So. Region Deer Unit Open Houses

elkfromabove

Very Active Member
The Southern Region DWR is holding open houses regarding the deer unit plans with the following schedule:

Feb 5 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Fillmore & Beaver Units.
Fillmore Library
25 S 100 W, Fillmore

Feb 11 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Mt Dutton & Panguitch Lake Units
Triple C Arena
50 E 900 N, Panguitch

Feb 12 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Pine Valley & Zion & SW Desert Units
DWR Office
1470 N Airport Rd, Cedar City

Feb 19 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Monroe & Fish Lake & Thous. Lake & Boulder Units
Sevier Co Admin Building
250 N Main, Richfield

This will be interesting.

Alot of southern guys want to see better deer hunting.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a push for higher B/D ratio's,
OR even the idea of going to LE------

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

>
>This will be interesting.
>
>Alot of southern guys want to
>see better deer hunting.
>
>Wouldn't be surprised to see a
>push for higher B/D ratio's,
>
>OR even the idea of going
>to LE------
>
>
>
4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Where have you been? It's been going on for years starting with the overcrowding issue, then Option #2, then Mineral Mountain and now Partners in Pine Valley.

"Better deer hunting" means higher B/D ratios and more LE units? Maybe to you and the other 30% of Utah's deer hunters who only want to hunt trophies even if it takes 10 to 20 years to draw a permit, but not to me and the other 70% who would rather hunt more often.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-15 AT 11:18PM (MST)[p]The Fillmore open house wasn't quite what I expected and hoped for, but maybe the others will be a bit different. There were several tables set around the sides of the room with info on them, but only one was showing videos (habitat projects, while the others just had brochures and/or 8x11 "table copies" of info which you could read but not take. And only one table was attended by a DWR person (the habitat table). There were several DWR employees circulating around the room but it was hard to carry on a detailed conversation with them without being interrupted and they often had to refer to another employee, because the question you asked wasn't in their field of expertise.

We did end up with handouts of the current unit management plans (Fillmore and Beaver) and a page showing regionwide harvest data, populations & population objectives, buck to doe ratios and objectives as well as 2013 and 2014 permit numbers, and also a booklet about statewide deer management. We also were able to pick up and fill out a comment card, but I chose to take it home and I'll hand it in later. In fact, I'll copy it and hand in cards for both units.

However, the hour I spent was promising because I met Gary Mayer of the Milford Wildlife group and had quite a long conversation with him and found out we (UWC and Milford Wildlife) have quite a bit in common regarding our philosophy and future plans. We'll meet in Milford to discuss this further.

I'm not sure how or if the other regions are handling these unit by unit plans, but I'll try to find out. The Southern Region DWR folks didn't know either.

Edited: I didn't see a signup sheet so I'm not sure how many attended in the first hour, but I'd say there were about 2 dozen to 30 outdoorsmen.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom