Skull Plate?

K

klunk

I recently got my buck back from the taxidermist. When I went to pick it we noticed the unusual skull plate. The seam that runs down the center of the skull on the forehead area toward the nose, rather than being flat, was raised up nearly an inch in a large bony growth. It looks similar to a healed up broken bone, but the top of the bone still has all those little swirls that make up the seam, only they are all over the knob. The taxidermist didn't have any idea about it and had never seen another like it. The only explanation we could think of was that it had broken it's skull at one point, but I think that for a deer to do that and survive is very unlikely. Does anybody have any better suggestions or have you seen this before?
Thanks
If it will help, I could take a couple pictures of it and post them.

It's very likely that it broke its skull and healed up. I have seen a few elk skulls that were broken and healed. One in particular was broken right across his forehead right through his eye sockets. It was raised up about a 1/4" and then refused. I'm sure it had to hurt...

I've seen an elk to that has had what looked like a break. talk about a killer head ache.

Jake

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom