Skull pickup Question

Wantabee

I am kinda new at posting, I have enjoyed the pictures and info. I have picked up a few shed over the years. But I had a question about skulls, I believe in Utah it is illegal to pick them up. What about Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, or Wyoming? Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Hopfully I will have a chance to get out this spring and find some sheds.

It's legal in AZ.
Illeagal in UT

Don't know about the others.

beavis.gif

In Arizona you need to contact the AZG&FD prior to picking them up, AZGF&D will determine the cause of death. If it died from natural causes they will give it to you, if it died from a bullet, arrow, or auto then they keep it.

In Wyoming you have to contact Game and Fish. They will come investigate kill site ,if natural you get to keep the skull and horns but have to buy a $3.00 transfer tag which a green metal band attached to the base of the antlers.

also in wyoming you have to leave the bottom jaw. and know the game warden told me it is know $5 bucks

Does anyone know about Washington? I heard it is illegal. But anyone know for sure? thanks

Jordan

Illegal in WA. Don't even ask. They will not let you pick up a skull no matter how it died. Now if you happen to find a nice set of antlers at a yard sale then that's OK. :)

-Lowedog

Picked up an elk skull here in Montana over the weekend. The FWP game warden said that unless there is evidence that the death was human induced, then you can keep the skull and don't even have to take it in or get a tag for it. I took the head to bigsky beetleworks in Florence. Has anyone else had their skulls cleaned by those beetles. I guess that's the only way to go now. The guy told me they can clean an entire elk skull in about 7 hours... that's insane!!!
Tanner

Harem,

Yep, my elk skull from this past rifle season is done, it's only a matter of making the drive to pick it up. I guarantee you will be very satisfied with yours...was it a big 'un? if so post a pic!

I have a colony of beetles and they are the only way to clean a skull.Still alot of work.But they leave all the sinus cavities and the teeth stay in.
Elkhuntr

In Idaho if death of aminal is man caused ie. bullet,arrow,car,etc. you cannot keep the head.
Id of F&G determines what cause of death was.
I was told if animal is just a pile of bones and cause of
death cannot be determined you can keep it. The law
may be interpreted different in other areas but here
in north Idaho that is the law.

berto:

It was definetly a nice bull. I'm thinking he'll be right at 300 maybe a slight over..he's got pretty good mass, but from his teeth, I'm guessing he's only 3 1/2 maybe 4 1/2, but I'll take a find like that any day. I did take some pics, but I sad to say I don't have a digital... I get them up as soon as can burn the role up!!
Tanner

Bucksnort,It could take seven hours to clean a elk skull but it would have to be a huge colony.I can have a deer cleaned in about 24 hours.It all depends if the beetles are working hard or not.They go in a slump sometimes and that slows them down.That is when the are reproducing,at least that is what I was told.
Thanks Elkhuntr

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom