So how did it go?

NECALI

Anyone have any sucess Sat.?B or C zones.We went last year to the Yolla bolla wilderness and had 3 three points within the first hour of daylight.Was hoping to go again this year but it didn't work out.I talked to my brother from the valley and he hadn't heard to much other than the bucks were scarce.Anyone do any good?

Well i sure didn't do any good. I hunted the hatchet fire outa Burney for a couple days. Used to be nice country that a guy could glass for miles. Now it's full up with 20 foot trees packed tight. There's deer there, i only saw does, but i didn't see a buck dead or alive...even in the back of someones rig.

It's back to work for a week or so then another 4-5 day hunt somewhere else.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-08 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0261?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared
YEP! WEATHER CHANNEL 10 DAY FORCAST HAS RAIN,WIND,SNOW IN IT FOR NORTHERN CA! Hope it holds to be true!
rm

Well, for a change I had some luck! Shot a 17" 3pt with 1" eyeguards first thing in the morning, and then filled my 2nd tag on another 3 pt that evening!!! So done and tagged out in one day in the B zone!

Blacktailslayer, Right on Man!! Filled both tags same day! Don't see that to often.

I'm a fine one to ask cause i don't know how yet, but, got any pic's you can share?

Joey

I hunted the first two days. I saw 23 does and fawns Saturday, and 7 does and one spike Sunday morning. All while walking a cut block. While back at camp for lunch some road hunters killed two just around the corner from camp.:( (I hate when that happens)

A few of my friends killed some real monster bucks the first weekend.

Right place at the right time!

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-08 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Blacktailslayer,I bet that doesn't happen very often.Good job.I know of a few people who would love to just see 1 buck and get a crack at him.Were you in the wilderness somewhere? By the way are you related to the Jennings in Corning?

Sage,

I'm putting on the computer tonight and will have them up probably tomorrow. By no means are either of them monsters, but just the same I was happy as hell with them!

As far as where I was hunting, its not in the wilderness, its more on the fringe of it.

Blacktailslayer, Hey guy! They don't have to be monsters to enjoy seeing them. I like em all! Yes, the monsters are nice but it's great to have a place like this where us buds can show all and tell some about our hunts and the bucks we got, or got away, hunting in the real world.

No matter if they were dinks, getting a couple three point blacktails on opening day is no easy feat, especially tough on public ground!!

Joey

Hunted B2 opening weekend. we got rain on Friday before and it was cool to cold so we thought we'd have good conditions. Turns out with all the fires burning out deer lick springs and harrison gulch and the yolla bolly's closed, everybody showed up on our mountain. there were dozens of camps in areas i haven't seen guys camped on in 10 years. we were never in the right place at the right time but I did see one guy with a very nice 3X3. and at the end of the day we met up with another guy giving a decent 4X3 a ride in his truck. I did hear a lot of shooting at sunup for the first time in a lot of years... funny how the whole mountain clears out by noon on Sunday. why wait all year for the opener just to spend a day and a half?? nuts...

Same report my buddy's gave me.

I hunt the alps a lot.
What happens is you catch those bucks on the open southern hillsides, find the one you want, make the shot then all the deer bail off into the thick dark timber.
They know the routine.
Opening day volley, then not a shot for about two days afterwords.
Same thing every year.
They timber up till the pressure is off then trickle back to their summer patterns.
Many times I put all my eggs in one basket for an opening day score unless the weather has them moving.

HH

48e1326813af9c31.jpg

48e132b3172c8579.jpg

48e132f319ce008f.jpg

These are my two opening day bucks in the B-zone!!!

Hey big guy! Those are dandy Blacktail bucks. When you consider that they were took on public ground...Awesome! I'm glad for you!

Anybody else in the family or group that you can tag along with still needing to fill out? At least that way, you can still get out there and at least do some glassing. There's good and bad about filling out on the first day. Those bucks you took though, would be awful tough to pass on. Thanks! & Congrats!!!

Joey

Blacktailslayer, those are both good bucks. Congratulations!

I really like the looks of that country!

Eel

good job!
it was the natural gear camo!lol
Thats all I buy now ..tired of realtree stuff!
I am out of town thurday night/early friday!
rm

Blueoak, hey bud, we haven't forgot. Now it's your turn.lol Are you gonna post some pic's of that 4x3? love to see em!!

Joey

Thanks for the comments guys. I went back up with a buddy and we saw a ton of deer but no horns on anything, and one little tiny yearling cinnamon bear. Went down to one of my favorite spots and came around the corner and my cousin was standing in the road with 1 of the 3 bucks I'd been seeing in there. So that was about it for this weekend.

Sounds like rain coming in this weekend!!! Get them bucks movin'...

Good luck guys

Nice buck, i would be happy to put my tags on them dandys. Way to go.
blktail

blacktailslayer- 2 bucks on opening day? How often does that happen? Way to go! Looks like you'll have half a freezer full of meat.....our deer are kinda small!! HaHa. Congrats.

Steve

Sage the pictures are still in the camera! I got a management buck on the 20th but didn't snap a shot of him. I only hunt A-zone in Cali. I get it done. Nice bucks slayer

NICE bucks BT slayer Way to get it done. Deffinatley two trophies for Cali blacktail hunting.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin grizz"

BTSlayer, nice bucks. I really like the pic of the COVE buck with the dead conifer next to the alders in the middle of Shish Creek. Good job.

Season's over::

Smallish antelope in NV.

Fantastic waterfowl hunt in Alberta best hunt was 36 honkers, 35 mallards/pintail the last morning for the 6 of us (3 couples)

Colorado archery elk= best hunt of my life

Wyoming antelope. Girlfriend and her son took their first big game. Tina a doe and a buck, Zack a buck.

Read details of Colorado elk on the elk forum. "Done for 08"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom