Slick tricks

E

ELKdaddy

What do you guys think of slick trick broadheads? I thought they are pretty sharp out of the box.

I think they are great. They are sharp and fly very well. I am shooting the 100 gr Magnums they have thicker blades than most other comparable broad heads on the market.

I switched to them this year after quite a bit of research. I have mine tuned perfectly with little effort, and flying as well as I can shoot them. I like the four blade idea, more cutting. They seem to be tough as well, but we will see. I'm sold on them so far. I shoot the 100 gr. mags.

+1 on the four blade design, I too was researching heads and wanted a four blade for the same reason so I ended up with the Slick Tricks.

I had it narrowed down to the Magnus Stingers, Muzzy MX-4, and the Slick Tricks.

The Slick Tricks won for me because I saw lots of good reviews and positive feed back on them, they had thicker blades than the Muzzys, and the Magnus Stingers just looked to big, I'm sure they are a good head but usually larger cutting diameters are harder for me to tune.

The Slick Tricks tuned easy for me as well and are shooting exactly like my field points. I hope I get to try them out on a big stinky bull next month.

Took a cougar with them this last spring. Clean pass through. a little too clean, never found the arrow, it went staight through and kept on going. No complaints here.

I had a bad experience with them a few years ago. And have since switched heads.
I shot the same elk 3 times, 2 of those shots the arrow did not penetrate at all. The first shot was a complete pass through going between ribs but the hit was back further than I would have liked. That shot ended up being the fatal shot. The 2nd shot was at about 40 yards, the elk slightly quartered away, I'm talking 5 degrees tops. The broadhead glanced off the ribs and logged in the front shoulder about 1 to 2" deep. The 3rd shot was a 20 yard quarter away shot and the broadhead again glanced off the ribs and stopped in the front shoulder only about 1" deep. Fortunately the first shot was good enough to do the job, it just took a while for the elk to expire.
My bow by the way is a 65 lb BowTech patriot. My arrows are 350 carbon express maximas.
I'm not sure why the heads did not penetrate but I have never had a problem before or after using different broadheads.

i used them in 05 antelope hunting and at 35 yards completely broadside I got very little penetration. It still was enough to kill him quickly but i wasn't impressed. But my thumb would say they are sharp out of the box. Now i shoot muzzy 100 original and love them.

Thanks,
Gus

Excellent broadheads. I just watched 20+ African animals fall to them, all with quick kills and excellent bloodtrails.

Killed my elk last year with them year and it knocked the hell out of my bull to say the least ! Ive never seen a bull get hit so hard in my life by a stick! He was quartering toward me with his front leg back and I placed it right in front of the shoulder and it sliced one lung and burried in the other lung. It picked him up of his front legs when it hit him and he crashed 50yds down hill and died right there.Only one blade was cracked in the process! So Im sold on them!every one ive shot has flown true out of my bow with no adjustments.100grn. slick tricks! i love-em!

I shot a big bull elk last year with a slick trick. Very poor penetration!!! I shot the bull at 40 yards and made a quality shot on the animal. This was my first time using the tricks and I couldn't believe the lack of penetration on what I thought was a great shot! I did eventually recover the animal a long, long ways from where I shot him! One positive note is that the tricks fly great for me right out of the box! I won't be using them this year!

I was considering using the 125 gr slicks for elk on my upcoming AZ hunt, has anybody else had a bad experience?
jd

when people say they get poor penetration, its easy to blame it on the broadhead. or another peice of equipment.
When in fact, It is usually the shoot placement, not the broadhead. A properly placed feild tip would kill a deer.
If they look solid in your mind, and fly true, you can't go wrong.

I have a few but have never tried them on an animal and from what I have just read probably won't. You should however give the 4 blade stinger a serious look. I have shot a few elk and deer with the stinger and it always blows right through them. But these were perfectly placed shots in the heart lung area. Nothing has ever gone over 50 yards at most. They fly with my field tips, are easy to sharpen, and come with a Lifetime guarantee should they break or bend. They will bend, I have shot a few into a cinder block wall on accident and they bent but I have never had one bend on an animal.

Not trying to create an argument, just trying to be helpful.

Why it is whenever a person asks about a certain product (i.e. Slick Trick) somebody always feels compelled to promote another product and ignore the original question? The idea of any broadhead only penetrating 2 to 3 inches on a perfect broadside shot does not make any sense. There must be more to the stories. The Slick Trick broadheads are great. They are sharp and fly perfect for me. The mags do have a little flight noise. The standards don't and they seem to fly better for me.

It's all in how well your shooting. Arrow placement.
I've been pulling a bow back for 40+ years.
shot sticks with stones on the end, all the way up to the new fandangled cutters of today.
In by book its all about placement.
so pratice, pratice, practice, and you'll do just fine with whitch ever broadhead you choose.
the old saying happyness is a large gut pile.
well i believe it should say "happyness" is a large gut pile that has'nt been shot.

Slick tricks are sharper than they used to be. I've been told the blades are manufactured at the same place as the G5 Striker. Very Very Sharp.

My brother and I have both killed an elk this year...one with a striker and one with a slick trick. Both elk ran less than 20 yards and fell. This little spike fell to a slick trick with massive amounts of blood loss in a very short time. I counted 5 seconds before he was on the ground.

48bac0bd396ce5f5.jpg

48bac0f13b178e4b.jpg

I have done bit of research on shot placement and I used to shoot further back. However, this year we shot both elk just above the shoulder bone and had awesome results. The arrow blew right through both shoulders blades and took out the top of the heart. I was worried about penetration with the tricks at one point but not any more. The entry and exit holes were absolutely huge.

In addition to this elk, I have taken several caribou and a deer with the tricks with similar results. I wouldn't hesitate to use either the stiker or slick trick on elk. Both awesome heads.

Good luck on the hunt!

I shoot a mechanical broadhead called "sonoran" these are very sharp and shoot just like a field tip. They are 1" wide cutting diameter closed and 1 3/4" wide cutting open. My bro and I shot 16 animals last year, and 4 this year and we are very impressed with what these heads have done to animals. I have had a arrow shoot right through the center of a spine bone on a deer and land twenty yards past. Check the sonoran broadheads out and you wont be dissapointed!! Dan

Cleanshot,congrats on your bull. I'll be shooting the 100 gr magnums on my elk hunt as well.First time to use these heads but have heard some great feed back...Proof is in the pudding, your hunt is very much the "pudding"....Again congrats on your elk....

NMHUNTNUTTG,

I was using the standard vs. the magnum. I think penetration is better on elk sized game using the standard. The Mags should work fine though.

Good luck on your hunt! Post some pics.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom