Sleeping Bags

150fighter

I decided to put this topic in the general hunting section just because more people visit this part of the forum then the optics and hunting gear section.

I want to buy a quality sleeping bag that will last me a long time. I want it to be at least -18C (0F) because I live in the mountains in Canada and it gets pretty cold up here. I also want it to be light for backpacking and such.

I've been looking into the North Face Tundra Sleeping Bag which is -29C (-20). Does anybody else have this sleeping bag and recommend it or dislike it.

Thank you

I dont know about that paticuliar bag. But I use a NorthFace Snowshoe that I realy like, which is rated at 0 degrees F. and it weighs in at 3-10 which I consider pretty decent although there are lighter bags out there.

hntnnut

I use the Slumberjack Baffin rated at 0 degrees F. it is down light and compresses to the size af a vollyball.

I just bought a Slumberjack Glacier 0 degree bag. I needed the long (6'5") model which weighs 3lb12oz, and is filled with Polarguard Delta. The regular(5'11") bag weighs 3lb8oz, and stuffs to 11"x20". Cost $139 for the long at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Ed

150fighter

I have been doing my research for the last few month on exactly what you are looking for. So here it is

Everyone I talk to says that Western Mountaineering is one of the best bags you can get and when compared to the likes of Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardwear, REI etc there is none that can match. Many of these bags are made in other countries and filled in the US. The WM is all made here!!

So first I wanted some light, 0F, and big as I want plenty of room. There are two the fit the Bill, WM has one called the Kodiak Super MF that weigh in at 2lb, 15oz for a 0 degree, 6'6", and has 67" of shoulder girth and 41" foot girth ($435). The other is the Couloir EQ long, this weighs in at 3lb 12oz, 0 degree and has 64" shoulder and 42" foot girth for the 6' 6" model($489).

So the next big question is do you need a long? Many add about 4-6oz to the total weight for this, but I have been told if you are close to 6' go with the bigger so you can put sock or pants in the bottom or just have the extra room--your call but I am 5 11" and it felt much better for the bigger one.

I am also about 220lb and even if I was 190lb--I like the extra girth to move around in and it is worth the extra 4-5oz for this compared to other lighter models.

The last thing is do you go with a DryLoft version or a coated version. Some do not make the DRYloft anymore because it adds 4-6 oz to the bag and that you can be in a situation where the vapor does not go through and thus it will freeze (extreme cold) or you have more vapor IN the bag. Keep in mind that the more liners in the bag (DL is a extra membrane added)the more layers vapor has to pass through. The other option is a higher thread count outside (WM has 400+)and a water repelent coating added. Breaths better and lighter. One thing someone asked me is how many times have I ever gotten my bag wet--NONE so what the DL. Good question and I think some of the bag makers use this fear to sell this feature--which is an extra $100 usually.

By the way you can find some of these bags on eBay if you catch it just right. There is a nice Couloir on right now for $82. It does not have the coating on it (EQ), but still would be a steal for anything less than a couple of houndred dollars.

So i hope this helps.

A couple of other things, I assumed you wanted down, but synthetic is another option. EVERYONE I have talked with says go with down. If you buy a 0F bag in down--40 years from now with proper care it will stay that. Synthetic will be half of the orginal in 20 years. Not saying you will keep it that long, but something to consider. Down is typically lighter for the same loft and degree. YES if you get your down bag wet you are in trouble, but do not let fear get the best of you. Many people that camp and hunt more than I never never get their bag wet. Take care of it and get a good light weight compression bag (new ones out are very very light weight), use a good thermo rest (new light ones out), and if not in a tent use a bivy sac of some sort.

I am not an expert and many people use other bag and love them. This is just what I have learned of the years and what I have found in the last few months of research into the nex technology in the bag manufacturing.

BearCat

I have a Mountain Hardware Universe SL and it's a very good down bag, light in weight, good to 0 degrees and has a coating that is water resistant. I back pack hunt and with a bivy sack, it,s perfect...

If you consider synthetic then look at Wiggys. They have a lifetime warranty so IF the fill looses its loft, they replace it. Can't beat that. My wife is cold natured(except for hot flashes....) and the Wiggys is her favorite bag. They are not that light though but around 4-6 pounds depending.

Now we may have to buy an actual backpacking bag with down at some point but for the time being down to about freezing one of the Wiggys is light enough and works well.

But for extended backpacks down may be on the list sooner or later.

Jeff

I have an older Marmot from back when they made them in Grand Junction, Colorado. It is a very good bag. I also have a Wiggy's bag rated to 0 made here in Grand Junction, in a word it sucks. It has cold spots and is a crude, cheap bag. It is also heavier than hell. I took it back to the factory and had the owner of Wiggy's look at it and got a bunch of crap explanations as to why the spots with less insulation were not cold spots. I use it as a car camping bag only.

BeanMan

never had any problem with my Wiggys--Ultima Thule FTRSS--a bit heavy,7-8lbs, for now I'm willing to pack it---chris

Look at Big Agnes bags. I love how they have a sleeve to slide your pad into.

223098.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom