Sixes unit

O

OregonBighorn

I was just wondering what your thoughts on the unit are? I will have seven points going into next years draw. I'm tired of chasing "premium" hunts and am ready to unload my points. I realize the hunt calls for mostly private land and that the terrain is less than desireable to some. I obviously have an ample amount of time to scout since it's a year away. Anyone hunt this unit? Quality of bulls? I reside in the western side of the state and expect to move to the Winchester Bay area soon but usually hunt eastern oregon exclusively. (For eastern Oregon natives YES I do know eastern doesn't start at the cascades) Sorry just got grilled on that lol.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

The unit is a good one, but by no means worth burning 7 points on. To each thier own I guess. The private land issue is more of a private timber company issue so don't be too discouraged about that end. There are some really good bulls in the unit, however it's hard to scout because the only open time is during rifle deer because of fire closures and they get educated to rifle shots early.

On the other hand, I know of a couple dandies that have come out of there the last few years. Like most things, it'll take some time and coordination with timber companies to find out what is open and what isn't but you can find a good bull if you spend the time. Have some backup plans though, with open clearcuts most likely several people have seen the same bulls you're after.

tc

Thanks Tailchaser, I was wondering about timber companies. I am going to head down there next week to start checking it out. I have all the maps I have found on order. Any idea on the names of the timber companies? If not I'm sure I'll find out soon enough when I'm looking at the tag on their gate. Is the area completely closed? Or pack in only? Thanks again, OB

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Menasha, Plum Creek, Moore Mill (doesn't allow elk hunting), Roseburg Lumber, Roseborro Lumber, I'm sure there's more but those are the main ones. About half of them are open to travel, a few close "certain" areas for company hunting privleges, I would just call them and ask what is and ins't open during that time.

Some of the areas might not be open due to fire danger right now if you're going to try and scout on your trip.

tc

Back
Top Bottom