Slow down, safety first!

SneakAttack

Very Active Member
Just got in from a depredation hunt. While field dressing the critter, I lost track of my knife. As I reached up inside to get the wind pipe, my hands slipped off and found the knife! The blade buried deep into my palm. I knew immediately this wasn't just the occasional nick of the knife tip that I'm sure we've all experienced while in the field. I now have something really messed up with with my hand. My fingers aren't working quite right. Numbness in one, and very painful in the others. I have varying degrees of motion in the fingers. I think I may have severed a nerve. Luckily, I wasn't high-up in a back country basin. I should have just slowed down, kept track of my knife and all would have been fine. Coulda been way worse.

We should all take the Beastie Boys' advise, "slow and low, that is the tempo."

Good luck and be safe while in the field.

Nothin to Screw around with here Sneak!

Just talkin from first hand Huntin Experiences!

Almost lost an Arm & a Leg on different Knife Wounds by Toughin things out thinking:"Oh,I'll be OK" not wanting to miss any Hunting Days by Visiting the Doc while I figured Hunting was way more Important!

Let me tell you this:

Ya,We're all Perty Tough until you've got Staff Infection & a Limb in Jeopordy of being Cut Off!

I sure the Hell Hope you don't get Staff Infection Sneak,I can tell you first hand it ain't no fun!

I'd seek some Professional Help imediately if I were you!

Ya,the Ole cat's Home Remedies don't always work!:D

Hope you're Ok my Friend!

Nothin to Screw around with herte!

Been there, done that.....Found a broadhead in a bull that the hunter insisted was a thru and thru shot.

I ended up with seventeen stitches and a nasty infection that lasted for weeks....go to a Doctor asap!

I waited 3 days and would have been ok, but half a sock, ice chest water and duct tape does NOT constitute "first aid".

Hope all is ok, but if you get a desire to move to a warmer climate this winter, feel an urge to consume vast amounts of leafy green veggies, butt heads with your buddies and can't stop sniffing the air....... you may be infected!

Be sure to have yourself cured before Fall.....rut behavior is NOT acceptable in most malls.....except in Utah.

Thanks gents. On my way...I didn't even think of the infection deal.

Just for the record, I'm always rutted up. All I can do though walk around posturing. :)

It's hard to have backstrap and heart with out gutting them. Gutting them is all part of the experience in my book. I'll take the bloody hands, as long as they aren't gut shot. But MUTTMAN has a point. Anyways, good luck on a full recovery and get to the doc.

BC

It ain't hard to get the BackStraps!

The TenderLoins take a little more time to get without Puncturing the Guts!

I've personnally seen Sneak do a gutless job on an antelope including backstraps and loins in less time than I can read the newspaper. It can be done. Thats why I was surprised to read this.

Hope you're ok buddy. Was ya showing Kade what not to do?

Yelum

When I was a lot younger, I used to get Nomad buck fever pretty bad. Even after the kill. I was so excited I always cut myself when gutting a deer. Never failed. It was hard to tell who lost more blood, me or the deer.:)

I finally had to make myself slow down.

Eel

I just wanna throw another little tid bit in.... Never help anyone skin a deer. I have seen two fingets damn near cut off bevause someone needs a little help by saying hold this for a sec. Not worth it... Its either me or you cutting on the animal but never both. I absolutly refuse to help hold anything. Getting stitches sucks specially when its not your deer lol

Right on 31incher!

Tried it once!

Still got a nice Scar about 6" above the knee & the Knife went clear to the Bone!

I slipped and my Knife was headed towards my Brother!

So I yanks it back so the Knife doesn't get him!

I saved Him!:D

GAWD did I pay for that Battle Wound!

"""NEVER more than one Guy Skinning on a single animal!"""

Eel, I read your post and you do not want one of my knives. They are so dang sharp you will end up cutting your fingers off and spoil the vension burgers.

RELH

Ya slow down and be safe out there. Sure some of you guys rmember the story last year, I lost a coworker last year to a knife. Knicked himself in his heart while taken care of his buck. I have killed 3 animals since he passed away and i always think of him. He was one hell of a guy sure miss him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom