Sizing die

jgriffin82

I've got 20 rounds of. 280 Remington that were reloaded by an acquaintance of mine that is missing an eye from an undisclosed shooting accident. I'm not comfortable with these reloads so I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder. I want to work up some light loads with these cases and fire form to my 280AI chamber. I really don't want to buy a .280 Remington seating die for these 20 rounds. Can I use a seating die from another cartridge to seat the bullets? Maybe my 280AI? Thanks.
Jim

I've been reloading for 52 years without a single incident. Always do it by the book. I would wither seat the bullets with the correct die or toss them. Your savings on 20 pieces of brass is not worth the risk.

>I've been reloading for 52 years
>without a single incident. Always
>do it by the book.
>I would wither seat the
>bullets with the correct die
>or toss them. Your savings
>on 20 pieces of brass
>is not worth the risk.
>

I ended up getting a set of dies off eBay for $25 last night. Seemed like a good enough price. I'll be fire forming more .280 brass in the future so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.
Jim

Well, you spent 25 bucks that didn't need to be wasted just to seat bullets in 20 cases. The 280AI seater would work just fine for 280 Rem.

I've seated hundreds (so far) of 20 practical bullets with a benchrest 223 seater die....since that's how you seat 20 practical bullets.

Sizing is a whole different animal. Get or build the right die.

I'm not advocating sloppy seating practices. It's a critical step for premium ammo and I mostly use micrometer benchrest quality dies nowadays.

Zeke

PS: I too have been loading for well over 50 years without incident.

#livelikezac

Thanks Zeke. I had a feeling the Ackley die would've worked. I should've just gave it a shot. I'll end up selling the .280 Remington dies as soon I get them in the mail and inspect them.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom