Skipped work and went coyote hunting today

cjg_beef

I decided to take the day off because my wife wanted me to take her coyote hunting. Who would turn down such an offer? Anyway, we went to an area that has been good for me in the past and set up on a good stand overlooking a large sage flat. At about 6 minutes in I spotted a coyote coming to the sweet sound of one of Brian Workman's calls and the whirling woodpecker. At about 50 yards out he started to swing downwind and got out of sight behind a small rise. I was trying to get my wife a shot but it wasn't working so I decided to stand up and try to catch the coyote before it got downwind. Well once the coyote got downwind he decided that he didn't care what we smelled like because he kept coming to my lipsqueeks (while I was standing btw) well he got to about 15 yards and I decided that was close enough because all I could see was fur in my scope. The 85 grain pill from my .243 turned the lights out quickly on this YoY. I'm thinking it was the whirling woodpecker that had him so focused that he didn't pay attention to me standing there. Here's a pic of my wonderful wife with the coyote. Only a matter of time before she gets here first.
IMG_0740.jpg

We called until Noon and decided to head home because the calling wasn't very good.

Sweet!!! Headed out for myfirst of the year in the morning.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

>Calling wasnt very good?..........still better than
>work right?
>
Much better than work. I wouldn't pass up a day with my wife in the outdoors for anything.

I am jealous Beef!! I saw six out on our wheat this morning. I have permission on about 10,000 acres total plus our land but I dont want to shoot any before the Varmint contests this Jan, Feb, and Mar. We have done alright in the past, but I sure would like to win one and bring home the 4 or 5 grand though. The hunts are 24 hr. and to win you need 5 cats and 4 coyotes. Ties are broke on weight. We have either shot 5 cats and no coyotes or killed 7 coyotes going into the night and dont find any cats. I need to find some more land and just go hunt!! Nice Job!!Calling is an extremely close second to deer hunting for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom