this new warranty.

LAST EDITED ON May-14-09 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]This is what the warranty says on the website.

We stand behind every product we make. If you are unhappy with any of our products at the time you receive it, feel free to send them back. Damage due to wear and tear will be replaced at a reasonable cost. Please call or email Sitka HQ for further information.
? 2009 Sitka

Sounds reasonable to me. The way I read that it would seem problems and defects (like you experienced) will still be fixed. Repairing/replacing due to normal normal wear and tear for a reasonable cost is fair IMO. There is nothing wrong with the item, you have just used it.

When the tires wear out on your truck have you found someone who will replace them for free?

I bought a pair of the Ascent Pants, had an issue with the stitching in the seat unraveling, chatted with them about it and they said send them back, did and the pants were replaced. Done deal, I've got a bunch of their stuff and love it.

Big Pig,

Yeah, problems will still be fixed "at a reasonable cost". If there is a problem when "you receive it", they will send you a replacement. The way this new warranty is written introduces their discretion into determining what is wear/tear vs. workmanship defects. Under this policy, would Sitka intrepret the stitching problem after 6 months of use as wear/tear or a quality issue? I have a call into Sitka to get their take. I dont see why they would have changed their warranty from what it has always been??

Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of Sitka gear and I think it works pretty well in the field. Under the old warranty, I felt fine paying the premium associated with their products knowing that if any problems happened they would be taken care of free of charge. Obviously, if you read the new warranty, this isnt the case anymore.

I just sent back a pair of Nimbus pants that the zipper on the bottom of the leg was broken and unraveling. They repaired it and I had them back in one week with a brand new zipper and no charge to me. Great customer service if you ask me!

I broke the sleeze zipper on a mountain shirt this spring and they said they couldn't repair it, but offered me a new shirt at no cost. I kept the old one only because I don't like the sleeves with the thumb hole thing on the new shirts. Plus, I virtually never use the sleeve pocket.

I guess I didn't read it that way at all. "Problems" will be covered. Stitching unravelling is a problem, not wear and tear IMO. There is a difference between a problem or defect and wear and tear. Semantics, I guess. I still think that in reality, Sitka will make it right. I'd buy with confidence.

2 months ago my 90% jacket was replaced at no charge. The plastic velcro piece on the the sleeve stuck to the back of me seat in my truck. I grabbed the jacket a ripped it off. I called them for a new platic velcro piece and they said send it to them and we will replaced it no charge. Reasonable price??? great price and service.

Wade,

Sitka was great to deal with on those two returns. On the second return, I noticed their warranty had changed for the 2009 season. Under the terms of their new warranty, I called Rainy Pass Repair (group now handling all sitka warranty claims) and explained how my pants had split next to a seam. Rainy Pass explained to me that this repair wouldnt be covered under the warranty and it would cost me $60-70 for the repair plus approx $20 for shipping/return shipping. They classified the nature of the tear as normal wear and tear, which was odd considering it was only my second time to wear the pants. I then called Sitka and explained the situation and they agreed to replace the pants free of charge, honoring the unconditional warranty that came with the product at the time of purchase.

I just received my new optifade 90% pants and jetstream vest, both garments look very nice and I am pleased. However, I do think that those buying Sitka should be aware that their warranty policy has changed and it appears that this Rainy Pass Repair isnt going to be cheap to deal with should you have any issues.

They worked with me on first pair that was leaking They took care of me. Now the new set they outer layer leaks water when i tested it in the shower ive been getting the run around. I then went to rivers west on the outerwear portion for the 10 year unbreakable warrenty all you need is recipt put knife through jacket yote hunting all i had to do is pay for shipping there. to products I use wish they had a good base layer like Sitka though

powell,
What do you mean you get the run around? What is the garment that leaks? Your post is kinda vauge. If it's rain gear, it shouldn't leak, period. If it does, send it back. They will repair or replace it.

IT leaked from the rain. and when you lay or sit on the wet ground. it was still seeping through. The custumer service rep was either new or didnt know bull on how to get the garment shiped back, to get it replaced or fixed.

also it was the cold front pants. Love the fit just was seeping in when on the ground or pit hunting birds. I have not used the ones they shiped back yet because im trying to ruin the rivers west pants right now out. They are not as comfort as the sitka though but have not leaked.

What do you mean seeping through? Where on the pants? The Stormfront Pants are made of Gore-Tex Performance shell which is waterproof.

I am not sure that it is fair to compare the Stormfront Pants to Rivers West Pants. The RW stuff is heavier and does not breathe at all. It is great stuff for no or low physical activity but it doesn't work at all when you are working hard enough to break a sweat.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

That is true it does not breath and i was doing low activity it was seeping in at the knees. I was kneeling in a mud hole for extended periods. As of hiking I still use the sitka

You are right I should have not compare the two garments. But i have had to deal with issues on both of the warranty issues. Im still trying to find the perfect item that will work with out dealing with warranty issues, and I know depending on the day anyone could have a good or bad expierence with customer sevice reps. Im not Knocking gear I still use the stuff

You were kneeling in a puddle. So your knees were bent right? If that is the case you broke the seal on the water resistant zippers that are on the side of the pant. That is not a warranty issue, it a design issue.

The Gore-Tex is waterproof and the seams are taped but the zippers are water resistant not water proof and when you bend it a certain way they will leak. If that is something you do often you need to go with a pant that doesn't have zips.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Actually, the more I look at my Stormfront Pants the more I think the seepage might just as well have been where the zipper pull was. The Sitka water resistant zippers are pretty tight, you can get them to gap by ending them but the biggest problem area is where the pull is.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

That is now were im thinking my may have leaked through also. Thanks wade

I would bet lunch on it. The only other reason would be a piece made with defective or damaged Gore-Tex. That can happen but those pants are brand new and given Gores strict standards and processes it is rare.

Zippers are a convenience but also a weak link in your armour so it is a trade off you have to consider for what you intend to do with the gear.

Hope it works out for you.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have never seen someone blab on and on as much as you do. I have been reading some past threads and you think you are the king when it comes to gear which is fine, but actually take a second to read what others write and you might not come off as such a jackass know it all.

About ten posts down he said they were the Coldfront pants. Not the stormfront pants that you keep talking about. Maybe a little reading comp might help? And I believe it says 100% waterproof on sitkas site so it doesn't matter where the water is coming in from.

You are correct, he did say Coldfront pants. However, the Gore-Tex laminate and water resistant zippers are the same in both the Stromfront and Coldfront pants. What I said about the Gore-Tex and zippers is correct.

I did not write Sitkas marketing copy, if I had I would not have used the term "100% waterproof". Anything other than purpose built dive gear/dry suits etc with zippers is going to let some water in under the right circumstances.

In their defense, these garments are designed and made to protect the user from precipitation not submersion.

Well, I am a Gear Editor and I am the Gear Moderator on this site so blabbing on about gear is kind of what I do. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. If you have your own opinion, feel free to write your own stuff.

How 'bout we keep the personal stuff out of this and just talk about gear.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom