So is this representative of New Mexico?

birdog

So I am over there hunting mule deer and it makes more sense now that I see they all voted for Obama. Only state in the west with no common sense? Anyway me and my buddy are driving down the road and this guy, not sure if he is Mexican, indian or what but he has greased back hair, 1 front tooth left and he is riding a real thin looking, half dead horse. He flags us down. He starts explaining how he is turned around and lost and we said we are from out of state and didn't know the area, he said that was OK and finally pronounced the campground in the area in some sort of English to where we understood after 3 tries, we told him we thought it was one way so we took off and in about 5 minutes realize it was the opposite direction so we turned around to let him know, and the crazy SOB was on a full run with his half dead horse down the middle of the main road, we came around a corner and nearly had a smashed horse and rider barely stopped and we nearly killed him. So a few days later my buddy is up on the hill glassing sage flats and 30 minutes before dark this white truck comes barreling up the sage flats, the dudes tossing beer cans. There were a couple of herds of deer on the sage flats with dinky 2 points. Well the guy sees the first group, slams on his brakes and the deer are running everywhere. The drunken guy starts trying to loudly grunting like a deer out the window. The deer don't stop. So he goes a little further and stops and starts taking a piss, one hand holding his dynamite and the other has his gun up over the hood of the truck and he is glassing via the scope. In mid piss he notes the second herd of deer. Believe it or not while he was taking a leak, he fires a shot at the baby buck and wounds it. Zips up and roles over and in the headlights finishes the buck off. My buddy watched the whole episode in the spotting scope. Couldn't believe what he saw. Well he came over and asked the fellow if he could give him a hand getting the buck in his truck. After multiple failed attempts the guy allowed the help and after a few more beers, was off. During their coversation my buddy discovered that the horse rider and the guy were both in the same camp. Who would have thought. The New Mexicans were a much better show than the deer! Hopefully, next time we will meet some normal guys over there or is that the norm?????????????

Im not to sure where your from, but this is most defintily not a good representative of New Mexico. I think that situtation occurs( minus the horse event) in every hunting state and you just happen to be in the middle of it.

Sorry to hear about that especially little to no ethics. My question is why did your buddy not take the license plate and report him for drinking and driving not to mention the use of a firearm while drinking. Next time it may not be a wounded buck maybe a wounded hunter. Please let us know what unit this happened in.

This sounds like every 2B hunt I have ever been on. It is a freaking circus, lines of trucks roadhunting before daylight that wont let you get around them because they think you are after their fork horn, the drunken idiots everywhere, ethics? what are those. What I love the most, is the guy in the 80's model chevy, with an ATV or "bike" as they call them, in the back, with his kid sitting on it, with a 30-30 across his lap, the entire time dads pounding the budweisers, and wont let anyone pass, because you might get his fork horn before him. Thats my favoite... Its amazing! What you dont see are game wardens out when these guys are hunting, G&F usually show up at 10 or so when all the fun is over. Sorry you had to deal with the scum that surfaces during hunting season, but it happens. All New Mexicans arent that bad. We stopped hunting areas in 2B because of this crap.

Pissing and shooting a deer at the same time is pretty good, now if he did that without putting down his beer I am really impressed.
Seriously though, it is sad that to some people that is what hunting is all about.
I always try to avoid people while hunting just because of stuff like that.

It was in 2b! Same guy told us that though this was a small buck for him, he had killed 4 bucks in the past in the same sage flat that were 31 inches. Why didn't the license plate get taken, maybe because it was a mixture of being so funny and unbelievable at the same time that it was like seeing a UFO just stood there is disbelief. Oh yes and one morning 30 minutes before light a guy was crawling along in his truck and would not let us past apparently for fear we would go through his honey hole before light. what a joke and then they moved the dates a week earlier, I was seriously disappointed with what is supposed to be one of new mexico's premier hunts!

NM has no Premier hunts.It's premier to NM cause thats the best we got.I see people talk how bad Utah is,little do they know.

I also quit putting in for 2b along time ago.
Between poaching gas workers and the circus of the hunts.

One year there was a DUI checkpoint set up at the bottom of American hill.

Also saw a Bo Duke gas worker run head on into a game warden.
I think thae wardens name was Rasco.P Coltrane

There is nothing funny about alcohol and guns. I had a buddy shot a few years ago by someone drinking almost killed him. Glad no one got hurt.

42% of new mexicans aren't like that. unfortunately the rest....well, they proved themselves in the election.

Agreed nothing funny about alcohol and guns, but was funny as anything imagining a guy shooting off the hood of his truck one hand stabilizing his deal, the other holding the gun.

There may be some truth to the 42% thing, but it's not just in NM.

I got into bow hunting at a young age in large part due to this type of craziness. I killed my first deer on an over the counter rifle hunt in Utah in the early 90's. It was a freaking war zone up there...I still have flashbacks!!

Colorado wasn't much better when a father shot and killed his own son shooting into the bushes in the area we were hunting.

I've witnessed guys drinking and driving with their 30-30's in pretty much every state I've ever been during a rifle hunt...as well as turkey hunts.

A party (pun intended) will come and camp right next to you and stay up drinking and yelling all night, only to go driving around early in the morning with loaded guns.

I still rifle hunt, but I try like hell to get away from others. I do not trust anyone out there...and that just kind of sucks and can really take away from the experience hunt.

First off NM is by no means the only state in the west that voted for Obama. You have to include CO, NV, CA, OR, & WA. And I for one did not vote for him. Although I am pretty embarrassed by the stupidity of 56% of this state. Second if you want to avoid the knuckle draggers you need to take up a ML or a bow..... and that's in most any state. It seems that I read about a knuckle dragger in your state dressed up like a mountain goat while scouting for them a couple of months ago. Is that representative of UTAH?????

Wow more like albuqueereque and Santa gay voted for Obama and their are douche bags everywhere if our state is so ba go hunt mule deer somewhere else... I hunte with texans that can't get hit a bulls ass with a hand full of rice and they think they are so much better then everybody else private land doesn't mean crap... I that a good representation of Texas? Quote from a rich snobby Texan "these are gods deer... I can hunt them when I want and where I want..." Texans are some real good road hunters to I tell ya them can use the window as window as a rest like nobody's business

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-12 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]>Wow more like albuqueereque and Santa
>gay voted for Obama and
>their are douche bags everywhere
>if our state is so
>ba go hunt mule deer
>somewhere else... I hunte with
>texans that can't get hit
>a bulls ass with a
>hand full of rice and
>they think they are so
>much better then everybody else
>private land doesn't mean crap...
>I that a good representation
>of Texas? Quote from a
>rich snobby Texan "these are
>gods deer... I can hunt
>them when I want and
>where I want..." Texans are
>some real good road hunters
>to I tell ya them
>can use the window as
>window as a rest like
>nobody's business

Might want to learn to spell a little better before you bash on all Texans. I take it your a representative of New Mexico's education system?

I'm not trying to start a pissing match with you, just please don't generalize each person because of where they come from. I'm from Texas and hunt New Mexico, Texas and Idaho. I put in my fair share of miles hiking/hunting each year. The Texan you describe above is a scum bag poacher and there are plenty of them in every state.

First of all Political party affiliation does not determine if a hunter is ethical or not. I have hunted with friends and relatives throughout the years from both sides of the isle and they have all been ethical well to do folks that are just enjoying the great freedom to hunt and enjoy Gods country. Do not bring politics into this forum (I think there is a forum on MM that is specifically for that).

It is unfortunate that you had to run across idiot hunters as you did (thank God it did not turn out worse). I have seen some crazy things while hunting as well in NM and CO and all I can say is there are a small percentage of hunters that go for the Drinking/Partying and they throw safety and ethics to the wind. This is very sad but true in every state.

It is true what was previously mentioned about going on the muzzle loader or bow hunts instead as there seem to be Much less idiots out on those hunts.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom