Snakes

S

sealer

Should we plan for rattlers on an antelope hunt?

Do you use gaiters or just keep your eyes open and navigate?

Thx - Drew

Just hit them with your purse
--------------------------------------

"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

Yes, rattlesnakes are out during the antelope season (especially early), but just keep your eyes and ears open and hunt.
See them every year, but if you hunt the higher elevation areas, the less chance of seeing any.

YES.....IN SEPT/ OCT THEY ARE OUT.....GAITERS WONT CUT IT....GET SOME LEGGINS.....I HAVE CORDURA.....JUST HUNT LOPE....NOT SNAKES.....YD.

You just have to pay attention to where you step or place your hands. The wind can play havoc with your hearing as you might be really close to one & not hear it. A buddy of mine was climbing the side of a hill & put his hand right next to one. He never heard it & honestly i don't know why he didn't get bit, must of been one of those nice rattlesnakes!

7 Mag

If they are up in the sage, boots won't cover what they might bite. If it's pretty warm they let you know they are around if they are cold you could step over them and it's not a big deal then again when you step on one it gets pretty pissed, in my experience. Expect the same colors of green and gray that are on sage brush not the browns like we have in the east. I've only ran into a half dozen or so in 30 years and only stepped on one. Take extra underwear in case you do !

Pat C.

JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU MIGHT NOT SEE ONE.....WHAM !!! HUNT OVER.....HOSPITAL HERE WE COME....NEXT 3-5 MONTHS WILL BE WEIRD & COSTLY.....GET CORDURA.........YD.

Just keep your eyes and ears open, you may see a rattler, but they are few and far between. Just go around them and you'll have no worries, odds are they will see you before you see them and they will let you know when you are too close.

I like seeing them, I think they are neat as heck, then again, I like snakes. Everyone thought I was crazy last year when I picked one up and was showing everyone, then couldn't understand that I let him go. I know, everyone thinks they need to be killed, especially my dad, he still can't believe I let it live.

:) and they run in spurts. Dependent on water that year and rabbits etc to eat. Some years lots some year not so many.

Pat C.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-10 AT 11:36PM (MST)[p]Here ya go!

5939porter_springs_rattler.jpg

From my last pronghorn hunt.

Thanks for the serious responses...and to the less-than-serious; they had me rolling!!!

"Hit it with your purse" and "navigating with your eyes closed"...good humor with sarcasm included are my FAVORITES! I could go on and on...

BTW - when I mentioned gaiters, I was referring to the Cordura type and that was the main issue. How is stalking with these? Clumsy, uncomfortable? I've done some 200 yd belly-stalks on MD and will assume I'll have the same situation or more on a 0 Point Special License that's probably been hit 5K times before we get there.

Thanks again. Funny sh!t.

Drew

Drew I take knee pads to put on when I do a stalk. Till then they ride on my daypack. The area of northeast WY I hunt has a crap load of cactus and they are the gift that keeps giving. I was messing with my ursak the other day and got one of those little almost invisible POS spines in my from Sept. ! As far as Gaiters I'm thinking you are talking snake gaiters ? I live close to the Rocky factory and wear snake boots when I antelope hunt partly because for a while I was getting them for 25 bucks a pair. Like several have stated the snakes are not alway on the ground so getting bit in the face or thigh is a possibility . I do wear turtle skin brush hunting pants most years over the boots and with them being loose fit I think a snake most likely would miss getting me on the skin most times. If I was going to spring for a high dollar deal I might get snake chaps over gaiters.

Pat C.

Snakes don't really bother me.
We saw plenty of them last October on a deer/antelope hunt near Douglas Wyoming.

1257989328.jpg

1257989327.jpg

They were about half the size of our California rattlers.
If it's warm they will be out
The cactus are worse than the snakes.
HH

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom