Snowy Range Elk

Whiterock

Very Active Member
I will be hunting unit 10 the first two weeks in October for elk.Any info on the area ?I have never hunted this unit,will be hunting public land.I have heard it gets lots of hunting pressure,but can't be any worse than where I was at in Colorado last year.

If you hunt it without having much for expectations, you probably won't be disappointed. 10 get's hammered as do all the area's in the Snowy's. Imagine the numbers are still in the 1000's for the amount of hunters in each area. If you have a choice, I'd go hunt 12. That Cedar Gulch country was my favorite. Usually about the same numbers of hunters with all the general area's, but 12 always had better success rates. I had some spots above Rock Ck I liked. Shot a fair number of elk up until the mid/late 90's. Then atv abuse started to become a problem, so I moved on...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-13 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]You cant swing a dead cat around in Wyoming without hitting an elk...and thats a fact.

If you cant find an elk in the Snowy's...you simple arent looking. Lots of them.

In the 14 years I've hunted Wyoming for elk, I've never had a single day of rifle hunting that I couldnt have killed at least 1 bull...ever.

>Thanks for the reply. I am
>prepared for the crowd. Hope
>to find a good vantage
>point .

No problem. You can also do yerself a favor and look at the G&F harvest stats. Kind of tells the story with some of those areas...

Triple and Buzz are both right--lots of people, but good elk numbers. Get as far away from the crowd as you can. You can do this from above or below Rock Creek, but prepared to put some miles on the boots.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-13 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]I have hunted pressured elk before and, have a plan in mind.get a good vantage point amd let other hunters push them arround.i plan on hunting just like hunting Michigan public land whitetails.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom