Small Missile Range

K

KYHunterman

Does anybody have any ideas about Small Missile Range???? I have oryx hunt in Jan and any help would be great

Make sure you take a good friend to help you pack the oryx out... and repay that friend by helping pack elk quarters out in September!! haha! Can't wait for that hunt John!

This is the lowest hunter success hunt on the range. There will be a lot of hunters, small area, and not that many Oryx. If or when you find an Oryx you better go after it, this will not be a pick and choose hunt for you. Success has been around 70%. I hunt them all and this is the hardest of them all. If you want more information contact me directly so we don't take up too much room on the forum.

Kiowa Hunting Service
www.kiowahunting.com
[email protected]

I hunted it last year. There were way too many hunters and very few oryx. I had a shot at a small broken horned oryx the first morning and passed it up. The only others I saw were way out of range running from all of the traffic (most of the hunters just drive the roads looking for the oryx). I know that is not the news you wanted to hear. Maybe it will be better for you.

My son drew a SMR hunt for September. My dad killed his there 9 years ago, and my mom killed hers 3 years ago. I really like the SMR. I just got off the phone with the biologist, and he said numbers are down somewhat, but the last few hunts they've had the success rates have been between 85% and 90%. He said a few years ago they had a hunt with horrible weather, and success dipped down to 65%. 65% is still great odds for a hunt. Have fun, and enjoy.

I did a post a month back or so, search for help for lucky oryx hunters, should help a bunch. Its not a easy hunt, if you choose to hunt guided that would be a great range to hunt with one!!

One of the proposals for the 2009-2010 Big Game Regs is to remove the SMR from the "once-in-a-lifetime" list, I guess because the hunt quality has gone down.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom